The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-30-2001, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by GordonHLau:
<STRONG>Ken,

I'm not talking about digital as in the common effects or adding these effects to onboard preamps...I even saw Dan Crary using a zoom stomp box on stage.

GL</STRONG>
Agreed. I had thought that you were referring to onboard digital effects, since we were originally discussing onboard preamps in this thread.

Zoom stomp box...had one of those...yucky, noisy and cheap. Traded it in for some nice Boss pedals.

When I saw Al DiMeola last week, he used the Roland MIDI pickup (whatever it's called) on his Ovation for most of the show. Lots of strange effects there.

Ken
Old 12-03-2001, 09:16 PM

Andrew, go with the Baggs. You'll enjoy not seeing much of it. When you hold your new 710 under you arm and look down at the guitar you will just see the beautiful rosewood. How much better do you want it? Black plastic never can beat that.
I put a Dual Source in my 810 and loved it. Just try using the Dual Source by itself first before you spend more money on something like the PADI. You might be surprised that it is enough by itself. If not you can always add it later.

I hope this helps.
Old 12-03-2001, 09:52 PM

Admiral -- thanks for the input. I've actually (finally) made a final decision, and am going with the Baggs dual source. Actually, I happened into a great opportunity -- my dealer was able to get the LAST 710c LTD (cocobolo) that was made -- they called Taylor today and it hadn't been sold yet; it was finished but hadn't been cut for the Fishman yet, so tomorrow it'll be getting the Baggs installed and next week it should be in my hands. I'm pretty psyched about it, and I won't even have to wait too long. What could be better? Of course, with the cocobolo I'm even happier about not having a hole whacked in the side of it. I'll be sure to let everyone know how it is (if I can put it down long enough, that is ...).
Old 12-05-2001, 07:49 PM

That's great. You won't be sorry that you went with LRBaggs. Now you can look down at your guitar and get the full affect of the beautiful cocobolo wood. Ahhhhhh ! Nothing but wood.
Old 12-22-2001, 12:32 AM
.tom the übergeek

OK, effects sure, a big honking hole in the wood....NO WAY
Old 12-22-2001, 04:13 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by AWisler
they called Taylor today and it hadn't been sold yet; it was finished but hadn't been cut for the Fishman yet, ...).
Interesting...I thought that the hole for the electronics was cut during the construction of the guitar, not after the fact.

Ken
Old 12-22-2001, 10:58 PM

Ken -- I'm not sure if that's how it's always done, but that's what they told me was done with this one. One week after my dealer spoke with Taylor, the guitar was in my hot little hands with the Baggs dual source installed; I was going to post a follow-up here sooner but I couldn't put the darned thing down long enough .

This thing is incredible. The cocobolo is beautiful -- somewhere in the middle on the brownish-orangish spectrum compared to others I've seen, with a beautifully figured 3-piece back. I played it side-by-side with a rosewood 710, and in comparison I thought it had a similar bass response, but the bottom end seemed a little tighter to me than the rosewood. I really love the dual source -- I was a bit apprehensive, despite the glowing recommendations, because I hadn't actually heard one yet. The USPU is nicely pithy with very little quack, and the mic has a wonderful airy sound. I was actually recording some scratch tracks with it in my friend's home studio, and we got a better sound from the onboard mic than we did from an external condenser mic, at least without messing with placement very much. Anyway, thanks everyone for the recommendations regarding pickups -- you all helped me to make the right decision. Now if you'll excuse me, I've got to get back to playing!

Andrew
Old 12-23-2001, 09:59 PM

Thumbs up

Andrew, I'm happy for you.

Sounds like another happy LRBaggs/Taylor customer.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification