The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-08-2023, 02:07 PM

Default Hard Case for Traveling Recommendation Sought

I couldn't find a more appropriate section here to post this, so if it belongs elsewhere, please move it.

I have an old (52 years) 12-string that I'm looking to take out of the area for refurbishment. This is the guitar in its original case:

As you can tell, the case isn't designed to withstand the rigors of travel. It doesn't even lock! Since I won't be able to carry on board the airplane I'll have to bag check it.

My problem is that the cases I've checked out on Sweetwater, MF and Reverb are either too large (the guitar is not a jumbo or dreadnaught) or too small. The standard Gator case for 12-string is about the closest I've found, but it's wider, longer and deeper than the guitar in the photo, and the interior is about 0.5" too short. That instrument measures
  • Overall length: 43.5"
  • Body length: 20" (add .25" for the strap pin)
  • Upper bout: 11.625"
  • Waist (middle bout): 11"
  • Lower Bout: 15.75"
  • Depth: 4"
I won't be traveling much (if ever) with this guitar, so I don't need a custom-made case. I intend to pack it with bubble wrap or toweling and then secure it with a lock, and possibly shipping tape.

Any suggestions?
Old 02-08-2023, 03:13 PM

Default Case

I’m guessing that it’s an old Framus? The zero fret and Frankenstein-bridge are kind of a giveaway.

That looks like an old chipboard case. Probably the least protective thing you could use. I would definitely NOT take it much of anywhere in that.

Wrapping it in bubble wrap would also not be advisable. Most guitars from that era were nitro or shellac or similar finish. The plasticizer in the bubble wrap might damage the finish.

Given the extended length you might have to settle for an oversized case and use padding inside to take up the extra space.
1968 Aria 6815 12 String, bought new

Last edited by Athens; 02-08-2023 at 03:18 PM.
Old 02-08-2023, 03:33 PM

Honestly, I would look at cases that would hold a dreadnaught 12 string.
Gator makes one, and I think even Guild has one.

Take some measurements and then shop around to see if a particular case will work for you.

I have a guild deluxe case for my 12 string jumbo and I think that's probably a pretty good case to protect it. You may also want to look at Humicase, but I am unsure if their Metro II cases would have sufficient length for the headstock.
2022 Guild F512E - Maple
Old 02-08-2023, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athens View Post
I’m guessing that it’s an old Framus? The zero fret and Frankenstein-bridge are kind of a giveaway.

That looks like an old chipboard case. Probably the least protective thing you could use. I would definitely NOT take it much of anywhere in that.

Wrapping it in bubble wrap would also not be advisable. Most guitars from that era were nitro or shellac or similar finish. The plasticizer in the bubble wrap might damage the finish.

Given the extended length you might have to settle for an oversized case and use padding inside to take up the extra space.
You get the prize, @Athens! It's a Framus from before the bankruptcy.

I put together a spreadsheet of cases against the Framus, and it appears the one that comes closest is, believe it or not, a Fender Flat Top Dreadnought case. I've written Sweetwater for confirmation, but here are the measurements:
Code:
Framus                                                           Case

Total length (including strap pin)	43.5"                44"
Upper bout	                        11.625"              12.5"
Middle bout/waist                       11"                  11.5"
Lower bout                              15.75"               15.75"
Depth                                    4"                   5"
It's pretty close. My concern is the headstock, which as a 12-string measures nine inches. I saw a nice Epiphone case that measured up but didn't have a lock, which in this case I think is a must-have.
Old 02-10-2023, 08:57 AM

Well, I ordered a Takamine case from Sweetwater. Almost against the sales rep's advice: He suggested I ship the guitar via UPS and either pick it up at a UPS store upon my arrival, or perhaps even directly to Seven C Music.

My only problem with that is that I'm on a very tight travel schedule, and if the guitar somehow gets delayed in shipping, I'm SOL.

The case has already shipped, and since it's Sweetwater, I can return it if it doesn't fit or suit my needs.
Old 02-10-2023, 04:10 PM
Charter Member

Just picking up on that Epi case. If you do like a case that doesn't have a lock, these might help.
Old 02-10-2023, 09:16 PM

Wouldn’t it make more sense to go to a guitar shop and ask them for a shipping box that a guitar was packed in, put the guitar in the case, wrap the case in bubble wrap and take it to the repair shop for service?
Old 02-12-2023, 12:42 PM

Some days you eat the bear and on other days the bear eats you.

In this case, I ate the bear.

The Takamine case arrived today and I couldn't have asked for a better fit!

Old 02-12-2023, 05:53 PM

Sweet! I love the look of that guitar!
1987 Peavey Patriot bass

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion