The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 01-20-2023, 10:20 PM
Charter Member

Default Sor's Op 35 No 22

Not as easy as it sounds. I have a way to go with this one yet. Consider this a progress report

Fernando Sor Op 35 No. 22:

Youtube!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 01-21-2023, 11:25 AM

Default very nice

your dynamics and feel are really nice and natural sounding. without seeing your right hand, i can't tell where you are generating the scratching sounds with your i, m, a.....
maybe you are just hitting the string with the nail, instead of skin/nail, or maybe your nails could be filed a little smoother? just an opinion, good luck!
Old 01-21-2023, 01:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gormank View Post
your dynamics and feel are really nice and natural sounding. without seeing your right hand, i can't tell where you are generating the scratching sounds with your i, m, a.....
maybe you are just hitting the string with the nail, instead of skin/nail, or maybe your nails could be filed a little smoother? just an opinion, good luck!
Thanks for listening!

I'm using plastic fingerpicks. The guitar's angle and my right hand angle is something I'm working on.

Youtube!

My SoundCloud page

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 01-23-2023, 02:32 PM

I enjoyed listening... I am also studying this piece at the moment and I am well aware of the initial difficulty it presents.
In my opinion, the short breaks should be even shorter so as not to lose momentum.
Also, the sound of strings 4, 5 and 6 is a bit metallic... I don't know if it's the brand of the strings, whether they are new or old...
However, it is noted that it has a good base to reach a great performance.
Old 01-23-2023, 03:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samoiedo View Post
I enjoyed listening... I am also studying this piece at the moment and I am well aware of the initial difficulty it presents.
In my opinion, the short breaks should be even shorter so as not to lose momentum.
Also, the sound of strings 4, 5 and 6 is a bit metallic... I don't know if it's the brand of the strings, whether they are new or old...
However, it is noted that it has a good base to reach a great performance.
Thanks for listening and the advice. I like the short breaks though, to me it adds a bit of musicality to the piece instead of just mechanically plowing through it. I am still playing it every day. I think it's a piece I have to live with to really know and enjoy better.

The strings are new, Knobloch Actives Double Silver High Tension. I don't like the 3rd string, too plunky sounding. The rest are so so. They aren't going to stay on long.

Youtube!

My SoundCloud page

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 01-24-2023, 02:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
Thanks for listening and the advice. I like the short breaks though, to me it adds a bit of musicality to the piece instead of just mechanically plowing through it. I am still playing it every day. I think it's a piece I have to live with to really know and enjoy better.

The strings are new, Knobloch Actives Double Silver High Tension. I don't like the 3rd string, too plunky sounding. The rest are so so. They aren't going to stay on long.
In my experience, the Knobloch strings, which I like a lot, evolve, especially the 4th, 5th and 6th strings and the metallic tone ends up becoming softer.
Old 01-25-2023, 09:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samoiedo View Post
In my experience, the Knobloch strings, which I like a lot, evolve, especially the 4th, 5th and 6th strings and the metallic tone ends up becoming softer.
Ah, a reprieve from the governor,

I'll give them a chance to mellow then, thank you.

Youtube!

My SoundCloud page

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 01-27-2023, 03:37 PM

Barry, I think it sounds good, and you did a real nice job keeping the accompaniment down in level from the melody, which is quite expressive.
Maybe it trails off a touch in the last third, but as you say, it's not easy.
Old 01-27-2023, 05:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey View Post
Barry, I think it sounds good, and you did a real nice job keeping the accompaniment down in level from the melody, which is quite expressive.
Maybe it trails off a touch in the last third, but as you say, it's not easy.
Thanks Carey! I know it isn't great, but it's a good start.

I got ZERO comments for this piece in the "Show and Tell" sub forum, so that tells me a lot,

Thanks for listening and taking the time to respond. I appreciate it.

Youtube!

My SoundCloud page

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 01-27-2023, 10:16 PM

I'm also working on this piece as well as some others...

I've found for me that I play through pieces pretty mechanically in the beginning, just trying to play the notes correctly in the right spots. It takes a while, but eventually when I get more comfortable (memorizing parts & hand positions, etc.) I get to the point where I play more relaxed and then can focus on dynamics and tempo. I don't know if I'm breaking rules, but I like to vary tempo along with dynamics in certain parts of classical pieces, as I begin to feel the emotion of the composition.

Always remember to enjoy what you're playing!
Old 01-28-2023, 09:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by srayb View Post
I'm also working on this piece as well as some others...

I've found for me that I play through pieces pretty mechanically in the beginning, just trying to play the notes correctly in the right spots. It takes a while, but eventually when I get more comfortable (memorizing parts & hand positions, etc.) I get to the point where I play more relaxed and then can focus on dynamics and tempo. I don't know if I'm breaking rules, but I like to vary tempo along with dynamics in certain parts of classical pieces, as I begin to feel the emotion of the composition.

Always remember to enjoy what you're playing!
I can't memorize much since my stroke back in 2017, but I can build up a lot of muscle memory over time. Not the same though. I'll keep playing this one everyday and see what happens. Thanks.

Youtube!

My SoundCloud page

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 01-28-2023, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srayb View Post

... I don't know if I'm breaking rules, but I like to vary tempo along with dynamics in certain parts of classical pieces, as I begin to feel the emotion of the composition.
Check out the (at least) two YT versions of Andres Segovia playing it. He does lotsa rubato (tempo variations, pauses) That's out of fashion now, considered good for romantic music or okay if that's how it was probably originally interpreted. Rules? You don't have to accept the rulemakers. They change, and die.

Last edited by FrankHS; 01-28-2023 at 10:10 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical