The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Closed Thread

Old 09-28-2016, 08:11 AM

Thanks for the shots of the woods behind your shop - beautiful place!
Old 09-28-2016, 08:26 AM
AGF Sponsor

Hey Mark,
I'll veer off of the beaten path of replies, and venture down the road less traveled...
This natural scenery is magnificent. I can see where, with a stroll through your natural surroundings, you can return to the shop energized and filled with creative ideas. Even though a guitar is an engineering marvel, requiring technical perfection in order to produce a desired tone, and also withstand the immense forces placed on it.....it is also an organic and natural wonder. A luthier must wear the hats of both Engineer and Artist, being proficient at both. It's easy to imagine, seeing the natural beauty that you are surrounded by, that the artistic flame inside of you is continually fanned. Nature has always been the most influential instructor to my creative endeavors...especially when I slow down, become aware, and allows it to encompass all of my senses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Hatcher View Post
We made the move from NJ to Peterborough NH a little over 3 years now and I thought I'd show some reasons why we moved. I thought I'd start by showing some of the trees in the forest behind my shop. I hike back in there quite a bit and here are a couple pictures of one of the Red Spruce stands;

Some of them get quite large but, it's easy to see why ADI has so many knots;

As you get a little more altitude the stand becomes almost pure Red Spruce;

Here is a little better perspective;

As a guitar builder I find the experience of walking among the spruce very inspirational!

Thanks for viewing.
Mark

‘17 Two Hands Guitar Co.
0000/Auditorium, Sitka/Indonesian RW

‘93 Taylor 712 (I spent 20 years trying to convince the owner to sell me this guitar)

‘95 Taylor Limited Edition GAWS (I traded my Gibson J-200 for this guitar in ‘95)

TWO HANDS GUITARS
Old 09-28-2016, 01:28 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgillard View Post
It almost looks like ripples in water. Nice!
Yeah, it does look a bit like light reflecting on water especially when it moves.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ VanSandt View Post
Thanks for the shots of the woods behind your shop - beautiful place!
You're welcome, New Hampshire is 96% covered in forest. Only Next door in Maine is there a higher percentage of cover.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wood Knot View Post
Hey Mark,
I'll veer off of the beaten path of replies, and venture down the road less traveled...
This natural scenery is magnificent. I can see where, with a stroll through your natural surroundings, you can return to the shop energized and filled with creative ideas. Even though a guitar is an engineering marvel, requiring technical perfection in order to produce a desired tone, and also withstand the immense forces placed on it.....it is also an organic and natural wonder. A luthier must wear the hats of both Engineer and Artist, being proficient at both. It's easy to imagine, seeing the natural beauty that you are surrounded by, that the artistic flame inside of you is continually fanned. Nature has always been the most influential instructor to my creative endeavors...especially when I slow down, become aware, and allows it to encompass all of my senses.
Thanks for your comments. A good walk in the woods is a great way to clear my head and think about the bigger picture of my designs and direction.

Mark

“Let me make the songs of a nation, and I care not who makes its laws.”. Andrew Fletcher
Old 10-02-2016, 07:19 AM
AGF Sponsor

Default Traffic

Traffic is really backed up for my commute to work today!;

“Let me make the songs of a nation, and I care not who makes its laws.”. Andrew Fletcher
Old 10-02-2016, 07:25 AM
FKA matthewpartrick :)

Those turkeys don't know how to drive. Call animal control.
Old 10-03-2016, 08:44 AM
AGF Sponsor

Default Ready for finish

I have this Greta ready for finish today. It's EIR with Alpine Swiss Moon Spruce and Cocobolo trim (a little bling on the heel cap). It's left handed, has an arm bevel, and large sound port.
Other features include;

Semi-hemispherical fret end dressing
25" scale
Lattice braced active back
Hybrid lattice braced top
Rosewood neck
and more to come!

Thanks for viewing!
Mark

Old 10-03-2016, 04:00 PM

Now that is a fantastic headstock veneer!
Old 10-04-2016, 07:34 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
Now that is a fantastic headstock veneer!
Thanks Tom! It will redden up along with the rest of the Cocobolo with finish on it. The EIR back and sides will darken so there will be a lot more contrast. I'm looking forward to seeing this come together.

Mark

Old 10-05-2016, 07:57 AM
AGF Sponsor

Default Parlor update

I'd hoped to have this guitar already strung up by now but I've been a bit delayed making a new top for Bacchus, and getting ready for Friday's Sharon Art's exhibit reception and the Monadnock Studio tour Saturday and Sunday. Plus, I've started my October guitar. I did get some time in on this though and have set the neck, made and glued the Black Ebony bridge, mounted the tuners, and installed the strap pins;

Want a quick peek at what I'm starting for my October guitar?

Thanks for viewing!
Mark

Old 10-05-2016, 11:09 AM
Charter Member

Olivewood? If so, olfactory heaven!
Old 10-05-2016, 02:37 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nootis View Post
Olivewood? If so, olfactory heaven!
You got that right nootis, it's Olivewood. When that wood hits a sander the whole studio smells like an Italian restaurant. I never had a wood make me hungry before!

Mark

Old 10-07-2016, 10:48 AM
AGF Sponsor

Default Art Tour

Setting up for the Art Tour tomorrow and Sunday. Here we are putting out the shingle;

Last year was the first time we opened the studio, joining 50 other local artists and it was surprisingly busy. I even got a couple orders. So we're taking it more seriously this year. The only down side is I don't get to visit all the other artists. There is some real talent out here. For instance, there is Lita Judge right down the road who illustrates and writes children's books. One of her books (Flight School) is currently running as a Broadway play.

Mark

Old 10-07-2016, 06:21 PM

Looks good Mark, if I were in town I would drive over, but alas, I am not. I hope it goes well....I assume you will have three guitars in various states of repair for display including Bachus, the padouk, and that new olivewood, wow, wow, wow. That should be good for a couple more orders I would think!
Old 10-08-2016, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Hatcher View Post
I have this Greta ready for finish today. It's EIR with Alpine Swiss Moon Spruce and Cocobolo trim (a little bling on the heel cap). It's left handed, has an arm bevel, and large sound port.
Other features include;

Semi-hemispherical fret end dressing
25" scale
Lattice braced active back
Hybrid lattice braced top
Rosewood neck
and more to come!
Mark, how do you find the rosewood neck as far as how the instrument's balance is at this stage in construction? This may be the only acoustic guitars with a rosewood neck I've come across and I've been searching around for people sharing any experience with them - most people discussing them suggesting it'd be too heavy on an acoustic guitar. They're not uncommon on boutique electric guitars (EIR, cocobolo, kingwood, etc) but I can't say that I was able to find an acoustic example. Thanks for any input you have.

By the way, it's another beautiful guitar! I can't say I've seen anything less than extremely well thought out and executed in the choice of top, back/sides, neck and appointments on your instruments.

-Geoff
Old 10-09-2016, 05:00 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffStGermaine View Post
Mark, how do you find the rosewood neck as far as how the instrument's balance is at this stage in construction? This may be the only acoustic guitars with a rosewood neck I've come across and I've been searching around for people sharing any experience with them - most people discussing them suggesting it'd be too heavy on an acoustic guitar. They're not uncommon on boutique electric guitars (EIR, cocobolo, kingwood, etc) but I can't say that I was able to find an acoustic example. Thanks for any input you have.

By the way, it's another beautiful guitar! I can't say I've seen anything less than extremely well thought out and executed in the choice of top, back/sides, neck and appointments on your instruments.

-Geoff
Thanks for the kind words Geoff. I like and can hear the difference using a rosewood neck. Objectively, it adds more sustain. Objectively/subjectively, it gives fuller trebles. Subjectively, it feels better on the fretting hand.
Weight wise it adds 2 to 3 ounces if the wood is chosen wisely. This is easily offset by open back tuners and an oversize or heavier tail block. Which, by the way, the additional weight on the tail block also adds to sustain. I am a big advocate of building very light guitars, though, I am not at all against putting weight where it belongs. I should add that these are incremental improvements and are not of the scale of change you hear on an electric guitar.

Hope that's helpful!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
Looks good Mark, if I were in town I would drive over, but alas, I am not. I hope it goes well....I assume you will have three guitars in various states of repair for display including Bachus, the padouk, and that new olivewood, wow, wow, wow. That should be good for a couple more orders I would think!

Sorry you can't make it out Tom. We were packed yesterday. I got several very interested customers and the beginnings of a custom order.
We set up the back wall with matted prints of some of my photography (for the non-guitar players) which also sold very well;

I met a new source for Black Walnut and some really great folks. This is one of the premier art tours in New England and draws from all over. It's also just the beginning of peak autumn colors so it makes for a wonderful experience. The tour also runs today with an option to stay open Monday. If I don't completely lose my voice we'll probably stay open on Monday as well

Last edited by Mark Hatcher; 10-09-2016 at 05:51 AM.
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop