The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 02-06-2023, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
... small and is jam-packed with stuff stored on shelves and just general clutter.
I've got a similar space at home and it's great. My reward for letting my spouse be a borderline hoarder. And there's a small local venue that's similar -- no "treatment" per se but lots of "stuff" in it, and especially with a full house the acoustic for singer-songwriters is pretty perfect.

Couch Standards
Old 02-09-2023, 06:59 PM

I usually record in the studio, if it’s a keeper track.

I have a finished basement (20x25), that is treated & tuned. I mostly use it for mixing at home, but will sometimes do some tracking.

1927 Martin 00-21
1986 Fender Strat
1987 Ibanez RG560
1988 Fender Fretless J Bass
1991 Washburn HB-35s
1995 Taylor 812ce
1996 Taylor 510c (custom)
1996 Taylor 422-R (Limited Edition)
1997 Taylor 810-WMB (Limited Edition)
1998 Taylor 912c (Custom)
2019 Fender Tele
Old 02-10-2023, 07:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DupleMeter View Post
[IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-

I usually record in the studio, if it’s a keeper track.

I have a finished basement (20x25), that is treated & tuned. I mostly use it for mixing at home, but will sometimes do some tracking.
Drums and all What is the amp on the Marshall Cab ?

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 02-10-2023, 08:26 AM
Charter Member

I just record where I play, at a side desk in my office / man cave. In my current home (though we're moving in a couple months), it's here:

0-1 by Ray, on Flickr

In the place we're renting North Carolina this winter, it's here:

IMG_3584 by Ray, on Flickr

I just do demo quality recordings (at best) because I enjoy the process, but I'm not overly concerned about sound quality, so I haven't done any room treatments and my recording equipment is nothing to write home about either, basically being a Spire Studio with the built-in mic and one external mic, mostly for vocals. It's a setup that travels easily.

-Ray
Old 02-10-2023, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Drums and all What is the amp on the Marshall Cab ?

That is a patent infirngement era Univox Marhsall clone. Killer head. They had to stop making them because they copied the Marshall topology component for component, but they were made in Japan for much less than Marshall could make them. Marshall sued & shut them down.

The other cool piece the studio has, that isn't in the picture, is a 1955 Hammond B3 & Leslie. Pure rock & roll.

1927 Martin 00-21
1986 Fender Strat
1987 Ibanez RG560
1988 Fender Fretless J Bass
1991 Washburn HB-35s
1995 Taylor 812ce
1996 Taylor 510c (custom)
1996 Taylor 422-R (Limited Edition)
1997 Taylor 810-WMB (Limited Edition)
1998 Taylor 912c (Custom)
2019 Fender Tele
Old 02-10-2023, 10:20 AM

Recorded at my dining room table.

I like seeing these pics...makes me realize I might have enough space to pull something more permanent off. That would be nice.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 02-10-2023, 06:05 PM

Interesting perspectives on recording spaces. The room studios with treatment are very nice but I suspect there are a lot of "lurkers" that are hesitant to post because of the "minimalist" areas that they use. I suspect that these types of spaces represent the large majority of the types of recording spaces that are used by many.
It's good to know that there are others who haven't embraced the "mandatory room treatment" philosophy. Not that there's not truth to the need, but just that there's many who are still on the path towards that.
Old 02-11-2023, 08:49 AM
Charter Member

Here is one of my recent setups - varies based on what I’m trying out, but definitely not permanently in place. As you can tell from the pic this is an office my wife and I share.

IMG_9441.jpg
Old 02-11-2023, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcn View Post
Here is one of my recent setups - varies based on what I’m trying out, but definitely not permanently in place. As you can tell from the pic this is an office my wife and I share.

Attachment 87571
Very nice!

YIKES! Is that a real Brian Boggs Sonus chair?
Old 02-11-2023, 09:10 AM

I set my little area up in our dining room a few months of the year. As you may observe, it's an older home (1907) and has the high ceilings, hardwood floors you might expect. This seems to help my recordings. Behind me is a "bump out" so the walls/windows are not flat but angled to create that space in this room. I'd guess the mics are maybe just a few feet from being half way into the room.
[IMG][/IMG]
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-
2002 Flammang 000 12 fret
2000 McCollum Grand Auditorium

Old 02-11-2023, 12:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Very nice!

YIKES! Is that a real Brian Boggs Sonus chair?
Great eye, Rudy, it is indeed a real Sonus - cherry seat / back and ebonized maple legs. A b-day present from a couple of years ago : )
Old 02-11-2023, 01:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Interesting perspectives on recording spaces. The room studios with treatment are very nice but I suspect there are a lot of "lurkers" that are hesitant to post because of the "minimalist" areas that they use. I suspect that these types of spaces represent the large majority of the types of recording spaces that are used by many.
It's good to know that there are others who haven't embraced the "mandatory room treatment" philosophy. Not that there's not truth to the need, but just that there's many who are still on the path towards that.
Too true, Rudy. I'm in a 12x13 bedroom with zero treatment. I'm wondering if a few standing gobos would help.
2019 Martin D-18, LR Baggs Element VTC
2021 Gibson 50s J-45 Original, LR Baggs Element VTC

Last edited by b1j; 02-11-2023 at 01:35 PM.
Old 02-11-2023, 01:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcn View Post

Attachment 87571
This looks like something I'm envisioning for my untreated space. Do you think the gobos do an adequate job of killing echos and comb filtering?
2019 Martin D-18, LR Baggs Element VTC
2021 Gibson 50s J-45 Original, LR Baggs Element VTC
Old 02-11-2023, 02:09 PM
Charter Member

I'm sure I've posted too many photos of my studio space in the past, but since you asked... My setup is intended just for me, tho occasionally I squeeze in a few more.

Here's the mixing setup, a bit out of date with the current gear, but close:

Studio_Mix.png

And where I usually have my mics set up:

Studio_MicCorner.png

But if more people are in here at once, I have to move around. Here's a shot taken by Teja Gerken while we were recording our duet CD, from his perspective:

Me_In_studio.jpg

I usually shoot my videos in a different room, a spare bedroom, but occasionally, the studio space gets used for video, as with this session with Steve Baughman a while back:

IMG_3148.jpg

My favorite shot of my studio space tho, is of my sound engineer, frantically trying to fix the sound quality of a recording:

Old 02-11-2023, 02:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
I'm sure I've posted too many photos of my studio space in the past, but since you asked... My setup is intended just for me, tho occasionally I squeeze in a few more.

Here's the mixing setup, a bit out of date with the current gear, but close:

Attachment 87610

And where I usually have my mics set up:

Attachment 87613

But if more people are in here at once, I have to move around. Here's a shot taken by Teja Gerken while we were recording our duet CD, from his perspective:

Attachment 87612

I usually shoot my videos in a different room, a spare bedroom, but occasionally, the studio space gets used for video, as with this session with Steve Baughman a while back:

Attachment 87625

My favorite shot of my studio space tho, is of my sound engineer, frantically trying to fix the sound quality of a recording:

Awesome Studio!

Not only is it a well organized & treated , but the surroundings are so pleasurable to the eye. You would have a hard time convincing me that such a comforting place would not inspire great playing. Most importantly it is a dedicated space. Something that unfortunately is not possible for myself right now. Having everything to go at an instant notice, can make all the difference for creativity and performance. One of the reasons why I am enjoying virtual instruments. It only takes a few seconds to get going. Setting up for guitar recording takes me a long time.

Love your Baby Audio Engineer! Might have to hire him someday. How many cans of cat food an hour does he charge? He probably has much better hearing than me. Not sure I will let him scratch up my screen though.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD