The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-06-2002, 12:30 AM

Default Merrill Guitar

Does anyone have any info about these guitars. I would like some personal input if you know anything about them. How do they compare to Taylor guitars?
Old 05-06-2002, 01:50 AM

Location: Not where I thought I was going, but probably where I need to be.

I have no personal experience with these guitars, but they have been discussed alot over at the Acoustic Guitar forum recently. From checking out the Merrill web page it looks like they build their guitars to the old "vintage" Martin guitar specs, so I would imagine that the tone would be in that category.
Along the same lines, if you are interested in that "branch" of the guitar world, I strongly recommend you check out Kim Walkers guitars (he also has a web site) and Borges guitars. Kim Walker is an incredible builder, turning out about 24 guitars a year. He has a guitar in the Scott Chenery "Blue Guitar" collection and was asked to give a demonstration in luthery at the Boston Museum of Modern Art exhibit called "Dangerous Curves". He has also guest lectured at the Yale School of Architure on the subject of design. Julius Borges was one of the bulders of the "Schoenberg Soloist" line and has been getting great reviews.
It is always difficult to compare one brand of guitar with another. With builders like Walker, Borges and Merrill you are getting a truly personalized instrument built by master craftsmen. Are they worth the price? Up to the individual. Fun to window shop though!
Old 05-06-2002, 07:04 AM

Great thanks for the info will check out web site
Old 05-06-2002, 11:09 AM

Location: Not where I thought I was going, but probably where I need to be.

No Problem. I am a huge Walker fan, so my opinions are definately biased. (I own a IR/bearclaw Sitka OM that is very simple in appearance but is my "Holy Grail") Drop on by the "13th Fret" guitar forum site if you want to get more opinios about some of the "small" builders around.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification