The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-26-2018, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmarino View Post
Hi all. Three new live videos of my J-15 with the new Fishman Matrix Infinity Mic Blend, for those looking for 'real world' evidence of the system. The J-15 was plugged straight into the board. Strings are D'Addario Nickel Bronze. You may want to use headphones, due to the background pub noise.
Wow! The guitar sounds great in these clips. I always find strummed guitars harder to achieve natural tone but this sounds exactly how I like it.
If you don't mind me asking, how much of the mic is blended in? Did you have to EQ it a lot on the board?
Old 09-26-2018, 11:12 AM

Yeah, this system is excellent, at least for my purposes. I have been through SO many pickups over the last 8 years. Seriously, I'm too embarrassed to list them all, but this is the tone I've been seeking.

To your questions... I keep the blend at just a little bit below the half-way notch and I put the tone control a fair bit toward the scooped end. As for the EQ, my friend was running the board that night, so I can't be sure. He didn't spend much time there, I can say that. He had to turn the overall volume (mic and guitar) down at the start of the first song (you can hear a bit of feedback, which never came back once he did that). The on-stage sound was really great, so I was not surprised when I got these videos today. It really is an excellent system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsum View Post
Wow! The guitar sounds great in these clips. I always find strummed guitars harder to achieve natural tone but this sounds exactly how I like it.
If you don't mind me asking, how much of the mic is blended in? Did you have to EQ it a lot on the board?
http://sptfy.com/94Ue
Old 09-26-2018, 07:54 PM

Clips sound nice for sure. Thing is though, there's nothing really revolutionary or new with regards to this system. I feel that it's always going to have that UST piezo tone with that hollow/inside the guitar mic'd tone. Sorry, not trying to be negative, I am just not sure if this is really an improvement over previous Matrix systems with internal mics?
Old 09-27-2018, 11:42 AM

Quote:
To your questions... I keep the blend at just a little bit below the half-way notch and I put the tone control a fair bit toward the scooped end. As for the EQ, my friend was running the board that night, so I can't be sure. He didn't spend much time there, I can say that. He had to turn the overall volume (mic and guitar) down at the start of the first song (you can hear a bit of feedback, which never came back once he did that). The on-stage sound was really great, so I was not surprised when I got these videos today. It really is an excellent system.
Thank you for the answers. Looks like nothing extraordinary was going on to process the sound, which is a good thing, the pickup does its job as it's supposed to.
Old 09-28-2018, 02:18 AM

That's correct. As I said before, I find it to be one of the best pickup systems I've used (and I've used many). Every time I've played live with this setup, I've been told by audience members how great the guitar sounded. I'm quite pleased.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsum View Post
Thank you for the answers. Looks like nothing extraordinary was going on to process the sound, which is a good thing, the pickup does its job as it's supposed to.
Old 09-29-2018, 12:41 PM

Quote:
That's correct. As I said before, I find it to be one of the best pickup systems I've used (and I've used many). Every time I've played live with this setup, I've been told by audience members how great the guitar sounded. I'm quite pleased.
Just wondering what other pickups you have tried?
Old 09-29-2018, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
Just wondering what other pickups you have tried?
In no particular order (and across a number of guitars over the years):

• B-Band UST
• Fishman Sonitone
• L.R. Baggs Element (alone and with a Fishman Aura pedal)
• Fishman Matrix Infinity (alone and with a Fishman Aura pedal)
• Yamaha LL16 (built-in system from the factory)
• Fishman F1 Aura+ (built-in from factory for my 00-15e Retro)
• K&K Pure Mini
• L.R. Baggs Anthem
• L.R. Baggs Lyric
• Fishman Rare Earth Mic Blend (2017 model)
• Seymour Duncan Mag Mic (currently in my D-18)
• Schertler M-AG6 with S-MIC-M condenser
• L.R. Baggs M80
• Fishman Matrix Infinity Mic Blend
Old 09-30-2018, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscom View Post
Zandit, much thanks. I've been on a quest to replace the Sonitone on my Marti GPRS1.

I had my luthier replace the Sonitone with an Anthem system in my DRS2. He was able to use the battery box and 1/4 in ch jack. Makes for a really clean retrofit. And easy to change batteries!
Old 09-30-2018, 05:23 PM

Quote:

• B-Band UST
• Fishman Sonitone
• K&K Pure Mini
• L.R. Baggs Anthem
• L.R. Baggs Lyric
• L.R. Baggs M80
Perfect, thanks! I sent you a PM as well.
Old 09-30-2018, 06:30 PM

How do you compare it against the LR Baggs Anthem and the Seymour Duncan mag mic?

Quote:

• B-Band UST
• Fishman Sonitone
• K&K Pure Mini
• L.R. Baggs Anthem
• L.R. Baggs Lyric
• L.R. Baggs M80
Old 10-01-2018, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drakoryn View Post
How do you compare it against the LR Baggs Anthem and the Seymour Duncan mag mic?
I gigged for quite some time with an Anthem in a J-45. It was definitely better than a pure piezo pickup, but it never felt 'full' to my ears. It was also not as natural sounding as I wanted. Sort of a thin, somewhat processed tone. The Mag Mic is nice. It's not as natural sounding as the Matrix Infinity Mic Blend (probably due to the magnetic pickup), and it lacks a little bottom end, but it's a good system. I will likely put another Matrix Mic Blend into the D-18 eventually, but for now I'm mostly gigging with the J-15 so I'm in no rush.

For me, the tone from the Matrix Infinity Mic Blend is full, natural, and consistent. I've played it through a Grace Design BiX preamp/DI, and I've plugged straight into the board. Either way, I've been really happy with the tone.
Old 11-24-2018, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Clips sound nice for sure. Thing is though, there's nothing really revolutionary or new with regards to this system. I feel that it's always going to have that UST piezo tone with that hollow/inside the guitar mic'd tone. Sorry, not trying to be negative, I am just not sure if this is really an improvement over previous Matrix systems with internal mics?
I kind of wonder the same. I've been using the Fishman Matrix blend system that came in my Cordobas for 15 years or so. They sound... fine. The onboard barn-door EQ section is very helpful for quick-and-dirty adjustments, muting, feedback help, etc. I tend to use between 10%-50% of mic, depending on my mood and the venue.

Certainly any improvement this system makes must be incremental. Same pickup. Different mic--I guess? Different voicing of the pre-amp seems to be the main thing, along with fewer controls (no notch, no adjustable mid-band, no separate bass and trebles).
Old 04-23-2019, 12:10 AM

I forgot to upload this video a couple of weeks ago.
The guitar is one I built myself back in September through the Gold Coast Guitar Building School in Queensland. Australian Blackwood back & sides, Silver Quandong top with Fishman Matrix Infinity Mic Blend installed, into a Boss Acoustic Singer Pro amp at approx half volume. Mic blend is normally set to approx 30%
https://www.facebook.com/liz.hales.7...0NDAyNTE0MzI4/
2022 Yamaha SLG200S Silent Guitar
Old 04-25-2019, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Personally I don't think any of the pickup systems discussed on this forum are revolutionary. What I do think is, much of the outboard gear is getting better, and I think this pickup with the right outboard gear can sound pretty good. It's easier to EQ out something than it is to add, and with what I'm hearing, I think I could EQ out some of the piezo quack, much easier than I could eq the woof out of K&Ks, EQ out the compression artifacts of the Lyric or Anthem, or add body to most of the soundboard transducers that don't punch hard enough for me. It's really hard though to judge from youtube videos of a bar gig, as this was a straight to the board demo with youtube compression and bar noise. But I hear the nugget of a good sound, and I think Fishman has done a good job with this pickup and is an improvement over the old model.
Old 04-25-2019, 11:24 PM

whoops double post

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification