The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 01-19-2023, 12:16 PM

Default Presonus Eris 3.5 powered monitors

I was looking around for a smallish pair of powered monitors for my desk and decided to give the Presonus Eris 3.5 pair a chance. When I started researching small monitors I was surprised by the number of positive reviews for these. A few years ago I down-sized my main small powered monitors and ended up with the Presonus Eris E5s and am quite happy with them, so I hoped the 3.5s would be equally impressive.

The Eris 3.5s will be used for a ultra-portable recording rig, for use with my Chromebook (shown), for another secondary recording area, for my mp3 player occasionally, and as a quick-n-dirty stereo monitor for a multi-effect unit so I can enjoy stereo reverb and chorus with my acoustic guitar when I don't want to use my Cube EX.

I checked them out on a few different types of source material and I'm highly pleased at these lil' guys. I'm listening to Sarah Jarosz with a double bass player here, as that's one of the most revealing instruments for me.

They roll off at 80 hz. but for some reason they do a great job of having the low stuff come through clean and without any muddy bottom.

I was skeptical, but I join the ranks of being a fan of these after giving them a chance.

They take up a 5" by 6" footprint and are around 8" tall, so not much real estate needed.

The last comment I'll make is they are capable of getting REALLY loud! I don't know how Presonus does it, but I'm glad they did.

Old 01-19-2023, 02:00 PM

I got the Eris E5 after reading lots of good reviews as well. I liked them particularly since they are front-ported for the bass, and due to my small room & config they are placed fairly close to the wall.

Like any other monitors, you have to calibrate yourself to them. But I think Presonus does offer great value and performance for as small as those monitors are.
Old 01-19-2023, 02:56 PM
Charter Member

The 3.5s are my monitors. I supplemented them with the Sub 8 subwoofer, so they only need to perform where they do best. Great setup for a 12x13 room.

Loud? Oh yes.
2019 Martin D-18, LR Baggs Element VTC
2021 Gibson 50s J-45 Original, LR Baggs Element VTC
Old 01-21-2023, 11:15 AM
Charter Member

Thanks for the information, Rudy. I have wondered about these speakers.

- Glenn

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD