The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 11-26-2010, 10:30 PM
Charter Member

Default Crossover search Cordobas and Yamaha

Been researching the net for crossovers. For budget, i.e. bang for the buck, reasons, I narrowed to the Yamaha NTX1200r or Cordoba Fusion Orchestra Pro.

Guitar Center had the 15% discount today and the local store stocked several Iberia classical Cordobas and the Yamaha NTX700. One reason I also leaned to these were adjustable truss rods.

Tried the NTX700, a little muted on the tone but had a nice action. Not a lot of radius to the fretboard but a nice sleek fast neck. However, although improper in classical circles, the thumb chording over was hampered by a string spacing that had a 1/4 space between the edge of the fingerboard and string. Also playing it in comparison to the classicals, I decided to pass. The Yamaha had more of a nice contempory tone, much like Taylor, I just couldn't reconcile the neck and felt it was too biased to amplification. I really wanted to like this guitar because I was going to order a NTX1200r.

Then I played the Cordoba Iberias, Beautiful. Slender necks and easer to play. They had the C5, C7, C5ce, and Studio. The C5/ce and C7 sounded great and played wonderfully; even with thumb overs.

The thing is American Musical has The Orchestra Pro for a very nice price. So based on the general observation of the Cordobas, I opted for the Fusion Pro.

I feel the two guitars are uniquely positioned in different tonal genres, but even listening to Yamahas video clips on youtube, their NCX was fuller sounding and more resonant, which is what I detected in the Cordobas, and what I'd like to gain.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical