The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 05-03-2021, 01:54 PM

Default Taylor T5Z ?

I'm curious if anyone has ever played or owned a Taylor T5Z ?
I understand it's not a true acoustic but it seems pretty versatile in regards to what one could do with it
I've never came across one in a store to try & that's why I'm putting this out there to get some informed opinions on how it performs ?
Thanks
Old 05-03-2021, 01:57 PM

I own one (two actually . . a 6-string and a 12-string). I also own a T5.

I prefer the smaller size of the T5z. Just more comfortable to play.

The T5z is a bit more like an electric than the T5 is, though they're both more electric than acoustic.

If you need a guitar that's mainly an electric but can sound reasonably "acoustic" when you need that sound, they're great guitars.
Old 05-03-2021, 02:03 PM
Charter Member

I had one.

Typical Taylor, stunning fit and finish and the neck and fingerboard were a joy.

Having said that, you can find lots of us ex T5Z owners mainly because it really has few usable tones. The youtube vids with great tones are really more about pedals.

Sorry

Last edited by Rad; 03-27-2023 at 11:47 AM.
Old 05-04-2021, 12:42 AM

I liked the T5 and T3 body shape better since they feel better for me playing while seated. An obvious downside is that this shape does not fit in standard gig bags. The T3 seems to solve that.

I sold mine and kept the Taylor T3, which was more of the tone I was after. I had no real need for a guitar that could pull electric and acoustic guitar duty without a band.
Old 05-04-2021, 06:52 AM

Default T5z2?

I hope it will be relatively shortly that the T5z gets a long overdue upgrade to ES2.

While they are at it they can move the controls to the ES-335 location using full sized POTs, a readily available pickup switch, and standard form factor pickups.

Anybody at Taylor reading this?

I used to own a T5z and it has too many problems as currently conceived.
  1. Not very acoustic tone.
  2. Poorly placed controls for quick changes in a song (for those of us who get our lead overdrive by turning the volume control).
  3. Too tight a fretboard radius for full step bends above the 12th fret and reasonable action.
  4. If you raise the action with a saddle, not neck shims, the bridge pickup can not be raised high enough.
  5. Fragile switch and POTs that are hard to replace.
  6. Proprietary pickups, pots, and pickup selector switch.
  7. 4 high power low noise dual op amps on the PCB limit a 9 volt battery to only 25 hours. 200 would be easily achieved with a FET design like a Matrix or Element preamp. This is really disappointing noting Fishman can get a full blown IR based Aura to run 25 hours on the same battery!!!
But...
  1. Wonderful build quality.
  2. Beautiful to look at.
  3. Light on your shoulder.
  4. Comfortable to play seated.

If you search the AGF you will find plenty of threads where individuals have added Fishman Matrix USTs or K&K Mini SBTs using the second strap button as the access point. They report really useful acoustic tone. The right T5z2 is clearly suggested by these individuals and ES2 would easily be the peer of a Matrix or K&K.

Here is my T5z story:
https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=401790

I'm ready to buy the ES2 upgrade right now!
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields

Last edited by jonfields45; 05-04-2021 at 04:03 PM.
Old 05-04-2021, 09:40 AM

The biggest omission for me on the T5/z is the lack of discrete outputs for the electric and piezo/acoustic sides...
Old 05-04-2021, 12:57 PM

I have a T5.
I love the playability, and it's comfortable to play standing.

I run mine through a first generation Fishman Aura pedal, which really helps the acoustic guitar tone. I have never found a usable electric tone I liked, and the acoustic bridge really cuts down on the sustain you would get from an electric.

It's an odd duck of a guitar!
Old 05-05-2021, 01:43 PM

I forwarded my post to Taylor's customer service email address. I must have a certain need to tilt at windmills.

I played an Acoustasonic Telecaster at length a few weeks ago at the GC. Factory strings are 11-52 PBs with a wound G-string. To be usable as an electric for me, they would need to go to 10s and a plain G. That would require replacing the saddle and hoping all that Fishman DSP software still works to the same ends. I found the acoustic plugged in tone very good, but the electric tones with the amp simulation and overdrive built-in were not useful to me. The variety of acoustics it claimed to model just sounded like something I could do with a decent EQ pedal and not fundamental to its goodness.

An ES-2 T5z with two Strat or Humbucker formfactor pickups, retaining the plain G-string of the current T5z, would be dramatically better as an electric and plenty good enough as a plugged-in acoustic.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 05-05-2021, 04:28 PM
Charter Member

To me, for what the T5 does, the newest PRS hollow body piezo model does quite well.
Old 05-06-2021, 04:23 PM
Charter Member

I owned a beautiful T5z. Loved it's size and playability, very comfortable. Unfortunately I could never quite dial-in the tones I was looking for, BUT I'm much less experienced with electric vs acoustic. I eventually let it good...gorgeous guitar though.
Old 05-06-2021, 05:25 PM

Sounds like the T5Z is a quality constructed guitar but not quite as versatile as I hoped
I guess it comes down to you play an acoustic or electric for what they're made to do ..hard to find both in one guitar
Old 05-06-2021, 07:02 PM

Actually I find mine to be pretty versatile, but a lot of that depends on the amp (and any effects) too.
2021 Furch Yellow Gc-CR MC FOR SALE
2023 Hatcher Greta
Old 05-07-2021, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rule18 View Post
Actually I find mine to be pretty versatile, but a lot of that depends on the amp (and any effects) too.
I ran my T5 through a Carr Rambler and a Zendrive pedal. Dang near everything sounds great through that rig.
Old 05-07-2021, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2y View Post
I ran my T5 through a Carr Rambler and a Zendrive pedal. Dang near everything sounds great through that rig.
Fair point!
2021 Furch Yellow Gc-CR MC FOR SALE
2023 Hatcher Greta

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars