The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-31-2017, 06:09 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
At the other extreme, I plug my guitar directly into my DBR10 and it sounds great (just a volume knob ignoring the sliders for FOH vs. monitor and w/wo sub).

Our mixer wall wart died at a gig last year and we did exactly that; each guitar direct into one of the RCA jacks and the mics summed into a single XLR with a Y cable. I thought it sounded just fine. Our instruments and pedals have all the usual controls (GE7 for my partner and a ToneDEQ for me).

Too many knobs to me make an impractical setup for a gig where I want to set up quickly and enjoy playing.
I'm the opposite. The absence of the important knob that would solve my current problem is impractical to me. I'd rather have a button that I don't need than "need a button that I don't have."
Martin Guitar Certified Online Dealer
Martin Blueridge
Martins & More Podcast
Old 05-31-2017, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaurysMusic View Post
I'm the opposite. The absence of the important knob that would solve my current problem is impractical to me. I'd rather have a button that I don't need than "need a button that I don't have."
We harmonize every song we play, and neither guitar has AGF approved pickups (ES1.3 and MiSi Trio). If I had the confidence to play a no vocal solo guitar gig I might feel differently. However, given you do have a high end pickup, and a great pedal with all those knobs at your feet, why another set of knobs on the amp covering the same ground?
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 05-31-2017, 06:30 AM

I bought the little lunch box TransAtlantic electric amp that they discontinued and was blowed away by their quality. And Vocals are the tuff part of a acoustic amp they sound good. Bet this makes them the player in acoustic amps, looks very thought out. And I agree American built cool. Makes me want to fire up the TransAtlantic!
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 05-31-2017, 12:49 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
We harmonize every song we play, and neither guitar has AGF approved pickups (ES1.3 and MiSi Trio). If I had the confidence to play a no vocal solo guitar gig I might feel differently. However, given you do have a high end pickup, and a great pedal with all those knobs at your feet, why another set of knobs on the amp covering the same ground?
If you have a pedal at your feet covering the same ground as the Boogie, I agree there's no need for all the other knobs... but when it comes to setting up live sound, all those knobs on the Boogie won't stop me from setting up quickly and enjoying my performance. YMMV. I may have misunderstood your original comment. I don't feel the need to adjust all those buttons on the Boogie if the situation doesn't call for it. They're not in my way or slowing me down.
Martin Blueridge
Martins & More Podcast
Old 06-01-2017, 08:40 PM

Quote:
No doubt, yes.

If you have a dynamic mic (doesn't need phantom power), you could use it in CH2 with a 1/4 adapter.
Thank you for your reply, MaurysMusic.
In a store they told me that it would not work as good as using the Mic in CH 1 with XLR. They told me that the volume would be much lower using the mic in CH2 with 1/4 jack. Is that right? Is there a volume limitation of some kind?
Old 06-01-2017, 10:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty C View Post
Does Mesa have a showroom in Petaluma? I am in that area next week. Would love to hear it live!
No, it's in Hollywood. However, if you drop by and ask nicely, you might get a private tour of the plant (they don't have regular plant tours but were very helpful and accomodating when asked). Very cool and nice folks too.

I want to try one of these new amps. Very intriguing.
Old 06-02-2017, 06:14 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pecx View Post
Thank you for your reply, MaurysMusic.
In a store they told me that it would not work as good as using the Mic in CH 1 with XLR. They told me that the volume would be much lower using the mic in CH2 with 1/4 jack. Is that right? Is there a volume limitation of some kind?
You're welcome. That's true, but technically, it depends how you do it. Cheap adapter vs preamp or direct box type connection.
Martin Blueridge
Martins & More Podcast
Old 06-04-2017, 03:20 PM
Charter Member

Looks like a great single unit

The only thing I see missing is an XLR and phantom power channel 2 and phantom on an off switch (not a deal breaker) but could be a bonus if you like to mic the guitar using some ribbon mics , or condenser on guitar and sing into a condenser . But all in all a nice unit, and if it sounds like it does on on the video then that's a plus. Company has a great reputation in the Electric world .

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 06-04-2017, 04:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Looks like a great single unit

The only thing I see missing is an XLR and phantom power channel 2 and phantom on an off switch (not a deal breaker) but could be a bonus if you like to mic the guitar using some ribbon mics , or condenser on guitar and sing into a condenser . But all in all a nice unit, and if it sounds like it does on on the video then that's a plus. Company has a great reputation in the Electric world .
Good catch. From the Rosette User Manual:

MICROPHONE INPUT JACK This jack is the input connector that feeds the microphone preamp of the ROSETTE microphone channel. The microphone preamp features a discrete, low impedance balanced input amplifier, which provides appropriate loading (approx. 3k ohms) and gain to the microphone. The MICROPHONE INPUT jack provides DIN P-12 phantom power, which works well with most microphones encountered in the live sound industry. If a higher voltage is required, (such as DIN P-48), an external phantom power supply may be used in line with the input. It is always good practice to turn down the MIC GAIN control and mute the channel whenever connecting or disconnecting your microphone to prevent pops from being sent to the internal speaker and also to the DI Output. Your sound engineer will also appreciate this bit of courtesy.

PHANTOM POWER LED This LED indicates that phantom power is present on the MIC INPUT (when the input is selected). Note that phantom power can be enabled or disabled internally via DIP switch J2 located inside the amp chassis, behind the mic jack, and is clearly labeled. For virtually all typical applications, regardless of internet lore and old wife’s tales, phantom power can be present with no adverse effects. Your amplifier ships from the factory with phantom power engaged. The only real worries concerning phantom power arise with some ribbon mics (check with the manufacturer, many introduced within the past 10 years have no problem and some require phantom power), and with certain cable faults, but only in conjunction with a small number of especially vulnerable mics.

Only 12v phantom and an internal DIP switch turns it on and off.
Old 06-07-2017, 06:13 AM
Charter Member

So, nobody has got their hands on one of these yet? Looks like a nice amp.
2021 Emerald X7 Select
2020 Emerald X10 Woody Select 3-way
2016 Emerald X20 Artisan
2002 Gibson J185EC JJ Cale
2009 Gibson EC-20
1974 Alvarez Dreadnought
2013 Woody Tahitian hybrid Uke
2008 Zager 3/4 Size
Some camp fire guitars, classical's,
& electric's
Old 06-07-2017, 06:56 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puerto Player View Post
So, nobody has got their hands on one of these yet? Looks like a nice amp.
Not yet, but we placed our order as soon as it was announced, and we're in on the first batch.
Martin Blueridge
Martins & More Podcast
Old 06-07-2017, 05:56 PM

Having owned a Mesa Express 5/25 x 12" and yet to hear anything close to it when it comes to amplifying my electrics....except maybe for my Quilter Mach II, I am going to own this new acoustic amp. It seems to take the best of all possible worlds to produce a truly phenomenal acoustic amp. We shall see!!!
2007 GA8e Taylor
2005 ESM-10e Fender Ensenada
2005 850t Carvin Cobalt
Lots and Lots and Lots of Solid body Electrics
Old 06-07-2017, 06:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Not yet, but we placed our order as soon as it was announced, and we're in on the first batch.
Be great to hear/read your first impressions

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 06-08-2017, 06:26 AM
Charter Member

Kind of strange they didn't put a 48V phantom power on it. I usually use a pre-amp for a mic, but that's usually a "given" for a singer/songwriter amp.
2021 Emerald X7 Select
2020 Emerald X10 Woody Select 3-way
2016 Emerald X20 Artisan
2002 Gibson J185EC JJ Cale
2009 Gibson EC-20
1974 Alvarez Dreadnought
2013 Woody Tahitian hybrid Uke
2008 Zager 3/4 Size
Some camp fire guitars, classical's,
& electric's
Old 06-08-2017, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puerto Player View Post
Kind of strange they didn't put a 48V phantom power on it. I usually use a pre-amp for a mic, but that's usually a "given" for a singer/songwriter amp.
Yeah, I find that odd too, but it seems to happen with other brands as well. My Marshall doesn't even document what voltage their PP is. I had to contact them directly to ask the question. If I remember correctly I believe they said 12V. And my old Kustom has something like 3V PP.!! Really?!! Turns out my condenser mic works just fine with either.

Regardless, I'm a little annoyed hearing about this new Mesa amp. I was intending in a couple of months to purchase a second Marshall AS50D to play through using my ABY box. Now I'm torn. I really like the AS50D and the Mesa is more than double the cost of the Marshall, but seems like one heck of an amp.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification