The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 05-25-2014, 12:42 PM

Default Anyone Recording on an iPad?

I have an iPad 3, and I'm using the IKMultimedia HD Pro adapter to plug in my mic. It'll also take an electric guitar track. I have been using Garage Band, which is okay, but I'm going to pull the plug on Auria shortly, which seems to be the most popular DAW on iPad. And it's still, because it's iPad, only $50 for the full featured version.

All sounds decent. So far, I have just been messing about doing single track stuff. I was a user of Audacity on PC for a few years, and have used the light version of Cubase before. But I really like the portability and ease of setup of the iPad.

Anyone else doing this, or any other tablets? The new Surface Pros are very nice, and we might pick up one of those next year. Have to see how that works out.
Old 05-25-2014, 03:33 PM

I just picked up an Apogee Duet, the new model that can connect to iOS devices. While I am mostly planning to record to my iMac using the iPad as a remote control for Logic, I am also excited by the prospect of being able to record straight to the iPad's GarageBand, then sync it up to edit and mix in Logic. This will make the whole shebang a lot more portable.

So the short answer is "no, but I just got the equipment that will let me do so!"

I'm looking forward to testing it out. 10 years ago, I would never have imagined that I'd have a silent, $500 touch-screen device that I could take into an isolation booth and record high-quality audio on. The rate at which these things change is staggering.
Old 05-25-2014, 05:45 PM

i've used my ipad3 to record into garageband but finally figured out that i could just as easily record out of the ipad directly into my apogee ensemble, into logic and onto a hard drive. makes it really direct and easy. i've used fender amplitube, garageband, orphion, figure and ampkit. using the ipad this way has made me much more creative than sitting with my guitar or bass.

i've also used the ipad in logic remote mode and it is so much easier to just press a button to record , instead of a keyboard key and then quietly going to my seat, hopefully, before the song starts. i've recorded keyboard parts using the chordstrips or keyboard layouts on the ipad. great technology only to get better.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 05-25-2014, 07:58 PM

iPad 2 + Auria + Alesis iO Dock is my favorite DAW of all time.
I use it now & don't want to use anything else.

Only downside is the 30 pin connector and the 500 meg RAM of the iPad 2.
The plugs of Auria are awesome. But they consume RAM. If I upgrade to iPad 3,4,5,
I need an adapter to the smaller connection. I don't know how well that will work.

But Auria is an excellent app.

Youtube

France (Film Musique & Fantomas)
---
Guitars: (2007) big Vietnamese archtop; (1997) Guild F65ce,
(1988) Guild D60, (1972) Guild D25, two other Vietnamese flat-tops and one classical.

Old 05-26-2014, 04:56 AM

I have a 3, tried it and didn't like it.

I'm used to more precise editing controls in PT10 on my Mac. I find iPads, in general, kludgey compared to the larger beasts.

I came away from it thinking it was one of those, "Because we can!" things.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Old 05-26-2014, 06:58 AM

I'm looking forward to the prices coming down on the iPad Air model docks. Alesis looks like a great option. Plenty of used iPad 3 docks on the market.
Old 05-26-2014, 07:03 AM
Guitar Gourmet

One of my recording engineer colleagues at the studio who works on Pro Tools, Cubase, and Nuendo, loves Auria and uses it at every opportunity.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 05-26-2014, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty Ford View Post
I have a 3, tried it and didn't like it.

I'm used to more precise editing controls in PT10 on my Mac. I find iPads, in general, kludgey compared to the larger beasts.

I came away from it thinking it was one of those, "Because we can!" things.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Yea I'd never look to an iPAD/Auria as any kind of replacement for my HD rig especially and as you mentioned in the face of Pro Tools editing. What it does represent to me is a means of sitting down, almost anywhere in the house, with almost zero setup time and knocking out a tune that I'd otherwise be faced with firing up Pro Tools, firing up drives. getting the mics set, sitting down and getting levels, getting up and readjusting levels, stepping on my headphone cable, pulling out the wires, while adjusting levels, arming for record, sitting back down, getting back up to hit stop (cause the L.A. Police flew a helicopter 10 feet over my house) getting back to hit record, sitting back down and knocking into the mic stand.

I can sit down in the living-room and capture some pretty good stuff that otherwise faced with managing the HD rig I wouldn't have attempted.

I kinda came away with the polar opposite of you Ty. For me it's the absolute anti-kludgey
Old 05-26-2014, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscmp View Post
i've also used the ipad in logic remote mode and it is so much easier to just press a button to record , instead of a keyboard key and then quietly going to my seat, hopefully, before the song starts. i've recorded keyboard parts using the chordstrips or keyboard layouts on the ipad. great technology only to get better.

play music!
This is something I am VERY excited to try out when I have my gear set up in my new place.
Old 05-26-2014, 10:40 AM

I've bought several ipad things... Irig HD, GB, amplitube, audiobus, ect. And found the controls too time consuming to really be fun or effective. If you were just wanting to record on the go and mix on your desktop then it's not too bad for that
Dean EABC5
Gretsch 9121
Lag TN100 Nylon
Recording King RO-10
Recording King RP-06

https://soundcloud.com/search?q=Smokerblacker
Old 05-26-2014, 12:32 PM

Interesting responses. I'm not going to get into any heavy duty recording, just me and a few guitars, recorded one at a time. Folks do seem to love Auria, so going to give it a try. Garage Band is a bit of a toy as it is, and the effects plugins for Auria get great reviews.
Old 05-26-2014, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickwaugh View Post
Garage Band is a bit of a toy as it is
I dunno about that! I'm embarrassed to once again forget one of our members name here who recorded an EP with GarageBand. It was of stunning quality and proof positive the DAW is about the last thing on a long list of "things" that go into a great recording. Garage Band may have some limitations comparatively but I'll absolutely guarantee that if one can't make a great sounding, world class acoustic recording with GarageBand, one can't make a great sounding, world class recording.

It's certainly not a toy
Old 05-26-2014, 02:38 PM
Charter Member

I to am fortunate and have PTHD Native to record into on a Mac pro

But being solo I really like having V-Control Pro on my I pad as a remote for PT for recording which fits easily on a music stand. Allows full transport control as well as undo and allows me to stay in the recording spot 10 ft from my desk and computer while making as many takes as I want.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 05-26-2014, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
One of my recording engineer colleagues at the studio who works on Pro Tools, Cubase, and Nuendo, loves Auria and uses it at every opportunity.

Bob
Auria is fantastic. All it lacks is MIDI. It's old-school recording.
It looks like a mixing board. Super simple to use.

It's easier than Garage Band AFAIC. I couldn't figure GB out.

http://auriaapp.com/forum/index.php

Youtube

France (Film Musique & Fantomas)
---
Guitars: (2007) big Vietnamese archtop; (1997) Guild F65ce,
(1988) Guild D60, (1972) Guild D25, two other Vietnamese flat-tops and one classical.

Last edited by louparte; 05-26-2014 at 05:47 PM.
Old 05-27-2014, 01:17 PM

I use Ipad 2 and Cubasis software. Using the USB camera cable interface, I can plug straight into my Mustang 1 or 3 amp and record directly into the Ipad. Works pretty slick.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD