The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN

Old 11-23-2020, 04:55 AM
Charter Member

Default Is the new vinyl just a fad?

At walmart yesterday, I noticed CDs have a total display area smaller than the average tv screen size....but they expanded their vinyl section to almost an entire aisle! I also noticed more new releases are promoting heavy or colored vinyl pressings. Is this a fad that the younger listners just “discovered” (like my daughter thought Instax cameras were a new thing), or do I need to start swiping milk crates again to store a growing collection?

So many of us have moved digital for the obvious convenience and portability, but in our studios and dens, is vinyl back to stay?
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 11-23-2020, 06:58 AM

Vinyl will not be making a comeback in my home, but I'm no trend setter. Whatever small gains in sound fidelity vinyl may provide (or not) my old ears aren't likely to be able to discern it, and I'm not going to give up the convenience of CDs or wav files for the inconvenience and expense of purchasing a vinyl system.

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 11-23-2020, 11:02 AM
Charter Member

I'm trying to unload my albums on my son in law, who shares my taste for 70's music. He has a turntable and gets a kick out of putting a record on, and for a while was buying some used vinyl--but I think it is more of a fad than a commitment for him. He still streams most of his music.

I'm never going back to the Rice Krispies, that's for sure.
Old 11-23-2020, 11:25 AM
Charter Member

I think young people have been discovering and digging this "new" album format. I chuckle every time i hear the word, "vinyls". But I digress...

I've heard people say that the vinyl sounds some much better than a cd, when a lot of the time the album master is a copy of a digital master. So you are hearing the cd master on vinyl with the added bonus of pops, crackle and skips!

I think this album fad will be with us for awhile, the artwork is larger and better, but I'll stick with my cds.
Old 11-23-2020, 11:26 AM
Charter Member

Nostalgia. It will pass soon. IMO today's digital recordings way surpass vinyl in sound authenticity.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 11-23-2020, 11:41 AM

A claimed advantage of vinyl over CDs or digital music generally is that analog provides superior sound quality over digital. Problem is, that only holds if all the steps from the initial recording of the music through mixing, and mastering and on to pressing the vinyl are all analog. The amount of recorded music today that is fully analog is minuscule and it's probably been that way for at least a decade, maybe two or more.

Having said that, I miss the vinyl album experience. I still have the approximately 600 vinyl albums that I bought before 1985 and I listen to them occasionally. But it's hard to beat the convenience of being able to stream my entire digital music library directly to my stereo system.
Old 11-23-2020, 12:01 PM
Charter Member

The new "vinyl" nostalgia seems contradictory to me. It is in no way a replacement for those scores of vintage vinyl many of us have, if for no other reason than us baby boomers have a sentimental/historical attachment to these old records, while the newly replicated ones are just another new item vs. something that brings back memories or feelings or is associated with something, or whatever. The sound of these new ones may even be technically "better", but lacks the character and soul of old vinyl. I'm glad to see the younger generation enthused by this new vinyl because of the music that is on them, but the prices on these things reeks of marketing greed. The good news is that it has re-ignited interest in the vintage, original vinyl LPs -- which can often be had for a much lower price. Just my 2 cents! Gonna go listen to some of that vintage crackle on my 1970's system.

Cheers!
Old 11-23-2020, 12:14 PM

I'm no expert with data to back this up, and I'm also sure that there are various reasons for someone to make, sell, or buy vinyl records, but I think there's a considerable factor of the package, the object, the thing that a vintage vinyl record can be.

That 12x12 cover format gives room for graphic invention, complexity, and impact, the space for liner notes, even some sense in the entire presentation that says it was made at a particular time with a particular ethos and context.

I don't know how many vinyl releases of newly made recordings by new artists take advantage of these things. Anyone who buys LPs of music recorded in the past couple of years want to chime in if they make the entire record package a value-add over the small space of a typical CD release or the nearly non-existent surrounding material when we stream a new release over the Internet?

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 11-23-2020, 01:13 PM

As a holiday gift, there's nothing special about a CD. It might as well be a download. LPs are more "gifty" because they're less ordinary and, frankly, they're bigger. Bigger counts for a lot.

Couch Standards
Old 11-23-2020, 01:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
As a holiday gift, there's nothing special about a CD. It might as well be a download. LPs are more "gifty" because they're less ordinary and, frankly, they're bigger. Bigger counts for a lot.
Does a good turntable and spare needles come with it? I grew up listening to 45s and 33 records (missed out on the 78s) but no turntable for many years.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 11-23-2020, 01:23 PM

I’ve tried to keep and maintain as much vinyl over the years as I possibly could. I suppose it’s subjective, but personally to my ears, I hear a warmer, fuller sound. Zeppelin and the Beatles are my two favourite bands and I’ve bought countless editions of CDs of their catalogues more than one time over (anytime there is a remaster done etc) trying to match the sound I hear on vinyl and I never have.
Old 11-23-2020, 04:13 PM

The signal chain has to be as pure as possible all the way through regardless of CD or vinyl. Streaming is frequently so compressed (file size issues of course) that nothing can be done to repair it.

I have vinyl with WAY to much hiss. I have CD's that are unlistenable due to horrible sound.

As with all things, no generalizations.
Old 11-23-2020, 04:22 PM

Vinyl has been a big seller the past few years. In the first half of 2020, vinyl outsold CDs for the first time since the '80s. Don't know what the latter half brings but I suspect the same. Of course, not a lot of CDs are being sold compared to years past.

Even bands like Iron Maiden have been issuing vinyl, not only with new albums but they've also re-released all of their catalog over the past few years.
Old 11-23-2020, 04:23 PM
Charter Member

Yes, I think it is a fad.
In my city we have a shop selling only vinyl albums ... and record decks.

I recently looked at my old album collection, all my original Rolling Stones albums were missing, can't think how/where they went.
Lots of old singles too.
Old 11-23-2020, 07:10 PM
Charter Member

Theres a really good and informative thread recently on audio quality of modern vinyl, with some industry pros commenting on digital and analog chains in the production process. https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=594793

I would guess that vinyl sales surpassed CDs more because of cd sales drop off. And I agree, vinyl is a fad, but I think it will be a durable fad, in a niche market.
I have to admit, its been fun hooking up my old turn table and seeing if I can still drop into the space between songs!
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN