The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Closed Thread

Old 05-11-2015, 09:05 PM
Charter Member

A picture really is worth more than a thousand words.

That Thom Hooke picture plus the experience of playing a Sexauer guitar says more than I could say in an entire book.

This man knows his craft.
Old 05-12-2015, 10:10 AM
AGF Sponsor

I certainly agree that the Hooke shot is not flattering to me if vanity were the point. But as a window into the essence of the life lived and depth of character and the sheer honesty of it, well I feel pretty honored at the apparent effortlessness with which the result was produced. Thom shot about a hundred images in our spontaneous session, and this was the first one!

Thanks for all comments, friends.
Old 05-12-2015, 10:16 AM
AGF Sponsor

This shot is more flattering, but it is virtually another person! This is from the other session, and the photographer is Roger Minlow.

Old 05-12-2015, 02:35 PM

We could be witnessing the end of one career and the beginning of another, that is if Abercrombie and Fitch has a mature man division!!!! I think they have found their new spokesperson!
Old 05-12-2015, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
This shot is more flattering, but it is virtually another person! This is from the other session, and the photographer is Roger Minlow.

Nice looking car. Wish it could be street legal here.
Old 05-12-2015, 08:33 PM
AGF Sponsor

It IS street legal here in California!
Old 05-12-2015, 09:12 PM

Really?

There's nothing in that that is not known to the state of California to contain carcinogens and substances known to cause birth defects?

It's a first!

Old 05-12-2015, 11:30 PM
AGF Sponsor

I am not saying it SHOULD be legal in CA, but it is. There is a DMV program called SB 100 in which 500 hand-built cars a year are given special dispensation, permanently if you keep your fees paid up. It all happens in a half hour period on the first day of the DMV year; if you snooze, you lose.

In other news, Bob Berger visited my shop today for a few hours, and we passed the time looking over the fine points of my concrete work. Well, a little (very little) time, mostly we played guitar after guitar and discussed their relative attributes until his charming wife came back from shopping downtown Petaluma (better than you might guess) and made us grow up on the spot. My idea of fun!

Last edited by Bruce Sexauer; 05-12-2015 at 11:35 PM.
Old 05-16-2015, 07:48 AM
Charter Member

Default Visit with Bruce

Quote:
In other news, Bob Berger visited my shop today for a few hours, and we passed the time looking over the fine points of my concrete work. Well, a little (very little) time, mostly we played guitar after guitar and discussed their relative attributes until his charming wife came back from shopping downtown Petaluma (better than you might guess) and made us grow up on the spot. My idea of fun!
I am still on vacation in CA and have been remiss in reporting my visit with Bruce.

We spent about 2-1/2 hours playing guitars, looking through his wood locker and talking about A to Z. I can tell you that I did play all three guitars that Bruce is bringing to Memphis; the Pernambuco L00, Walnut 000 and BRW Mini D. All three were just outstanding guitars. Someone going to Memphis should take one of these home. The pernambuco L00 is a bit dryer than mine, the walnut 000 really surprised me. I didn't know what to expect and I was delighted with it. The Mini D is tone monster, not dread like, very balanced but powerful.

I was also treated to a bit of Jatoba Jazz/blues by the Maestro...

I also played a number of guitars that Bruce had made is years past that he had taken back in trade for clients having him make a second guitar. There are MANY fantastic guitars there and being able to compare so many in one spot is a rare treat. There was one of these used guitars for sale that was indeed "magical" that I would encourage anyone seeking a monster BRW guitar. Bruce's personal 2007, 13-fret, multiscale, BRW/Italian 000 guitar is among the best I have ever played. It simply does everything that I seek in in a BRW guitar with power, balance, musicality and finess. He's not bringing it to the show, but I encourage those of you seeking a supreme BRW guitar at a used price get this guitar!

Lastly, we looked at wood sets. Bruce has so many sets of nice BRW in his wood locker. I don't think he could ever use it all. We also looked at a number of beautiful one-off more unique sets like landscaped Madrose, quartersawn The Tree. He indeed has de stuff!

So as you can hear, I very much enjoyed my visit to the World Headquarters in Petaluma.
Old 05-20-2015, 08:39 AM
AGF Sponsor

Today is the fifth day of my drive to Memphis. I am in a motel in Gallup, New Mexico. When I get a chance I will now be able to learn the song "Route 66" as the town names will have meaning for me! "Don't forget Winona", for instance. Today we will cruise up to Chaco Canyon to check out more Anistazi aboriginal ruins. Then on to Santa Fe and then Taos. After that we head down toward San Antonio TX, about 1000 miles though we will allow some distractions should they emerge.

Meanwhile I brought along the Pernambuco L00. It will be interesting to see how well it deals with the radical humidity issues I am subjecting it to, if only briefly. It is flatsawn, as I have mentioned a few times, and if is does survive I will have more confidence in selling it. It Play it every day practicing the three tunes I plan to play on three guitars at the Memphis Guitar Festival in the concert I have been offered. The Walnut will play "Carolyn's Concerto", the Mini-D will play "Jenny on the Railroad", and the L00 will play "What", an original composition which I think of as modern and inspired by my friend Teja Gerkin.
Old 05-20-2015, 09:52 AM
FKA matthewpartrick :)

Quote:
Today is the fifth day of my drive to Memphis. I am in a motel in Gallup, New Mexico. When I get a chance I will now be able to learn the song "Route 66" as the town names will have meaning for me! "Don't forget Winona", for instance. Today we will cruise up to Chaco Canyon to check out more Anistazi aboriginal ruins. Then on to Santa Fe and then Taos. After that we head down toward San Antonio TX, about 1000 miles though we will allow some distractions should they emerge.

Meanwhile I brought along the Pernambuco L00. It will be interesting to see how well it deals with the radical humidity issues I am subjecting it to, if only briefly. It is flatsawn, as I have mentioned a few times, and if is does survive I will have more confidence in selling it. It Play it every day practicing the three tunes I plan to play on three guitars at the Memphis Guitar Festival in the concert I have been offered. The Walnut will play "Carolyn's Concerto", the Mini-D will play "Jenny on the Railroad", and the L00 will play "What", an original composition which I think of as modern and inspired by my friend Teja Gerkin.
I'm sure you've checked out Monument Valley at some point. Maybe on the way back! I always think of "Sacred Ground" by Craig Chaquico when I think of Monument Valley.
Old 05-20-2015, 10:56 AM

How I'd love to be on the road to memphis. I am sending my friend luthier Bill Kraus to meet and greet you.Hope it's a great time in all ways... Tom
Old 05-20-2015, 11:33 AM
Charter Member

Time to learn your Oscar Moore licks!

Old 05-20-2015, 04:14 PM

Quote:

Hope there is plans for someone to hit Record.
Old 05-20-2015, 08:20 PM
AGF Sponsor

I just had the best "Mexican" food of my entire life at "Bruno's" in the tiny town of Cuba, NM, on our way from INCREDIBLE Chaco Canyon to Taos, which turned out to be a little too far to go today. We are told they have a sister restaurant in Albuquerque, an we may go out of our way to go there as well.

Amazingly, I sold the Memphis Mini-D over the phone today! I will unavoidably have it at the show anyway, so you will get a chance to try her.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop