The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 02-06-2023, 02:24 PM
Charter Member

Default Fingerstyle solo guitar repertoire - Adv beninner to early intermediate

Apologies if this is a repeat question, I did a search and read a bunch of threads but didn't find anything this specific. If there are other threads, feel free to redirect or suggest some key words I might have missed.

Question - Are there any recommended sourced for advanced beginner / early intermediate fingerstyle solo guitar repertoire?

Context - I've been playing classical guitar off and on for 20 years or so. Until the pandemic, I'd take lessons, practice and play intensely for a while, get frustrated with my innate lack of any musical talent and put it down in frustration. During the pandemic, I picked it back up and reassessed my goals. My goal is not not necessarily to be a great guitarist, rather to try to play every day for my own private enjoyment and the meditative benefit it brings. For the last two years, I've ended almost every day playing before bed, barely missed any days and have a much healthier relationship with guitar.

I'm currently playing through the Werner editions materials and can play pretty much all his grade1 stuff and some grade2, albeit often not at reference tempo. What I'm looking for are some non-classical options to spice things up. Not so interested in alternate bass fingerpicking songs for vocal accompaniment, things more like classical guitar, just not 'classical' if that makes any sense. Standard tuning preferred.

Thanks in advance for any insight or suggestions for repertoire sources.
Old 02-06-2023, 02:41 PM

I'd check out Will Mcnicol. Sounds like he might be up your street.

He's got loads of scores on his site, but this collection of some of his easier pieces might be a place to start.

https://www.willmcnicol.co.uk/scores...x-simple-tunes
Old 02-06-2023, 04:01 PM

If you like "Celtic" type stuff then Glen Weiser has produced a book of straightforward arrangements most of which are standard tuning.
Old 02-06-2023, 04:02 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Try some of Ulli Boegershausen's arrangements. I have this book of his and its almost all in standard tuning.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 02-06-2023, 04:43 PM
Charter Member

You might try this:

https://sixstringfingerpicking.com/

Or just pick some songs and google them. Lots of lessons at all levels out there.
Old 02-06-2023, 04:51 PM
Charter Member

I have some free tabs of mine posted on my webpage. "Fingerstyle" with classical guitar influences from my prior years.
http://www.dcoombsguitar.com/Download1.html

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 02-06-2023, 04:57 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Brad Werner's 25 Sor studies collection is good.

https://www.thisisclassicalguitar.co...-fernando-sor/

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 02-06-2023, 10:23 PM
Charter Member

Thanks everyone for taking the time to comment. This is super helpful and much appreciated.
Old 02-11-2023, 06:40 AM

Allan Alexander’s fingerstyle songbooks are excellent.
Old 02-11-2023, 10:06 AM

I took a Travis Picking class at a local community college class. It used Mark Hanson's book. I wasn't that good.

After 4 months practicing everyday and playing 6 different songs with backing tracks very slowly, I learned a 3 line bass Travis Picking pattern. When practicing I sped up 5 bpm as I got one speed down pretty good. I started at around 40 bpm.

One day after I recorded a video, I discovered I was looking at my right hand fingers. I tried to play without looking, and I was successful without looking. Now I can easily used this pattern to play a lot of songs. I also have other less complicated patterns that i can use very well.

Harder is to learning finger patterns with melody. But I think it's a process of playing the patterns slowly and then speeding up as you get better.

I too I play the classical guitar and that is a different beast!
Taylor 562CE
Taylor 214CE DLX
Amalio Burguet Vanessa
Fender Player Stratocaster HSS Plus
Timberline T60HGpc
Kolaloha KTM-000 with MiSi
SunnAudio MS-2
Digital Piano Yamaha P515
Grand Piano Yamaha C3
DPA 4488
Old 02-11-2023, 10:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownheron View Post
Apologies if this is a repeat question, I did a search and read a bunch of threads but didn't find anything this specific. If there are other threads, feel free to redirect or suggest some key words I might have missed.

Question - Are there any recommended sourced for advanced beginner / early intermediate fingerstyle solo guitar repertoire?

Context - I've been playing classical guitar off and on for 20 years or so. Until the pandemic, I'd take lessons, practice and play intensely for a while, get frustrated with my innate lack of any musical talent and put it down in frustration. During the pandemic, I picked it back up and reassessed my goals. My goal is not not necessarily to be a great guitarist, rather to try to play every day for my own private enjoyment and the meditative benefit it brings. For the last two years, I've ended almost every day playing before bed, barely missed any days and have a much healthier relationship with guitar.

I'm currently playing through the Werner editions materials and can play pretty much all his grade1 stuff and some grade2, albeit often not at reference tempo. What I'm looking for are some non-classical options to spice things up. Not so interested in alternate bass fingerpicking songs for vocal accompaniment, things more like classical guitar, just not 'classical' if that makes any sense. Standard tuning preferred.

Thanks in advance for any insight or suggestions for repertoire sources.
I've been reading some books on practicing lately. A consistent message is that the more you practice (the right way) the more talented you get! For me, it gives me a different perspective on practicing.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write