The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-07-2002, 01:38 PM

Default Decided on the b-band ast. now what?

Thinking about my preamp options. obviously nothing is going into the side of my beloved k10..

Do I *need* the 2150? is it part of the package in buying the AST? I admit I'm a bit confused here.
Old 05-07-2002, 02:53 PM

Allan,

The 2150 is B-Band's old preamp designed to be used ONLY with their old soundboard transducer. I highly recommend getting the new 2002 B-Band AST 1470 sbt and A1 endpin preamp if you are going to purchase a B-Band AST setup. The new AST is much better sounding and is not location sensitive as the old AST. The new AST is also compatible with all of B-Band's preamps except for the 2150. That means if you decide on upgrading to a dual source system, you won't have to buy a new AST like you would if you had the 2150 system. Another option would be to purchase the dual source preamp (A2) and the 1470 AST. This would give you the option of installing an internal mic, magnetic soundhole pickup or a B-Band UST in the future. This added flexibility will only set you back about $30-$40 (the difference in price between the A1 and A2 preamps). Although I will say that everyone I know who has the B-Band AST/UST combo, never use the UST because they like the AST far better.

If you can't find any place local that carries the new B-Band stuff (not too many stores have them yet), Shoreline Acoustic Music carries the new 2002 B-Band products and at great prices.

GL
Old 05-07-2002, 05:21 PM
Charter Member

The UST is an undersaddle transducer, yes? What the heck is an AST? How does it work, and is it prone to feedback like an ibeam in loud situations?

I heard somewhere that the UST requires work to install...moreso than a standard piezo system...what about the AST?

Im so ignorant when it comes to this stuff its not even funny...but the one thing I do know is that my new x14 will be C but no E.

(Insert one line representation of cleverness here)
Old 05-07-2002, 06:49 PM

Ryan: the AST is the bband soundboard transducer...

Gordon: thanks for letting me know. I was going to just buy the pickup/preamp from Rudy's (the guys who will be installing it and doing the setup for my k10) but not knowing whether or not they have the new or old version of the AST I went ahead and ordered from shoreline. spoke on the phone with John - I can't say enough about his integrity and help. He convinced me to stick with the A1 "A lot of people *say* they'll start with just the AST/A2 and upgrade later.. problem is they never do"

Thanks again!
Old 05-07-2002, 08:03 PM

Ryan,

As Allan mentioned, the AST stands for acoustic soundboard transducer. The iBeam is also a soundboard transducer. The pickup is placed on the bridgeplate underneath the saddle using double sided tape. It is MUCH easier to install than the B-Band UST. NO DRILLING involved if it's going into any full size Taylors. String balance which can be a problem with their UST, is a non-issue with the AST. Also, unlike most soundboard transducers (SBTs), the AST is not picky on location so you should be able to get a great sound on the first placement. It is more feedback prone than the UST, but from what I've heard, it's not as bad as the iBeam (B-Band does recommend their UST in loud band situations). If you have to compete with bass, drums, keyboards, electric guitar, etc., their UST will probably be a safer choice. The one I have is EXTREMELY feedback resistant (much more than the Matrix I).

Allan,

Great to hear about your dealings with Shoreline. I thought I was going to be the first in this forum to get the AST but my guitar badly needed a fret topping so the AST has to wait (not enough money ). Can't wait to hear your results. Keep us posted.

GL

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification