The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-03-2001, 04:57 PM

Post Another mic question!

I have been approached by the worship leader at my church to join in the singing. I have been playing guitar in the band for some time and would need to continue playing (won't give it up 'til the arm falls off!). My question is, it was suggested that I use a head-set mic. I have seen several brands on listed on some of the major internet sites but have no knowledge of the good/bad/ugly of these beasts. What experience is out there on the TGF?
Old 12-07-2001, 09:49 PM
.tom the übergeek

I know two praise leaders that use them. Both have a little device called a Cough Drop that is a momentary kill switch in case of cough or other reason to have the mic off. The main problem they both have is not being able to dynamically work the mic. With the mic on a stand, you can back off as you sing louder or whatever effect you desire. With the headset, you are given a distance and there you stay.

If you have further questions, shoot me an email.
Old 12-08-2001, 12:10 PM

The Madonna thing...
I know that Tommy Walker uses one and his sounds good, but it might take a little getting used to. Do you move around the stage a lot? The guitar players I know who use one usually do a lot of moving around. Also, I know some keys players who em because it's sometimes kind of difficult to position a boom stand around a keyboard rig.
Old 12-10-2001, 04:49 PM

Thanks for the comments. I don't more around alot but since I got my Taylor last year with a pick up it is easier to move a little bit (not having to worry about the mic for the guitar). The other problem is positioning the me, the guitar, the music and the mic so that all of then can do the job they are supposed to do! At least I have convinced the leader that I can't clap and play the guitar at the same time!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification