The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-03-2002, 07:30 AM

Smile New Taylor 555

I am new to the forum and new to Taylor guitars. Last night I picked up my new 555. It is just an incredible guitar. The rosewood binding is perfect with the mahogony. The sound and the sustain all across the board is unbelievable. I have owned several 12's over the years and the sound was always too bright and jangly. I believe that mahogony is the only way to go for a 12 string. I also love the neck profile which is great for a 12 string. This was definitely worth the money. The only thing I was concerned about was that the guitar is a very tight fit in the case. They said it would loosen up over time but right now you really have to work to get it in/out of the case. Anyone else have this problem. I also have been playing an HD28 for 25 years.
Old 04-03-2002, 08:37 AM

hey welcome to the forum =)

yeah, this is the most common complaint of the new taylor cases (since 2001). it will get easier after some time. give it maybe a month or two.

enjoy that guitar!

Allan
Old 04-03-2002, 02:46 PM

Congratulations, and welcome to the forum! Taylor 12's are great. (355 is mine). Don't worry about the case, it will loosen up. Now go bang on that majestic cannon!
Old 04-03-2002, 07:44 PM

Jroche, congratulations on a great selection! That 555 is a really fine 12-string, and I'm sure you'll have many years of fun with it.
Old 04-05-2002, 07:24 AM

A tight fit means a safe guitar. Besides, doesn't everyone like a nice . . . no I won't go there.

Congratulations on your new cannon! Taylor rules the 12 string world!
Old 04-08-2002, 03:56 PM

I've bought two new Taylors this year (855ce, 814ce) and I'm not as crazy about the newer cases, but they do have a tighter fit than the old ones and I agree that the tighter the safer.

Congrats on your 555. It is a really nice sounding guitar. I almost went with the 555ce, but chose the 855ce in the end for its unique qualities. Love that rosewood!
Old 04-15-2002, 11:08 PM

Hello Jroche,

Congrats on the 555. Great guitar.

Recently I bought a 355CE. I couldn't believe the sound and the action.

It had been years since I had spent much time with a 12 string acoustic.

My memories of 12 string acoustics were formed back in the late 60's folk era when Martin ruled the 12 string world and you needed the grip of a gorilla to play one. 12 strings had some tough actions back then. Oh well, memory lane.

The 555 was my first choice for a 12 string but as it happened, two previous Taylor purchases(translate=the cookie jar is a little short) and 555 availability encouraged me to the 355CE which is also an outstanding guitar.....and Taylors play so easily for a 12 string! Spoils the player rotten....and I love it!

12 String wise...Taylor rules the roost.

Hope all is going well.

R.L.
Old 04-16-2002, 04:30 AM

Congrats on the new great guitar! Welcome to the forum! We call that the Monkey butt case. They say after putting the guitar in it several thousand times it begins to loosen up. I just cant seem to get mine out JW
Old 04-17-2002, 09:15 AM

Talking

thanks for all the positive feedback. I haven't touched my HD28 since I got the 555. The action is so fine I am flatpicking some norman blake tunes on it.
Old 05-01-2002, 09:54 PM

Hey jroche,

Just got my 655 last month. Thought I would share what someone once told me.

"Many guitar companies make 12 string guitars, Taylor's the only one to get it right."

I forgot who told me that, but its true, with any other 12 string, its a pain in the arse to keep it in tune, I can go a week without having to retune my guitar.

Have fun!
Old 05-02-2002, 01:53 PM

Smile

in 92, i bought my first 12 string, took it to get tuned up. The
guitar tech told me about Taylor. I knew nothing about taylor,
i even lived in nashville for 4 yrs, all i know is martin and
gibson.
the more i view Taylor's website, the more i am sold.
Question
what differences other than price, is there between the
355 and the 555?
thanks
Old 05-02-2002, 01:57 PM
Charter Member

Welcome to the forum!

quickly, 355 backs and sides are sapele, which is closely related to mahogany and both looks and sounds very similar...but its not mahogany. The top on a 355 is Sitka spruce, the binding is black fiber (plasticky) and the headstock logo is in white fiber. The back and sides are also satin finished, and the rosette is white plastic. 355 has standard ebony bridge pins.

the current 555 has tropical american mahogany back and sides, gloss finished. It has an engelmann spruce top, a koa rosette, mother of pearl Taylor logo on the headstock, and the binding is rosewood. It also has abalone tipped bridge pins.

I think that should be it...stick around the forum for a while- its a great place!

(Insert one line representation of cleverness here)
Old 05-02-2002, 04:55 PM

Hello. I have a 1998 555 and it is the nicest 12 string I have ever owned. Taylor has the market cornered on 12's , that is for sure.
Enjoy it and I hope it is filled with lots of new music just waiting for you to find it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification