The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-04-2019, 06:21 PM

I concur. The cool tube electronics on my TAN15C are awesome, and the playability, to me, is unparalleled. So responsive. I've been playing for 50 years and gigging for 12, and Takamine is great.
Quote:
Originally Posted by noledog View Post
As a full-time working musician I've tried many different options and for the wide variety of genres, dynamics, venues, and volumes I employ; I've found that Takamine's MIJ models to work best for me in combination with the two Loudbox Performers I use in tandem...the Cooltube system is warm, phat & beautiful sounding. Easy to dial in, few ever feedback issues that are easily remedied. They are plug n play, rugged, comfortable and the five I've owned came setup stage ready perfect, and yes the MIJ Taks do sound lovely unplugged, using HHG, scalloped bracing & dovetail joints which I prefer.

I also use my D18 with a Baggs M80 for certain venues, a different sound and very nice for finger picking in my more mellow venues.

Btw...I've purchased 3 Taks from our AGF sponsor Pacific Guitar Sales, Jerry has a very nice inventory and is wonderful gentleman to do business with!

eric
Old 11-04-2019, 11:22 PM

K and K's work well.
Yamaha amplification systems, esp. the new ones, sound really great.
Old 11-05-2019, 04:18 AM

I will also recommend the Yamaha AC3 series.

The AC3R was my first "good" guitar, and I still have it next to a 914. I often see it on live-concerts, even in rock-bands. The pickup and modeling are phenomenal, even good enough to record a demo without microphone.
Ships with soundhole plug (nice for practicing at night or as feedback-buster) and a beautiful case. Guitar itself is not ugly either.

Relly good sounding and looking guitar far below 1000US if you look around a bit.
Old 11-05-2019, 10:37 AM

I had the pleasure of mixing FOH for a show last night that included Daniel Boling of the Limelighters. Great player and performer. His old Gibson sounded amazing. It's on my list for today to email him and ask him what he has in there.

Couch Standards
Old 11-05-2019, 10:48 AM

I'm thinking its not the stock Baggs Element

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
I had the pleasure of mixing FOH for a show last night that included Daniel Boling of the Limelighters. Great player and performer. His old Gibson sounded amazing. It's on my list for today to email him and ask him what he has in there.
Old 11-05-2019, 10:50 AM

I'm not sure why the Yamaha A3 series doesn't get more mentions???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reeperbahn View Post
I will also recommend the Yamaha AC3 series.

The AC3R was my first "good" guitar, and I still have it next to a 914. I often see it on live-concerts, even in rock-bands. The pickup and modeling are phenomenal, even good enough to record a demo without microphone.
Ships with soundhole plug (nice for practicing at night or as feedback-buster) and a beautiful case. Guitar itself is not ugly either.

Relly good sounding and looking guitar far below 1000US if you look around a bit.
Old 11-05-2019, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
I'm thinking its not the stock Baggs Element
In a guitar that old, I don't reckon it would be a stock anything.

Couch Standards
Old 11-05-2019, 10:52 AM

I would love to try the P3DC, but I wouldn't want the same CT4B preamp that was in my 341. And Yes, I am only basing my thoughts on the one 341 model I owned. Should have clarified that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by noledog View Post
* You got the wrong Tak model bro, the EF341 is bright. I've played many and the gloss spruce/lam nato is too thin in a Tak build. The EF341SC is gloss cedar over lam maple, also somewhat thin. Move up to a P3DC in satin solid cedar over solid sapeale, throw on some Martin SP PB's and you'll get full, deep, lush, warm and fat sounding with excellent sustain both unplugged and amplified. Add the Cooltube preamp and you have all the previous adjectives on steroids. You can't judge "Taks" with the word, "always", by your experience with the single model of either the 341 versions. Taks have their great models and their not so great models like every other maker.

** After performing many years with a variety of guitars including a killer Lowden I owned, few have been plug n play ready with a consistent fat tone both unplugged and amplified like many models, (not all models), in the Tak Pro, Natural, Nashville and Santa Fe Series... Martin Retro models equipped with F1AP in 18 style models sound excellent as well as some of the upper Maton & Cole Clark models. If Maton used a split saddle and pinless bridge, I'd have one of them too.... demo a P3DC Jack, you'll be pleasantly surprised. I've turned several players on to this model and all have thoroughly enjoyed it's tone both unplugged and amplified.
Old 11-05-2019, 11:04 AM

Get a used Martin or Gibson (whichever sound you like best) with a little play wear on it, add K&K min's to it and a Tonedexter. That will get you the closest you can get to playing through a mike, and you can add K&K's to your other guitars if you feel like it and create new Tonedexter wavemaps for each one. Hard to beat the acoustic sound through a Tonedexter (look for Doug Young's review on Youtube).
1951 Rickenbacker Panda lap steel
2014 Gibson Roy Smeck Stage Deluxe Ltd, Custom Shop, K&K's
1957 Kay K-27 X-braced jumbo, K&K's
1967 Gretsch 6120 Chet Atkins Nashville
2014 Gold Tone WL-250, Whyte Lade banjo
2024 Mahogany Weissenborn, Jack Stepick

Ear Trumpet Labs Edwina
Tonedexter
Old 11-05-2019, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickstep192 View Post
None of my guitars have electronics and occasionally I get the opportunity to play out with others. So, I've got the itch to get a guitar with on-board electronics. I want something that I won't be sobbing if it gets a scratch. For my planned use, unplugged sound quality is secondary; mostly matters how it sounds plugged in. What are some good "plugged in" choices in the $1k - $2k range?
Fender's American Acoustasonic Telecaster is pretty interesting as it can mimic a variety of small body and big body sounds.

As for what produces the "best" amplified sound, that loaded question is bound to draw a thousand different opinions. What's for certain is that the player matters much more than the tool.
Old 11-05-2019, 02:42 PM

The Acoustasonic is a whole other animal. It provides a pretty decent plugged in sound, but it's made for a certain type of performer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitaniac View Post
Fender's American Acoustasonic Telecaster is pretty interesting as it can mimic a variety of small body and big body sounds.

As for what produces the "best" amplified sound, that loaded question is bound to draw a thousand different opinions. What's for certain is that the player matters much more than the tool.
Old 11-05-2019, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
The Acoustasonic is a whole other animal. It provides a pretty decent plugged in sound, but it's made for a certain type of performer.
I've heard one in the studio and another one live, and neither was set up very well -- the intonation was pretty crummy up the neck. I wonder if it's because, even though it's "Tele," it has to have an acoustic-style bridge to accommodate the piezo pickup.

Couch Standards
Old 11-05-2019, 03:23 PM

This one
https://i.ibb.co/y5nmzQF/EF217-A16-E...5-D4272-ED.jpg
#2 Pencil
Various Scraps of Paper
Old 11-05-2019, 03:49 PM

Which Tak is that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by slopeshoulder View Post
Old 11-06-2019, 02:31 AM

Ovation gets my recommendation.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification