The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN

Old 04-15-2021, 03:53 AM

Default Outstanding bluegrass video (Earl Scruggs!!!)

Hoo-whee, have I got a good one for all of you: Josh Graves, Earl Scruggs, Lester Flatt and others playing 70 tunes in a video that’s almost three hours long and looks like it was made in the 1950s. I’ve never spent much time listening to this kind of music before, so you’ll forgive my lack of familiarity with what are obviously some truly great artists.

I think the star here is supposed to be Josh Graves, whom I’d never even heard of. His playing is sometimes subdued and hard to hear, especially toward the beginning, but just let the video roll and you’ll hear some really tasty and suprisingly modern-sounding slide work. A few tunes into the video and I was saying to myself, “Hey, that was nice... Wait, who played that?

I came across this video because I was looking for something by Earl Scruggs. I’d heard his name and knew he was important, but I didn’t know he played guitar or that he was going to be just about the coolest picker I’ve ever seen. What a great showman, and just listen to his musicianship. Extraordinary!

I didn’t make it to the end of the video last night, but I took note of a few things I liked in particular. I’m going to link once to the whole thing and post “loose” links (not embedded) for the following tracks. If you can see it on the YouTube page (I can’t from my TV or smart phone), there’s a handy menu with links to cue all 70 tunes. I recommend you use that if you can and the links below if you can’t.

Here’s the whole video:

And here are some of the tunes I liked. The numbers and times are taken from the YouTube menu, and I’ve included links to get you to the start of each one:

04 Georgia Buck 0:06:33
Scruggs plays solo guitar. Close-up shots of his hands.

11 Don't Let Your Deal Go Down 0:22:59
First time in my adult life that I’ve heard a bluegrass version of this kind of “four-chord jam,” for lack of a better term. I’m more familiar with blues/ragtime versions: Tommy Johnson’s “I Wonder to Myself,” Charley Patton’s “Spoonful,” Willie McTell’s “Kill It Kid,” Gary Davis’ “Twelve Sticks,” etc.

30 Flint Hill Special 1:05:19
Good example of a detuning technique of his seen earlier in the video. It’s put to better and more artistic use here, in my opinion. Just as cool as all get out.

41 False-hearted lover 1:32:50
Scruggs plays guitar again, and there are better close-up shots of his somewhat unusual tecnique. I see him flicking his index Carter style once in a while and, for the bass runs, in some parts his index helps his thumb and in others it’s all thumb.

Hope you all enjoy this; it looks like there’s something for almost everyone.

Last edited by NormanKliman; 04-15-2021 at 04:12 AM.
Old 04-28-2021, 11:50 AM

I can’t even wrap my head around this playing. So good and thanks for posting.
Old 04-28-2021, 01:57 PM

Hey, glad you like it! They’re all really good, and Scruggs seems to have had an interesting life. I’ve read that he spent most of his youth woodshedding, and in the video it looks like he spent the rest of his life making all that skill look easy. Excellent stage presence.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt45 View Post
I can’t even wrap my head around this playing.
Well, get ready for this!

Old 04-28-2021, 03:19 PM

Incredible musicians...best of the best right there. And yet they make it look so easy!
Steve Martin is a great banjo player and yet I noticed he kind of stayed out of the way amongst these legends.
Old 04-28-2021, 06:36 PM
Charter Member

Earl Scruggs, banjo
- Glen Duncan, fiddle
- Randy Scruggs, acoustic guitar
- Steve Martin, 2nd banjo solo
- Vince Gill, 1st electric guitar solo
- Marty Stuart, mandolin
- Gary Scruggs, harmonica
- Albert Lee, 2nd electric guitar solo
- Paul Shaffer, piano
- Jerry Douglas, dobro
- Leon Russell, organ
- Glenn Worf, bass
- Harry Stinson, drums
Guild 12 String
Mark V Classical
Martin Dreadnaught
Weber Mandolin

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN