The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-27-2020, 04:09 AM
Charter Member

Default To owners of bourgeois guitars

I've read long and hard and in depth about Bourgeois and more specifically Dana.

Do you think Dana does things differently, superior, in your opinion, to other boutique builders.

I keep hearing the phrase Dana voices each guitar.. for those that own them and possibly other high end guitars... Do you believe that is an accurate statement or marketing hype.

I found a aged adi over madi for 8k and from what I've been reading, the aging part makes voicing pairing whatever you wanna call it more difficult because you essentially have old wood and new wood... Do you believe even with that hurdle Dana still voices his guitars efficiently?

Or again is his voicing even a true thing?
'20 Guild F150ce
'12 Guild D150ce
'95 Santa Cruz OM (Braced identical to OM/PW)
'20 Takamine E360S-TT
Takamine EG544SC
Seagull Original S6
Seagull Entourage Mini-Jumbo
Yamaha FG830
'20 Yamaha LJ16
'20 Furch Red Pure Gc-SR
'20 Recording King RD-328
Old 11-27-2020, 05:24 AM
Charter Member

Yes, I take him at his word that he voices his guitars. What exactly that means and how it translates into the finished product is a topic of discussion. Given his track record and reputation, Id have to say it sure does matter, even if we cant put Into words exactly what it is. You dont do something thousands of times and not pick up your game!
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 11-27-2020, 06:01 AM

ended up with 2 OM's and OO from Dana. Have had a host of others including Froggy, Lowden, Martin, and Lame Horse.
The Dana OM adi over Koa is some well balanced, great projection, and volume it just amazes me.
Old 11-27-2020, 06:15 AM

If you ever get a chance, try to get to one of the Luthier showcases around the country. It seems every builder has their secret sauce, but ultimately, most of the guitars you will see, hear and play at these shows have several things in common:
  • Light build
  • Thin finish
  • Carefully carved bracing
  • Attention to detail
Dana’s shop makes a great guitar. His voicing of the top is just one of the tweaks he makes to get the sound he’s looking for. But far more influential to the sound of a guitar is the humidity, the strings, your ears and the technique of the player. And funny thing, no matter what the guitar, it sounds like... a guitar.

During the 2018 Woodstock Luthiers Showcase Coffeetalk, a panel consisting of Dick Boak, Linda Manzer, Roger Sadowsky, Richard Hoover, Michael Gurian and Chuck Emerson all agreed that a light build was an essential part of their “secret sauce”. Dana’s instruments certainly qualify. Here’s my summary of what the panel had to say about “what makes a great guitar”: https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...highlight=Boak

Best,

Rick

PS - my Bourgeois 00 Country Boy seems to sound better and better with every passing year... or maybe I’m the one getting better !

Last edited by srick; 11-27-2020 at 06:26 AM.
Old 11-27-2020, 06:30 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodry View Post
I've read long and hard and in depth about Bourgeois and more specifically Dana.

Do you think Dana does things differently, superior, in your opinion, to other boutique builders.

I keep hearing the phrase Dana voices each guitar.. for those that own them and possibly other high end guitars... Do you believe that is an accurate statement or marketing hype.

I found a aged adi over madi for 8k and from what I've been reading, the aging part makes voicing pairing whatever you wanna call it more difficult because you essentially have old wood and new wood... Do you believe even with that hurdle Dana still voices his guitars efficiently?

If the guitar doesn't compel your hands & ears to force your wallet open, the rest is totally meaningless.

Regards,
Howard Emerson
Old 11-27-2020, 06:41 AM

I have one of the first Schoenberg Soloists. These were built by Martin from woods selected by Dana who then voiced the tops before final assembly at the Martin factory. They are magnificent instruments that started out sounding phenomenal and aged wonderfully. That said, lots of other boutique luthiers apply similar techniques.

Every one of Dana’s guitars that I’ve seen has been lovely to play and look at.

Guitars:

1910's Larson/Stetson 1 size guitar
1920 Martin 1-28
1987 Martin Schoenberg Soloist
2006 Froggy Bottom H-12 Deluxe
2016 Froggy Bottom L Deluxe
2021 Blazer and Henkes 000-18 H
2015 Rainsong P12
2017 Probett Rocket III
2006 Sadowsky Semi Hollow
1993 Fender Stratocaster

Bass: 1993 Sadowsky NYC 5 String
Mandolin: Weber Bitterroot
Old 11-27-2020, 06:54 AM

Quote:

If my Bourgeois AT Mahogany D (aged adi over khaya) is any indication, then I'd have to say Dana overcomes that hurdle spectacularly well.

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 11-27-2020, 07:27 AM

I have an aged adi/Madi and I find it superb. It’s the second best sounding guitar I’ve played to my ear. I’m not expert or great player, but I know what sound I want and it has it. My best guitar is my aged tone adi mahogany D.
Old 11-27-2020, 07:28 AM
Charter Member

All very good pieces of advice.

And, I still have to make it there to play it but, that's exactly it, the more I think about it, the more I'm compelled to go with one of his guitars despite a very good offer from a small shop luthier to build a aged adi over african blackwood.

Something in my gut just tells me, there is something special a large company with make great minds leverages that a single builder might not be able to... Technique, or techniques.. special bracing special composition, something that has made them not only successful but worth multiple thousands of dollars to thousands of people.
'20 Guild F150ce
'12 Guild D150ce
'20 Takamine E360S-TT
Takamine EG544SC
Seagull Original S6
Yamaha FG830
'20 Yamaha LJ16
'20 Furch Red Pure Gc-SR
Old 11-27-2020, 07:30 AM
Charter Member

I own one mahogany guitar and under decided I'm just a rosewood guy haha. Yet I still won't sell the Mahogany guitar .. eastman e10d-tc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shockfinder View Post
I have an aged adi/Madi and I find it superb. It’s the second best sounding guitar I’ve played to my ear. I’m not expert or great player, but I know what sound I want and it has it. My best guitar is my aged tone adi mahogany D.
'20 Guild F150ce
'12 Guild D150ce
'20 Takamine E360S-TT
Takamine EG544SC
Seagull Original S6
Yamaha FG830
'20 Yamaha LJ16
'20 Furch Red Pure Gc-SR
Old 11-27-2020, 07:45 AM
Resident Guitar Hack

All I can tell you is that my Bourgeois Generation D (with a baked Sitka top) is an absolutely superb instrument in every way - tone, playability, craftmanship. Is it “better” than my Collings. Nope, just different. They are both fantastic and superior to any other guitars I’ve owned over the years. That’s why I bought them.

Old 11-27-2020, 07:49 AM

There are lots of very fine looking and sounding instruments available for $3K. When you spend twice that amount and more you certainly want more than just an upgrade in fit and finish from really good to great. Let's face it, it's mostly about the sound.

I am an almost Bourgeois owner. My last shopping trip I was between a Bourgeois and the Lowden that eventually came home with me. I think Dana builds wonderful guitars. I don't know exactly why they're wonderful, but I like them a lot.

Obviously, I also think Lowden builds wonderful guitars. The only thing that makes sense for me is to play a bunch and buy the one that steals your heart - no matter what magic produces the sound you love.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 11-27-2020, 08:34 AM
Charter Member

I've been through Dana's shop twice and also seen a couple of his voicing demonstrations at shows. At the shop, I've seen him voicing tops as well as pairing tonewood sets with top sets. I don't know about the skills and talents of other builders, but I have no doubts about his expertise as well as his involvement in the building and voicing at the shop.
I have an aged tone OM adi/hog from him and I love it. Among other excellences, it is a remarkably balanced instrument, not only across the strings but up and down the fretboard.
Larry

"It could have been worse"
--Roy Book Binder
Old 11-27-2020, 08:39 AM

Quote:
I own one mahogany guitar and under decided I'm just a rosewood guy haha. Yet I still won't sell the Mahogany guitar .. eastman e10d-tc.
I’m not either...I’m pretty much an equal opportunity tone wood person. I had thought I would prefer rosewood, but the AT mahogany D is just a level up. If it were a different individual guitar it might be different. The Madagascar is certainly a super guitar and if that’s what I had I would be extremely satisfied.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ED55030C-BCEC-496B-BE90-AF0A5628705D.jpg (29.4 KB, 835 views)
File Type: jpg 80CC4359-CE92-4994-A7EB-63776DA40A72.jpg (25.6 KB, 830 views)
Old 11-27-2020, 09:00 AM
Charter Member

The two I just sold, (two INCREDIBLE OM's) were amazing. That being said I like Santa Cruz a lot better when it comes to the whole package now that I own one.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion