The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 11-25-2022, 10:48 AM
Dustinfurlow Dustinfurlow is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Virginia
Posts: 2,594
Default Taran Guitars' **Young Player Bursary**

Hey AGF,

Posting here to spread the word for my buddy Rory Dowling, owner of Taran Guitars, to offer an opportunity to aspiring artists who are lurking around here on the ole forum! If you are under 30 and a working/studying/aspiring musician who would like a guitar built in the highest caliber I highly recommend checking out Taran Guitars’ Young Player Bursary via their website or Instagram. To be considered you must have material available online.

I feel very fortunate to have had the opportunity to work with and meet Rory and co. after winning last years’ bursary, and will be part of the judging panel for this year’s entries alongside the brilliant songwriter Jenny Sturgeon.

The first time I played a Taran I knew it was special and in it’s own class but at the same time it felt bittersweet because with the wait list and my budget I didn’t think I’d ever be able to own one. It’s an inspiration to me that they’re doing this for young artists, I couldn’t be more proud to have collaborated with them.





Have a great one!
__________________
Dustin Furlow

-Award-winning songwriter/guitarist, Visual storyteller
-D’Addario, G7th and K&K Sound Artist
-Music on Spotify and YouTube: www.youtube.com/dustinfurlow
-"Woodscapes" Modern Solo-Guitar Album and tablature
available at www.dustinfurlow.com
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-25-2022, 11:47 AM
sinistral sinistral is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Posts: 1,544
Default

That is very cool!

I’m convinced that you were born in the wrong era—if you were playing in the ‘80s, you would’ve been a top artist for Windam Hill and everyone would talk about you in the same breath as Alex DiGrassi and Bill Ackerman (with no offense to you, Alex or Bill, I put Michael Hedges in a different category).* I think it’s much harder for musicians today to get that type of exposure. The Taran Young Player Bursary sounds like a great way for an aspiring guitarist to sound his or her best!

* And maybe they still will (and should)!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-25-2022, 10:18 PM
Dustinfurlow Dustinfurlow is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Virginia
Posts: 2,594
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinistral View Post
That is very cool!

I’m convinced that you were born in the wrong era—if you were playing in the ‘80s, you would’ve been a top artist for Windam Hill and everyone would talk about you in the same breath as Alex DiGrassi and Bill Ackerman (with no offense to you, Alex or Bill, I put Michael Hedges in a different category).* I think it’s much harder for musicians today to get that type of exposure. The Taran Young Player Bursary sounds like a great way for an aspiring guitarist to sound his or her best!

* And maybe they still will (and should)!
Thanks very much!
__________________
Dustin Furlow

-Award-winning songwriter/guitarist, Visual storyteller
-D’Addario, G7th and K&K Sound Artist
-Music on Spotify and YouTube: www.youtube.com/dustinfurlow
-"Woodscapes" Modern Solo-Guitar Album and tablature
available at www.dustinfurlow.com
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-26-2022, 02:22 AM
Coler's Avatar
Coler Coler is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Dublin
Posts: 1,143
Default

Hey Dustin that sounds like a great opportunity. I just wanted to say how much I enjoyed listening to your playing this morning with a cup tea before I go down to coach my son’s Under 10 Hurling Team.

From the sublime, to the ridiculous.
__________________
Check out Coler on #SoundCloud
https://soundcloud.com/eoghan-cole?r...social_sharing

000-28 reimagined
McNally OM21-F [Cedar/Walnut]
McNally OM32-12 [Sitka/EIR]
McNally D61 [Adi/Mahogany]
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-26-2022, 02:36 AM
JayBee1404's Avatar
JayBee1404 JayBee1404 is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 4,439
Default

Beautiful guitar, played beautifully! And a fantastic opportunity for young, aspiring players. Congratulations Dustin, and well done Rory.
__________________
John

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-26-2022, 04:01 PM
Dustinfurlow Dustinfurlow is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Virginia
Posts: 2,594
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coler View Post
Hey Dustin that sounds like a great opportunity. I just wanted to say how much I enjoyed listening to your playing this morning with a cup tea before I go down to coach my son’s Under 10 Hurling Team.

From the sublime, to the ridiculous.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee1404 View Post
Beautiful guitar, played beautifully! And a fantastic opportunity for young, aspiring players. Congratulations Dustin, and well done Rory.
Thank you fellas, hoping someone on this forum can take advantage of the opportunity.
__________________
Dustin Furlow

-Award-winning songwriter/guitarist, Visual storyteller
-D’Addario, G7th and K&K Sound Artist
-Music on Spotify and YouTube: www.youtube.com/dustinfurlow
-"Woodscapes" Modern Solo-Guitar Album and tablature
available at www.dustinfurlow.com
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-26-2022, 07:57 PM
Rosewood99 Rosewood99 is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Hilton Head
Posts: 14,321
Default

Awesome guitar and awesome playing. But yikes, I just saw the price of those guitars. I guess I will never own one.
__________________
Taylor 816ce
Lowden O-32c
Gibson J-45 Rosewood
Martin OMC-15e
Martin OM-28 Custom
Breedlove Focus 12-string
Harmony H-165

...and whatever the next one is
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-27-2022, 01:56 AM
JayBee1404's Avatar
JayBee1404 JayBee1404 is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 4,439
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustinfurlow View Post
Thank you fellas, hoping someone on this forum can take advantage of the opportunity.
Yep, me too. One thing I can guarantee - at age 75, I won’t be that lucky AGF-er!
__________________
John

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-27-2022, 05:34 PM
Dustinfurlow Dustinfurlow is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Virginia
Posts: 2,594
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosewood99 View Post
Awesome guitar and awesome playing. But yikes, I just saw the price of those guitars. I guess I will never own one.
They have definitely gone up, but I think totally appropriate for the sound quality and workmanship, IMHO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee1404 View Post
Yep, me too. One thing I can guarantee - at age 75, I won’t be that lucky AGF-er!
__________________
Dustin Furlow

-Award-winning songwriter/guitarist, Visual storyteller
-D’Addario, G7th and K&K Sound Artist
-Music on Spotify and YouTube: www.youtube.com/dustinfurlow
-"Woodscapes" Modern Solo-Guitar Album and tablature
available at www.dustinfurlow.com
Reply With Quote
Reply

  The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Thread Tools





All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:54 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, The Acoustic Guitar Forum
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=