The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-07-2023, 05:02 PM

Default Question about string life

With string brands like elixir and d’addario developing strings with a much longer lifespan, what (if anything) are they doing to extend the lifespan of the unwound strings? Just curious, because I feel like the two top strings on my guitars seem to go dead much sooner. Anyone else experience this, or am I crazy?
Old 02-07-2023, 09:00 PM

Yeah, Elixir’s plain strings are “anti-rust” but I’m not sure what is done to achieve that. Daddario does state that ALL the strings in a set of XS are coated. I use both company’s strings, and tend to change when they still sound ok but look all gnarly. For me that means the wound strings go first as the coating frays or they get dirty.
Old 02-08-2023, 02:18 AM
Charter Member

Coming from a gigging musician's point of view, who would change strings weekly, on all guitars being used to gig.

I am perplexed by the pursuit of string longevity.

I tried coated strings once.

Played them for about ten minutes. They sounded more dead, (is more dead a thing?) than the strings I had just removed.

Cut them off, straight away, and reinstalled my normal brand.

Now in retirement, I change much less. But still before they sound dead.
Old 02-08-2023, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZYPIKINS View Post
Coming from a gigging musician's point of view, who would change strings weekly, on all guitars being used to gig.

I am perplexed by the pursuit of string longevity.

I tried coated strings once.

Played them for about ten minutes. They sounded more dead, (is more dead a thing?) than the strings I had just removed.

Cut them off, straight away, and reinstalled my normal brand.

Now in retirement, I change much less. But still before they sound dead.
I know a lot of players love the coated strings, but my experience was similar to yours...they sound to me like strings gone dead right out of the box, though they don't get any worse for a long time...
Old 02-08-2023, 09:17 AM

Many, many years ago I used to change strings at intervals ranging from 2 weeks to about a month.

Elixir Polywebs came out, I tried them, and they sounded pretty good immediately and I kept waiting for them to go dead. I finally changed them after the string wraps started wearing through!

I've been a very happy Elixir user since that time, especially when they developed the Nanoweb line. The unwound strings last a long time, so whatever they do to make them anti-rust is working for me. They probably are doing that with the alloy mix of the string material, possibly higher nickel content.

Fewer string changes equals less wear and tear on your instrument and more time playing.
Old 02-08-2023, 09:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdubs76 View Post
With string brands like elixir and d’addario developing strings with a much longer lifespan, what (if anything) are they doing to extend the lifespan of the unwound strings? Just curious, because I feel like the two top strings on my guitars seem to go dead much sooner. Anyone else experience this, or am I crazy?
Hi Pd
I've seen lots of experimental strings marketed, and I decided years ago on a sting formula and coating I like, and have not changed that for almost 30 years now.

The top strings may very well go dead early, and one can buy plain strings in the weight of strings 1-2 and just replace them before replacing a set. I bend string a lot, so I order tubes (long plastic sacks) with a dozen plain strings in two weights (the ones I use on my guitars).

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 02-08-2023, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in TC View Post
I know a lot of players love the coated strings, but my experience was similar to yours...they sound to me like strings gone dead right out of the box, though they don't get any worse for a long time...
Yes-- this has been my experience as well. I suppose if one favors particularly bright-sounding guitars this may not be the case but I don't favor such instruments.
Old 02-10-2023, 08:59 AM

That’s interesting, I have the opposite problem from the OP. I LIKE dead-ish strings and find that my high E and B strings still sound strident when the wound strings have settled in nicely.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion