The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-09-2002, 08:48 AM

Default New Taylor 414c

Received my 414c last week from my dealer after a short wait. What a great guitar! I had to order it to get the cutaway but no onboard electronics. I was concerned since I didn't get to handpick the guitar. My dealer guaranteed I'd be happy. He was right. Soundwise, it is spectacular with more bass response and woody sound than I had remembered from the 414's and 414ce's in the shop. The highs are all here, but I don't remember the other Taylors I tried having this much of a woody sound. The warm bass reminds me more of the Martin D-15 which is the other guitar I considered. This is much easier to play though, not just the action, but the GA shape is just much easier to "get around".

From an aesthetic standpoint, the ovangkol figuring on this thing is beautiful...a much darker dynamic than any I've seen in the store. In turn, the rosewood selected for the headstock is richest rosewood I've seen, almost as if it were selected to match the darker ovangkol. The spruce top has a number of bearclaws in it which, I'm told, is desirable.

Looking forward to years of "unplugged" sets.
Old 05-09-2002, 10:24 AM

Congrats on your new 414c. I have a 414 myself and I love it more and more every day. Frankly I've played a lot of guitars (hanging out at guitar stores) from other companies as well as other Taylors that cost SIGNIFICANTLY more than my 414, but I wouldn't trade you for them.

There's just sump-m about that Guitar!!

I wish you many decades of enjoyment.
Old 05-09-2002, 11:19 AM

Samchar, lets see some pics! Ovangkol is a vastly underated tone wood. I'd like to see Taylor give it a gloss treatment in a higher number series but the 400 series guitars are bargains. The wood on the many 400's I've seen varies from almost yellow, to yellow-green to brown; always very interesting.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification