The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 02-06-2023, 09:23 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Default Using an anchor finger for movement

Every time I relearn this tune, Flower, by M Kishibi I get to this position change and have to relearn it.

The change I'm referring to is the 5xxx4x in the "1st" measure in my photo to the first position of the "2nd" measure (actually 22 and 23 in the notation). The note that is circled in red in the first measure is the decision I make in playing the position change. If I use my index finger to play the 3rd fret note, for the position change in measure 2 I do a sort of hand pickup to grab the position. I'll sort of slide my index finger down on the 6th string, but I have to relocate the rest of my fingers. If I stretch a bit and grab that same red circled 3rd fret note with my middle finger (while holding down the 6th string note), then that finger acts like an anchor and the 3rd finger slides down into place and then the index and pinky just pop into place easily.

Once I start playing the piece every day for a while it becomes a moot point as either way works as the tune isn't that fast, but the anchor finger trick is good to know if you are new to the piece.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bar2.jpg (36.5 KB, 91 views)

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 02-11-2023, 11:20 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

I sometimes rest a finger on a particular string or slide it as you describe as I’m moving into another position. For me, it is in service of playing cleanly and fluidly. I say whatever works best for your fingers and the piece that you are working to master.
Best,
Jayne

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write