The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 10-01-2022, 04:13 PM
Charter Member

Default Any Blackbird Rider Love?

About 5 or 6 years ago I sold my steel string Rider because I preferred the more traditional shape of the X7 and found it more comfortable to play.

I recently picked up another Rider and I had forgotten how well built they are and how good they sound. Although I still find the X7 more comfortable, I am really enjoying playing the Rider again and seemed to have gotten used to holding it.

Anyone else love their Rider?

Mitch
Old 10-01-2022, 06:22 PM

Hi MItch,
Yes, there is Rider love:-)
I own 2 steel string Riders and one nylon Rider. I play them all in rotation with my other guitars.
Barb
Old 10-04-2022, 06:20 AM

I love my steel string Rider - I just had it setup by Blackbird. It sounds great, plays great, and is a great playing experience.
Old 10-04-2022, 07:09 PM

Default Riders Forever!

Hey Mitch - As you well know, I, too, have Rider Love. It's a sleeper and a keeper!
Old 10-05-2022, 09:08 AM
Charter Member

I’m on my second one and there’s a lot to love. Great for air travel. No worries on humidity. Shocking bass for the size. Good playability once you’re used to it. Hard to find all these attributes in a small package, you see why so few hit the market.
Old 10-08-2022, 07:04 PM

I love mine, yes ! I got it in 2013, and it has been a joy ever since.

Last edited by Tricia; 10-08-2022 at 07:47 PM.
Old 10-09-2022, 07:55 AM

I would love to try a Rider Nylon but since I am in Europe that may prove to be difficult.

Come on Blackbird, please reissue the Rider in Ekoa!
Rainsong Smokey SMH
Outdoor Guitalele
Taylor 522e 12-fret ✝
Gitane DG-560 nylon ✝
Alhambra 3C CW
Eastman AR910CE
Recording King RM-991 tricone resonator
Recording King RK-G25 6-string banjo
Thomann Irish Bouzouki M1089
Old 10-18-2022, 04:15 PM

I have a steel string Rider. Weirdest looking guitar I own but it sounds amazing.
Old 11-16-2022, 03:26 PM
Charter Member

Glad to see there are still a few of us enjoying our Blackbird Riders! I am thinking of letting go of my 2nd generation X7 since they serve the same function for me.

Mitch
Old 11-18-2022, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkatz View Post
Glad to see there are still a few of us enjoying our Blackbird Riders! I am thinking of letting go of my 2nd generation X7 since they serve the same function for me.

Mitch
I was the opposite. I owned both the BB Rider and the Emerald X7 at the same time several years back. Both had a good sound, but I couldn't get comfortable with that odd shape of the Rider. It never felt small to me due to its odd shape. Sold the BB in short order and I still have that 2011 Gen-1 X-7 which feels much smaller and plays much easier.
Old 11-23-2022, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainmaster View Post
Come on Blackbird, please reissue the Rider in Ekoa!
i'd buy an ekoa Rider in a heartbeat. i wonder if Blackbird has abandoned that body style. it's not mainstream by any means, but there's a group of enthusiasts that absolutely love it.
Old 11-23-2022, 07:44 PM
Charter Member

I bought a nylon nearly a year ago to take to the rainy NW and the desert. It is all I play now. With the Neck Up (full size works better than the mini) the odd shape doesn't bother me at all.

Compared to a classical, it has a slightly narrow neck and a radiused finger board. Mine also has a slight curve to the neck giving it a little more relief than ideal. I've made a new nut spacing the strings closer to classical and a new bridge to try to get rid of a persistent buzz in #5. I've settled somewhat on Knobloch carbon strings though they don't sound really good until played about 2 weeks.

I really like the light weight, durablility, and sound. You do have to get used to hearing all those harmonics. If they made a new one I'd be on the schedule, would really like a 52mm nut and flat fingerboard.
Old 01-08-2023, 02:36 AM

If I could buy a new rider, I would. Awesome design. I would also buy an Ekoa rider in a heartbeat! I missed the boat and regretted not snagging one when they were available.
Old 01-08-2023, 03:44 AM
Charter Member

There is a steel string Rider on Reverb if you are looking for one
Old 01-14-2023, 04:14 PM

Cool

Just scored a good deal on a Blackbird Rider Nylon. This one is in great shape and the sound is awesome. It is currently in the shop getting a set-up (lowering the action) and getting strap buttons installed. (not a fan of the neck-up system)
I sure hope I can get along with the odd shape and playability on this one. I will be a bit more patient than I was with the steel string Rider that I owned a decade ago. I sold that one within a few weeks after purchase.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber