The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-26-2018, 07:41 AM

delete post
Old 02-28-2019, 08:38 AM

Not always true. Depends on what type of pickup system is in the guitar. I have heard Takamine's that sound better plugged than acoustic. The electronics aren't amplifying the acoustic sound like a mic does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
Good plugged in tone can't happen unless a guitar sounds good before it's plugged in.
Old 02-28-2019, 02:38 PM

Best Sounding Plugged in Acoustic??

Mine!!!

But seriously, as many have already suggested, just add a good quality pickup to your favorite guitar.
I installed the new Fishman Matrix Infinity Mic Blend pickup, and couldn't be happier with it.
2022 Yamaha SLG200S Silent Guitar
Old 02-28-2019, 03:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonics View Post
Although it's not quite there yet, I'm a big advocate of sound image technology, and so is Martin, Yamaha, Ovation, Godin, et al.

Technically it's 'cheating' since all the processing takes place in the digital domain in real time,

This sounds really nice through my monitors, thanks!

In small venues I get away with K&K and an MXR 12 band equalizer. But I am not a pro. At home it's my KM184 that spoils me. For strumming folk, pop songs I have a setting I like depending on the room, or outside. For Americana I mix in a scooped setting to let me live in the sound.
Old 02-28-2019, 04:52 PM
Charter Member

Add these to the guitar you have. Permanently install the pickup... or not... I never have in years of using the Fishman. Have fun!

This:
https://www.fishman.com/products/ser...ndhole-pickup/

Plus this:
https://www.lrbaggs.com/preamps-di/p...-guitar-preamp
Old 02-28-2019, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drplayer View Post
Why not just add a pick-up to A guitar you already have, to give you good sound whether plugged-in or not? There are a lot of great minimally evasive options out there these days, and you'd save a lot of cash...
Zombie thread but...
This is a good idea. personally i am leaning toward
a smaller guitar. For live plugged in sound one
does not need a dred or jumbo to get a good
sound. It really comes down to the pickup and the
outboard electronics. I would find a guitar with
a great action and put a decent pickup in it.
I am partial to the baggs m80. It sounds
good in a wider amount of situations.
The kk sounds great but is not as versatile.
a smaller guitar is less feedback prone and unless
you use a mic there is no need for a dred.
Or have a dred for those times you play acoustically.

Last edited by varmonter; 02-28-2019 at 05:11 PM.
Old 03-01-2019, 10:19 AM

Australian built Cole-Clark has the best built in electronics I've heard.
Martin CEO-7
Custom Huss and Dalton DS 12 fret
Cole-Clark FL3AC
American standard strat
Old 03-25-2019, 09:08 AM

Surprised so few mention the Yamaha A3 series. Supposed to be a great sounding pickup system that uses some type of modeling and can be had for well under $1K.

Another great live sounding cheap guitar is the Epiphone EJ200. Probably the best live sounding guitar you can find anywhere for under $500
Old 10-15-2019, 08:54 AM

I agree. Problem is the unamplified sound is so weak you have to make it a stage-only guitar. Also they are tough to find here in the states and also their designs can be very plain jane looking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvereagle48 View Post
Australian built Cole-Clark has the best built in electronics I've heard.
Old 10-19-2019, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zandit75 View Post
Best Sounding Plugged in Acoustic??

Mine!!!

But seriously, as many have already suggested, just add a good quality pickup to your favorite guitar.
I installed the new Fishman Matrix Infinity Mic Blend pickup, and couldn't be happier with it.

Mine too, Can't stand undersaddled stuffs and soundhole pickup, Lyrics and para di does is nicely on my D42
Old 10-19-2019, 04:25 PM
AGF Sponsor

Haven't played any recently, but I know Tak has a solid rep of being very good plugged in.

scott memmer
Old 11-04-2019, 04:25 PM

Lots of love for Taks in this thread. I have tried the EF341 several times and while it does sound pretty good compared to most piezo equipped guitars, the Taks always sound very bright and tinny to me and I can't get past that. I want a live sound that is deep, lush and full sounding. Not bright and brittle sounding.

Still searching...
Old 11-04-2019, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drplayer View Post
Why not just add a pick-up to A guitar you already have, to give you good sound whether plugged-in or not? There are a lot of great minimally evasive options out there these days, and you'd save a lot of cash...
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmyAddison View Post
You have guitars you like, "occasionally" you play with others, why spend $1-2K on a once in a while guitar?
Quote:
Originally Posted by amyFB View Post
^^^ This is sure a low cost approach to moving into 'plugged in sound'.
This, this and these. Presumably you enjoy some (or all) of your guitars. Why would you play a lesser instrument when you are asked to perform with others? Add a .....$200 K&K (installed) and play away. Or a $250 L.R. Baggs and .... play away. Or a ........... and play away.
Old 11-04-2019, 05:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
Lots of love for Taks in this thread. I have tried the EF341 several times and while it does sound pretty good compared to most piezo equipped guitars, the Taks always sound very bright and tinny to me and I can't get past that. I want a live sound that is deep, lush and full sounding. Not bright and brittle sounding.

Still searching...
* You got the wrong Tak model bro, the EF341 is bright. I've played many and the gloss spruce/lam nato is too thin in a Tak build. The EF341SC is gloss cedar over lam maple, also somewhat thin. Move up to a P3DC in satin solid cedar over solid sapeale, throw on some Martin SP PB's and you'll get full, deep, lush, warm and fat sounding with excellent sustain both unplugged and amplified. Add the Cooltube preamp and you have all the previous adjectives on steroids. You can't judge "Taks" with the word, "always", by your experience with the single model of either the 341 versions. Taks have their great models and their not so great models like every other maker.

** After performing many years with a variety of guitars including a killer Lowden I owned, few have been plug n play ready with a consistent fat tone both unplugged and amplified like many models, (not all models), in the Tak Pro, Natural, Nashville and Santa Fe Series... Martin Retro models equipped with F1AP in 18 style models sound excellent as well as some of the upper Maton & Cole Clark models. If Maton used a split saddle and pinless bridge, I'd have one of them too.... demo a P3DC Jack, you'll be pleasantly surprised. I've turned several players on to this model and all have thoroughly enjoyed it's tone both unplugged and amplified.

Last edited by noledog; 11-04-2019 at 06:05 PM.
Old 11-04-2019, 06:01 PM
Charter Member

I've recently gone over to all Cole Clarks after years of feeling that something was missing from my amplified sound. I'd get close with lots of EQ and tone shaping from outboard gear but I longed for great tone straight from a guitar for both open mic purposes and just to be able to get down to the least amount of needed gear for our gigs. I'd heard that Takamine, Maton and Cole Clark guitars were excellent in this capacity but I had none nearby to try out. Then the local store started carrying them so I took my little Bose S1 down and plugged one in and it was game over for me. I now own three, one of each model size, all in the tonewood (from them) I prefer - Blackwood. Highly recommended if amplified sound is your jam.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification