The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 02-20-2021, 04:04 PM

Default Best online course for acoustic blues guitar?

I am mostly a finger picker with some hybrid picking. I am looking to learn the blues. Is there any online course that you could recommend? Not worried about the cost, just looking to take a course someone on the forum has taken and can recommend. Thanks for your thoughts.
Old 02-20-2021, 04:10 PM
Charter Member

Default David Hamburger

I would check out the true fire stuff from David Hamburger, as well as what he does on YouTube with the Fretboard Confidential. I also enjoyed the JustinGuitar Acoustic Blues course DVD, which I did a few years ago and still play some of the practice tunes out of.
Old 02-20-2021, 04:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cproomando View Post
I am mostly a finger picker with some hybrid picking. I am looking to learn the blues. Is there any online course that you could recommend? Not worried about the cost, just looking to take a course someone on the forum has taken and can recommend. Thanks for your thoughts.
There's a guy named David Hamburger who has a few courses available on TrueFire - those were my introduction to the blues and to fingerpicking. You can start out really fundamental but you don't have to if you've got other fingerpicking experience. He also has his own site called Fretboard Confidential where he teaches somewhat more advanced stuff in a totally different format. There are a lot of folks out there, but he's a guy that helped me break through many false starts at blues fingerpicking, so I recommend him pretty highly. But whether he's a good fit for you only you'll be able to tell...

-Ray
Old 02-20-2021, 04:33 PM
Charter Member

There are lots of great instruction available. Afore mentioned Truefire and Stephen Grossmans' site come to mind. Lately I've been studying the utube videos of Rainer Brunn, a German who has quite an amazing blues and ragtime repertoire and plays very well. On some of his videos he plays a Martin OM18A which sounded so good I had to track one down for myself.
Old 02-20-2021, 04:35 PM
Charter Member

There's a fellow, Toby Walker, who participates here and has
a good selection of lessons...

-Mike
Old 02-20-2021, 04:40 PM
Charter Member

+1 for Toby Walker's lessons that you download.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 02-20-2021, 04:49 PM
Charter Member

Toby's a sponsor here. Check him out... THIS is his profile with a bunch of links in his signature. Here is his last quickie lesson in the PLAY section. He's a good guy.
Old 02-20-2021, 05:03 PM
Charter Member

Another rec for Toby. He's a working blues musician, who will teach the same versions of the songs he plays onstage.

And he's a great guy who will play with anyone from the greats to someone who's still trying to figure it out
Old 02-20-2021, 05:19 PM

Quote:
I find activemelody.com a good site for blues and jazz, Brian explains well his un complicated approach to improvising lines over blues and jazzy chord progressions .I find the Soundslice tool for paying members is an excellent learning aid.Brian doesn't focus much on fingerstyle he does some nice hybrid picking but instruction on technique is not his thing, It's more a place to learn how to put the underlying theory of playing scale phrases over chords to practical use and how to jazz up basic progressions.
The free you tube videos give an introduction to the full lessons available on the website.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=I1LdeJuynRs
Old 02-20-2021, 07:40 PM

I just purchased a David Hamburger course on truefire, but won’t have time to get through it for a while. I’ve followed him on YouTube for a bit and he’s always got some interesting takes on blues and jazzy blues.
Old 02-21-2021, 10:25 AM

I would highly recommend David Hamburger’s monthly membership program (only $20 per month). It involves a new fingerpicking blues song every month and the lessons really compound over time with the goal of allowing you to learn fingerpicking, but also being able to arrange and improvise over any blues song.

He has a basic six steps series of videos on his YouTube channel (Fretboard Confidential) that is free and gives you a great introduction to fingerpicking blues and his style.

Toby Walker’s “packs” are also great. His E Pack is an especially good on-ramp.
Old 02-21-2021, 06:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Not an online course, but this is is one the best $20 I ever spent on guitar notation.

Woody Mann's Complete Acoustic Blues

The book has other some tunings as well as standard. It has downloadable content (all of the tunes). Really one of the best collections out there.

Also check out Homespun's instant downloadable lessons that you view online (Purple) or with their software. Roy Bookbinder, Mary Flowers and others have some great stuff on there.

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 02-23-2021, 10:14 AM

Jam play offers a free trial for forum members... use the search bar for Jamplay here and I’m sure it will come up. They’ve got a solid blues section, I thought. +1 to Stefan Grossman’s workshop too, especially if you like the old timey stuff.
Old 03-26-2021, 05:43 AM

Another vote for David Hamburger: he currently has published a step-by-step video series on how to play better fingerstyle blues with additional pdf, which you can watch at no cost here: https://www.fretboardconfidential.com/improvisation
Best regards, Sascha
Old 03-27-2021, 12:50 AM

Another vote here for Toby Walker, really good instruction and lots of courses to choose from.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write