The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 01-25-2023, 11:28 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
What is curious to me is why even the new M2 MB Pros still have only a 1080 web came and not 4K given my old iPhone 10 s can do 30 fps 4K
I'm guessing it's because people mostly use the cameras on their laptops for face-timing with people and use their phones more like others would use an actual video camera with which they do a lot more than just face-timing.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 01-25-2023, 12:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
I'm guessing it's because people mostly use the cameras on their laptops for face-timing with people and use their phones more like others would use an actual video camera with which they do a lot more than just face-timing.
I suppose and perhaps anyone wanting 4K from a laptop can just buy a 3rd party 4k webcam and clip to the top of laptop screen and maybe for less than the up charge might be for a built in one ?

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 01-25-2023, 05:55 PM

Quote:
I agree ... I do 4K video on my intel iMac but it does take some time to render, and the fans are noisy when doing so . (which is not a big for video but in fact after about 20 min. processing audio I can hear the fans ramp up )
That said I am guessing the the M2 Pro chip Mini would also be faster at 4k
What is curious to me is why even the new M2 MB Pros still have only a 1080 web came and not 4K given my old iPhone 10 s can do 30 fps 4K
i do some 4K editing on a Mac Studio (base M1 Max, only upgrade is SSD to 1TB) and it's been an absolute pleasure. luckily, mine does not have any fan issues, even while exporting. it's definitely more computer than i need, but it was also the best option when my previous computer died in April 2022.

there are a few reasons for the 1080p camera:
  • 4K is overkill for most
  • Serious streamers that do need 4K use an MFT or DSLR
  • Apple is pushing the Continuity Camera feature (iPhone as Mac webcam) and it works shockingly well
Old 01-25-2023, 06:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPadTV View Post
i do some 4K editing on a Mac Studio (base M1 Max, only upgrade is SSD to 1TB) and it's been an absolute pleasure. luckily, mine does not have any fan issues, even while exporting. it's definitely more computer than i need, but it was also the best option when my previous computer died in April 2022.

there are a few reasons for the 1080p camera:
  • 4K is overkill for most
  • Serious streamers that do need 4K use an MFT or DSLR
  • Apple is pushing the Continuity Camera feature (iPhone as Mac webcam) and it works shockingly well
Interesting It seems my M1 Pro MBP is faster (but I have not done an actual export time test on the same movie)but I suspect it is out performing my Intel iMac listed in my sig .. It does seem a little faster on things like typical FX processing but I have not stop watched that either ..

As far as 4K --All I know there is IMO a fairly noticeable visual difference between my newer music videos shot with my iPhone in 4K to my older video's shot with my iMac web cam. Not only sharper image but the depth seems more defined especially when you click YouTube to full screen view

I do not know what the "Continuity Camera feature (iPhone as Mac webcam)" is ? I shoot the video on my iPhone and then export it to my iMac via the lighting to USB cable

Here is an older video done with the iMac webcam in 1080

And a newer one my iPhone in 4K 30 fps

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Old 01-25-2023, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Interesting It seems my M1 Pro MBP is faster (but I have not done an actual export time test on the same movie)but I suspect it is out performing my Intel iMac listed in my sig .. It does seem a little faster on things like typical FX processing but I have not stop watched that either ..

As far as 4K --All I know there is IMO a fairly noticeable visual difference between my newer music videos shot with my iPhone in 4K to my older video's shot with my iMac web cam. Not only sharper image but the depth seems more defined especially when you click YouTube to full screen view

I do not know what the "Continuity Camera feature (iPhone as Mac webcam)" is ? I shoot the video on my iPhone and then export it to my iMac via the lighting to USB cable

Here is an older video done with the iMac webcam in 1080

And a newer one my iPhone in 4K 30 fps

The new feature, requiring a recent iPhone and the latest MacOS version allows the iPhone to act as a "live" web cam. My phone's too old, so I haven't used it.

For me, having a built in webcam is a "spare" to have handy when you need a camera or web cam at short notice, but I strongly prefer to have a camera separate from my computer or screen to I can place it with more freedom. Would be the same (for me) if we were to talk about computer microphones. Nice that they're there, but I want to use a better mics I can place myself.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 01-26-2023, 08:35 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHudson View Post
The new feature, requiring a recent iPhone and the latest MacOS version allows the iPhone to act as a "live" web cam. My phone's too old, so I haven't used it.

For me, having a built in webcam is a "spare" to have handy when you need a camera or web cam at short notice, but I strongly prefer to have a camera separate from my computer or screen to I can place it with more freedom. Would be the same (for me) if we were to talk about computer microphones. Nice that they're there, but I want to use a better mics I can place myself.
Ah Ok thanks
I do have Monterey (not sure of dot version) , but as noted my phone is an older 10 S Have been toying with idea of new phone but have not bothered yet.

I was hoping to use both the Phone and iMac for a multi-cam situation but am conflicted with 1080 restriction on the iMac

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Old 01-26-2023, 08:46 AM

Yeah, the webcams on ALL the recent MacBooks stink.

I'm a permanent remote employee so I spend my day on Teams calls through my M1 MBP and since I run it in "clamshell mode" connected to dual 4K LG monitors, I needed an external webcam.

I settled on https://reincubate.com/camo/ and use an old iPhone 11 and the video quality is incredible.

Yeah, like Kevin for my music videos, I use my iPhone 12 Pro Max (Max Pro?) to shoot the video (I recently switched to 4K) and just transfer it to my MacBook to sync up with the audio from Logic.

Back on topic, my personal laptop is the recent M2 Air which I LOVE LOVE LOVE. It only has 8GB of RAM but I've never hit any limits with Logic for what I record. The battery lasts quite awhile and I love that they went back to MagSafe (which frees up both USB-C ports if you need them)

My work laptop is the 14" M1 MBP which I love as well (although I just use it for Teams calls, Slack, and Office )

Apple took a big gamble moving away from Intel, but I'm glad they did.

Oh, and I also recently purchased the new iPad Air with runs with the M1 chip, and I also am a big fan (especially coming from an old 3rd generation Air) The multitasking/Stage Manager on the iPad needs a little work but it's getting there.

Last edited by egordon99; 01-26-2023 at 08:48 AM. Reason: Forgot about my iPad
Old 01-26-2023, 02:49 PM
Charter Member

So this is a bit disheartening
Some audible fan noise even at idle reported over on the Mac Rumors forum
apparently only the M2 Pro chip Mini config.
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads...#post-31910391

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Old 01-26-2023, 05:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
By multiple people apparently. I wonder if this is a issue with all of them or if, like the Studio Mac Max, it's only a problem on some machines.

YouTube
Old 01-27-2023, 01:07 PM

Quote:
of course. those are very different styles of cameras though. modern phone cameras have much larger sensors than built-in webcams, so there's a huge difference in overall quality, not just the resolution.

Quote:
Here you go.
Old 01-27-2023, 01:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPadTV View Post
of course. those are very different styles of cameras though. modern phone cameras have much larger sensors than built-in webcams, so there's a huge difference in overall quality, not just the resolution.

Here you go.
Hey thanks RPad for the info, looks like I would need an iPhone 14

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Old 01-27-2023, 01:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads...#post-31910391
If you pack more processor power and probably memory into the same space, you're going to have more heat to contend with, so having the fans constantly turning is probably the best they could do without a change in the case, since I'd guess that Mini layout is probably on rev n+1 of heat pipe layout options by now. Just moving from x86 to Apple silicon probably gave it as much extra life as could be hoped for.
Old 01-27-2023, 02:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith.rogers View Post
If you pack more processor power and probably memory into the same space, you're going to have more heat to contend with, so having the fans constantly turning is probably the best they could do without a change in the case, since I'd guess that Mini layout is probably on rev n+1 of heat pipe layout options by now. Just moving from x86 to Apple silicon probably gave it as much extra life as could be hoped for.
Ya no I get it,,, and so far there have been no reports of fan noise on the M2 chip version,, only on the M2 Pro chip version .

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Old 02-02-2023, 07:24 PM
Charter Member

For people considering the Mac Mini Pro, this video might be of some interest.

YouTube
Old 02-16-2023, 06:04 PM
Charter Member

So I have decided to order a Mac Mini Pro M2 with the 1 TB hard drive and 32 GB Ram upgrade. Should start working with this early next week. I'm just hoping all my plug-ins will work seamlessly with Digital Performer in the New Ventura OS. I might need to run Rosetta for some things but not sure at this point.
Maple Beneteau for sale

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD