The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 12-18-2020, 08:49 AM
Charter Member

Default Noob question on truss adjustment

Friends, I apologize in advance for what is likely a shoe tying level question, but that is where I am at this stage of my nascent guitar life.
I have a lovely Huss and Dalton 000-12, short scale. On the recommendation of a fellow member of the Board I strung it with Thomastik extra lights (10-41). Sonically, they are wonderful. And so easy to play for these "seasoned" though inexperienced fingers. But I have found that I get a buzz on the low E and A strings, especially when they are plucked a bit more aggressively. I attribute that to the low tension, and am wondering if an adjustment of the truss rod might alleviate that issue. If so, any suggestions on the proper way to approach this would be much appreciated.
David
Old 12-18-2020, 02:37 PM

It depends on what kind of truss rod is fitted. If it’s a standard one then you are bang out of luck. Most truss rods are designed counter the tension in the strings and not create more.

It’s highly unlikely that you have a push/pull truss rod which can be used to add bow to the neck.

If you hold the low e string down at 1st and 13th fret then you should have a small gap between the string and the 6th fret. If no gap then truss rod need turning anti clockwise.
Old 12-18-2020, 02:50 PM

That is not necessarily true with a single action truss rod. It all depends on how much tension it currently has.
My question is where on the neck is it buzzing. I would only loosen the rod if the buzzing is confined to the first few frets. If it is also buzzing further up the neck, you need to raise the saddle on the bass end.
Old 12-18-2020, 04:11 PM

Default Very light gauge strings need a different set up...

The strings you are using are extremely light for acoustic playing. This means that they will exert less tension on the neck than a more typical string type. You may also need a higher action than you would with a typical set of 12-53 phosphor bronze strings or similar.

You have a high quality instrument and I’d suggest you take it to an experienced tech or luthier to set it up for the strings you prefer. This may involve adjusting neck relief with the truss rod, adjusting nut slots, adjusting saddle height, or a combination of any or all of these.

My guess is that the action is too low for such light strings. There may also not be enough relief. If you fret any string at the 1st and 12th frets there should be a very small gap between the underside of the string and the 6th/7th fret. If the string is touching more relief needs adding to the neck.

A Huss & Dalton is probably not a good guitar to be experimenting with setup skills on!
Old 12-18-2020, 06:17 PM

Default Luthier

Please take it to a luthier and he can Adjust the neck and string action for what ever strings you are wanting to put on it.
If this were an Ebay or Amazon $100 guitar I would say go for it but it's not so DON'T DO IT.
Happy playing.

Ron
Old 12-18-2020, 07:56 PM

Default A thought

OP: there's a bunch of comments here. First thing I'd do is call the manufacturer and ask about the truss rod installed, the answer will help the luthier you take the instrument tom to resolve your difficulty,
Old 12-18-2020, 09:43 PM
Charter Member

Friends, I am much obliged for all the suggestions which, if I might summarize, make plain that I should keep my clumsy paws out of the belly of this guitar. And I will. And I will make a trip to the luthier to make the necessary adjustments for these strings.
Much obliged for the help.
David
Old 12-18-2020, 11:17 PM

Default A thought

David, I think this 'peanut gallery' would be delighted to hear a summary of what the luthier diagnosed and what he did to resolve your problems. You've got an immensely desirable guitar and I think the consensus was to protect and preserve it.
Old 12-19-2020, 09:45 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phavriluk View Post
David, I think this 'peanut gallery' would be delighted to hear a summary of what the luthier diagnosed and what he did to resolve your problems. You've got an immensely desirable guitar and I think the consensus was to protect and preserve it.
Thanks, and agreed. The H&D is really a lovely guitar in every respect. I confess that I knew virtually nothing about the company when I found the 000 on the GC website earlier this year. With a 180 day return policy, at the time, there was no risk. And now no chance of it being returned. I have guitars by Larrivee, Bourgeois and Froggy Bottom, and the H&D is one I play almost exclusively. It just feels the best in my hands, sounds sweet and evocative, is a real looker, and just smells heavenly. My goodness, I think I need more human contact....
David

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair