The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 04-19-2010, 03:35 PM

Default Huttlinger Essential Exercises for Fingerstyle Guitar

There was a long thread awhile back about the greatness of this DVD. Because I have this niggling feeling that I'll be bored by it, I'm asking those who own it whether they stuck with it and derived full benefit from what it has to offer. Or was it tedious? Did you look forward to popping it in and playing along with Pete or did it feel like a chore?

Thanks.
Pono OO-20
Pono OP-30DC
Old 04-19-2010, 03:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryler View Post
There was a long thread awhile back about the greatness of this DVD. Because I have this niggling feeling that I'll be bored by it, I'm asking those who own it whether they stuck with it and derived full benefit from what it has to offer. Or was it tedious? Did you look forward to popping it in and playing along with Pete or did it feel like a chore?
Hi Ryler…
If you want guitar lessons, it will serve you well. If you are looking for entertainment don't get it.

This is exactly what it says ''Exercises'' for fingerstyle growth and improvement. It is work, and designed to challenge players to move up in skill. The exercises are not entertaining, they are routine, and systematic and meticulous.

I don't find that tedious, but I do treat it as 'work'. If you don't want to work hard and put in some frustrating hours to get there, then you probably need to find a different resource.

If you check it out at Homespun tapes dot com, there are probably video clips from the dvd to look at.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 04-19-2010, 04:12 PM

I've got it. When It first came, I probably watched it from beginning to end 3-4 times just to get a feel for what Pete is saying. Now, I go back and watch sections for refreshers. I did not and have not implemented everything he talks about into my work, there is simply too much there for me to be able to do it. As I said, I watch sections of it, then try to implement those pieces.

I think it was well worth the money.

Jack

1975 Mossman Great
1995 Taylor LKSM-12
2008 Taylor Fall Ltd GC
2008 Applegate C Nylon Crossover
Fender Stratocaster - Eric Johnson Model
Nyberg Cittern
2011 Eastman AC508M
2012 Epiphone ES339
Old 04-19-2010, 04:50 PM

Thank you for those descriptions. That tells me much of what I wanted to know. I"m looking for lessons and enjoy work...so long as the work is enjoyable. Inspiration and good teaching that compels me to want to do more of what the video teaches is what I'm after. I think the degree to which Pete targets my ability and challenges it to the next achievable level would really determine my willingness to engage with it. And no one can really answer that for me.

But it sounds like it would be worth the purchase to find out.
Pono OO-20
Pono OP-30DC
Old 04-19-2010, 05:28 PM

I liked the DVD, the only thing I skipped on it was the bossa nova. I hated making those chords. The rest of it seems really helpful. Romanza is a blast to play.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write