The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-17-2001, 07:51 PM

Post "sonic maximizer"

Anybody ever use one of these? What do they do and will they enhance the sound of an acoustic guitar? Are they used only for voice? Just curious......thanks a bunch
Old 12-18-2001, 06:53 PM

I have a Sonic Maximizer 482, and I have to say, what a brilliant piece of equipment. It tries to rectify the problems that are inherent in loudspeakers. That is, loudspeakers add progressively longer delay times to higher frequencies, so the BBE compensates by adding progessively longer delay times to lower frequencies. Also, it harmonically enriches higher and lower frequencies (adjustable by user), without adding harmonics that aren't actually present (hence it works unlike an Aural Exciter, for instance).
You have to be careful not to overdo things though. Don't start turning up the Lo-Contour and Process knobs all the way. You'll destroy your sound that way. Use your ears as a good judgement of balance and appropriateness. I think the tendency is to abuse the clarity that the BBE can give to your signal, thus ending up with too much low-end kick, or harshness of tone.
I have read in pro audio forums, where some people trash the BBE, saying it's 'cheating' in your tone. These are purists in the world of home/pro audio recording, of course. They believe good tone should be first be achieved without the use of such things. Well, I'd actually take that as a compliment to the BBE if I were you. :-)
Anyway, I've have good luck using the BBE, but I've also overdone it before. Like I said, use your own ears (hopefully they are a good pair), and normally the advice given is to adjust it to what you find you like, then turn it down by half. What at first delights you is usually too bright. Cuz the BBE adds such unique clarity to your tone that it could fool you into making it too thick or harsh sometimes.
I've used it on my 514ce, vocals, and overall mix with good results, even my friend was amazed. Same friend who dropped my BBE (I'll kill him in a minute!). So I can tell you, it works with just about anything. At the 'perfect' (it varies depending on) setting, when you switch the BBE process in and out, you can really hear the difference. The original signal, when compared, suddenly sounds so 'tin can' like in comparison, like
it's hiding/shying away behind. The BBE process makes the processed signal stand out in a mix, or simply just stand forward as an individual element more clearly and with more punch.

Quote:
Originally posted by Ty:
<STRONG>Anybody ever use one of these? What do they do and will they enhance the sound of an acoustic guitar? Are they used only for voice? Just curious......thanks a bunch</STRONG>

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification