The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 04-01-2019, 01:07 PM

Default Sage works guitar support for OF660 band X7

Those of you with small guitars like OF660 or X7 might have noticed hunching down to play or raise one of the legs to fret properly. I wanted to improve my playing posture as well as take care of left wrist pain and researched guitar supports. Sage works, formerly Bennett something, I have been trying out and am getting one more because

1. My wrist pain is gone.
2. I could play much longer and no aches after.
3. It puts me in a much better posture.
4. Fretting is easier and the guitar just stands on it's own. No more OF660 Popeye left arm syndrome!

I have had my share of injuries and as you all know, prevention is the name of the game, especially at our age. I am sure some of you have tried this product or others similar and your input would be appreciated. Good luck!

Ps. With X7's ergonomical designed bottom side, you have to go slightly diagonal to achieve best fit and avoid rocking base(s).

Last edited by Gitaman; 04-03-2019 at 12:16 AM.
Old 04-01-2019, 01:16 PM

Oh, btw, when you are installing, watch out for flying magnets! They will pinch you with no mercy... repeatedly!
Old 04-01-2019, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gitaman View Post
watch out for flying magnets! They will pinch you with no mercy... repeatedly!

Whoa 🥺 just when you thought it was safe to go outside again you must watch for pinching magnets!?

All joking aside I like your taste in guitars- the X7 is just stunning. The Sage support has excellent reviews and would probably be what I would use if I weren’t a strap guy
Old 04-01-2019, 01:52 PM

I love ıt as well. It cost only slightly more than the Legup at the time I bought it.

The Legup worked well, but the Sagework doesn't need a glossy surface as the Legup does and it is far more adjustable. It packs up small as well. It can be used almost instantly from guitar to guitar.

I already had a stack of magnets virtually the same rectangular dimensions as the Sagework feet, so I had/have no need to buy more magnets.

I think it is an amazing design especially useful for smaller guitars or stabilizing larger guitars, depending on playing style.

Old 04-01-2019, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
Whoa 🥺 just when you thought it was safe to go outside again you must watch for pinching magnets!?

All joking aside I like your taste in guitars- the X7 is just stunning. The Sage support has excellent reviews and would probably be what I would use if I weren’t a strap guy
HaHaHa, it could be worse if you are a Million Dollar Man

Thanks, it is good to know my taste is not off tangent like my jokes at times.
Old 04-01-2019, 02:05 PM

Default ac

AC,

Your black Gotoh tuner looks like it belongs there and makes the guitar look more balanced. Love the look! I am set on getting SGS510Z 5S black, maybe with MGT, when the wind blows in the right direction...
Old 04-01-2019, 02:52 PM
Guest 928

Does anyone know if the Sage would work on a banjo?
Old 04-01-2019, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
Does anyone know if the Sage would work on a banjo?
Hey Evan,
No mention of banjo on their website but if you could find two contact areas on the lower side, why not. Not familiar with banjo...
Old 04-02-2019, 09:07 AM
Guest 928

Gitaman;

Thank you. A professional banjo player in my circle is 80-some years old and finding the weight to be a problem. I will be passing the information along.
Old 04-02-2019, 09:48 AM

I don't know if they have changed the design since the company was sold recently but I have had a lot of experience with these and you need to be careful about stripping out the screws that are threaded in the support with no metal inserts. I have had two strip out which makes the long arm loose at the pivot point. So be careful when making them tight.
Also when attaching to the guitar if you don't have a good grip when it gets near the surface it can smack the guitar pretty hard when coming in the field of the magnet inside, as they are very strong. Most likely not as worrisome on a fiber guitar but definitely potential for damage on wood.
Works well on small guitars for support, IMO the Neck Up is better for this, more adjustment and folds up in the case like a strap. Also the suction cups are no problem on fiber they hold very well with no affect on finish.
Old 04-02-2019, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
Gitaman;

Thank you. A professional banjo player in my circle is 80-some years old and finding the weight to be a problem. I will be passing the information along.
Evan, I hope things work out and you can enjoy his company for a long time! If not, he may have to call Alistair for a self-standing CF banjo.
Old 04-02-2019, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryM View Post
I don't know if they have changed the design since the company was sold recently but I have had a lot of experience with these and you need to be careful about stripping out the screws that are threaded in the support with no metal inserts. I have had two strip out which makes the long arm loose at the pivot point. So be careful when making them tight.
Also when attaching to the guitar if you don't have a good grip when it gets near the surface it can smack the guitar pretty hard when coming in the field of the magnet inside, as they are very strong. Most likely not as worrisome on a fiber guitar but definitely potential for damage on wood.
Works well on small guitars for support, IMO the Neck Up is better for this, more adjustment and folds up in the case like a strap. Also the suction cups are no problem on fiber they hold very well with no affect on finish.
Thanks for the heads up, Jerry! It appears that the inferior screw issue has been addressed: Metal insert is in the hole and the screw itself is of metal. Never hurts to be ginger with fasteners though. It has been two weeks and the only improvements I would like to see are:

1. Find a way to accommodate contoured bottoms better like Emeralds.
2. Make the rear leg shorter allowing the guitar to sit lower if desired.

In regards to Neck up, I have considered it especially with good reviews, but I just could not get over those suction cups: In my experience, suction cups eventually fail. Hence I opted for fail-safe magnets. Kind of like CF instruments, you can forget about it for ages, come back, it still looks and plays just as good as the day you got 'em. My OF660 has satin finish and that was another deterent. If I were to go suction cup route, I would not mind checking out Mundo support as well.

Lastly, Sage support looks like it is a part of the guitar and looks super cool!

Last edited by Gitaman; 04-03-2019 at 12:21 AM.
Old 04-02-2019, 01:23 PM

I've no idea how thick the side walls of a banjo are. As long as the walls are thin and not made of steel, the magnets should be able to attract to each other and stick together.

Too thick, and the magnets would not hold tight.
Old 04-02-2019, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac View Post
I've no idea how thick the side walls of a banjo are. As long as the walls are thin and not made of steel, the magnets should be able to attract to each other and stick together.

Too thick, and the magnets would not hold tight.
Banjo "rims" are usually pretty darned thick--multiple plies, each of which could be a guitar back itself (well, maybe not quite...). Total thickness between a half and a full inch. Then there's the metal claws all around, holding the head on....

Come to think of it, though, one might be able to attach it to the resonator, if the banjo has one. The other challenge is that they're round--like, truly circular. I doubt if this is the solution--but it may well have sparked some useful thought, that might lead to some other solution.
Old 04-03-2019, 06:40 AM

Wait..what..people still play banjos?
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber