The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 10-30-2018, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
Doesn't like every single professional philharmonic player work from sheet music? I wouldn't tell them to stay home.
Those amateurs....

Old 10-30-2018, 11:57 AM
Charter Member

I like to learn my stuff, but I use OnSong on my iPad for learning lyrics and for making Set-Lists when I'm playing out solo or with the band. Mounts on a mic stand and, if I have a brain-fart during a song, the lines are there to refresh my memory - so no embarrassing pauses or silences.

It's very common to see some kind of lyrics-prompt nowadays, even amongst the big-name A-Listers. And singing from a smart-phone is pretty well de rigour with the Open-Mic crowd.

The usual disclaimers apply......IMHO, YMMV etc.

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 10-30-2018, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee1404 View Post
And singing from a smart-phone is pretty well de rigour with the Open-Mic crowd.
Interestingly, I've noticed the opposite at my local open mic. The amateurs do not use the cheat sheets but the professionals do. The reasoning is that we amateurs play our 'best' stuff and only have to remember three songs. The pros, on the other hand, are usually experimenting as impromptu 'bands' and playing something they don't know as well.

Happily, it puts everyone at ease because the beginners get to see the pros occasionally screw up.
Old 10-30-2018, 12:25 PM

Sounds like for some of you, the thought of using an iPad for lyrics or set list or music notation is somehow a bad thing? That’s too high-handed an attitude for me.
Old 10-30-2018, 12:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee1404 View Post
I like to learn my stuff, but I use OnSong on my iPad for learning lyrics and for making Set-Lists when I'm playing out solo or with the band. Mounts on a mic stand and, if I have a brain-fart during a song, the lines are there to refresh my memory - so no embarrassing pauses or silences.

It's very common to see some kind of lyrics-prompt nowadays, even amongst the big-name A-Listers. And singing from a smart-phone is pretty well de rigour with the Open-Mic crowd.

The usual disclaimers apply......IMHO, YMMV etc.
Yup if you'll look on the stage of any big name touring act you'll still see monitor wedges on stage, but all of them have in-ear monitors now. Those wedges are now video screens with lyrics, music, etc., just like we have on our iPads and phones.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 10-30-2018, 12:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Reno View Post
Sounds like for some of you, the thought of using an iPad for lyrics or set list or music notation is somehow a bad thing? That’s too high-handed an attitude for me.
Hi CR

I've chosen to be a participant and a student of this subject.

I've always been an early adopter, and had PA systems doing solo work in the early 1970s (when only bands carried them). I endured criticism and stayed away from arguments. I still use PAs & amps when necessary, and now I'm considered a throwback because I've not adopted a digital system (see no need to spend the $$$ when my analog gear still works/sounds just fine).

I use charts when there is no time to memorize. Most of my memorization is accidental and based on repetition/practice anyway. It's been easy for me since I was 8 yrs old and started accordion. At some point I just 'know' the music and lyrics.

Many of my friends on the other hand could not memorize as easily as I did (and still do not), and it doesn't affect my playing with them, nor my attitude toward them. I don't dwell on it.

I've always surrounded myself with musicians, and accepted the fact we are different than the average populace. And some of us are more biased than others…but I decided early on that's not going to be me.

So high-handed, or deliberately-keeping-keeping-themselves-unprofessional…I like all flavors of musicians. Even the ones who wish we'd all be like them.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 10-30-2018, 12:45 PM

What do you guys use on Android tablets?
2017 Washburn Revival 1939 Solo Deluxe reissue (S EIR sunburst) (Amber)
Fishman Loudbox Mini
2008 S style (Blue)
2018 T style (Pearl)
2019 Fender Mustang II V2
Old 10-30-2018, 12:51 PM

Because it is one of the best tools out there for music? I am in a band and we use them. Personally, I am not a professional. I don't have time to practice enough with my band or by myself to memorize all the chord changes and stuff that goes along with playing a 20 or 30 song set list. Do I wish we could do it without them? Sure. But I can't.

Ipads are fantastic. Once you have one, you will understand.
Kevin Enoch Tradesman Open Back Banjo
Collings MT2-O Honey Amber
Royce Burt #560 5-String Fiddle
Old 10-30-2018, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roylor4 View Post
Apparently it's a new and accepted thing now. For me, cheat sheets are for the house. If I need them for a gig, it ain't ready to be played out yet (IMO).

Then again we only know about 120 songs and I'm 55. If I was 65 and needed access to 300-400 songs I might get over my prejudice.
I agree but we all have our own choice.
To me, if I get paid I should know what I'm doing.
If it's a free show then it isn't as big a factor.
Old 10-30-2018, 01:14 PM
Charter Member

I been in a few tight bands where my parts were easy to reproduce without charts. I also have had some nice short (30 minute) sets of solo singer songwriter genre that I tried to go paper free. A pet peeve in watching other guitarists is the big black stand right in front of the guitar technique I yearned to see. I am ok with it being lower than waist high. That's what I do for paid side gigs. I haven't tried a pad but my new Yamaha P125 piano runs it's MIDI on one so I will be getting an iPad, apparently. One with a big screen for my 63 year old eyes.

I will check out the 30$ app. The world is getting better.
Old 10-30-2018, 01:14 PM

It may also be a help for backup pads and such. I know a lot of churches have been using iphones for synth tracks and pads. So very little effort adds a lot more to the show than a lone guitar.
Old 10-30-2018, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
...It's been easy for me since I was 8 yrs old and started accordion. At some point I just 'know' the music and lyrics.…I like all flavors of musicians. Even the ones who wish we'd all be like them.

Hi Larry,

Did I somehow indicate that I want everyone to be like me? I hope not. Kumbaya.

At my age, having a cue on paper or on an electronic device on stage is a nice fall-back if my memory fails me. Not sure why this is an offense to some.

I started playing a very long time ago (1958–banjo… 1962–guitar) and have learned countless songs over the years. I wish I could say I still have them all memorized, but that would be silly.
Old 10-30-2018, 01:15 PM
Charter Member

Our band doesn't use smartphones or tables on stage but we will look up lyrics to a song we haven't played before if the request is accompanied w/ a sufficient tip.
Old 10-30-2018, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L20A View Post
I agree but we all have our own choice.
To me, if I get paid I should know what I'm doing.
If it's a free show then it isn't as big a factor.
I think it goes back to the comments I've read on here countless times concerning brands of guitars and the tone of guitars. The crowd just wants to hear a good song that they can sing along with! They don't care what you choose to use to make that happen! I'm so mixed on it! Part of me feels like you do on knowing my material, but we've all had that brain-dead moment on stage when the lyrics are there one second and gone the next! To me that is more embarrassing than having an ipad with my lyrics on it.

2019 Bourgeois “Banjo Killer” Aged Tone Vintage Deluxe D
2018 Martin D41 Ambertone (2018 Reimagined)
2016 Taylor GS Mini Koa ES2

Last edited by Tnfiddler; 10-30-2018 at 02:11 PM.
Old 10-30-2018, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnfiddler View Post
I think it goes back to the comments I've read on here countless times concerning brands of guitars and the tone of guitars. The crowd just wants to hear a good song that they can sing along with! They don't care what you choose to use to make that happen! I'm so mixed on it! Part of me feels like you do on knowing my material, but we've all had that brain-dead moment on stage when the lyrics are there one second and gone the next! To me that is more embarrassing that having an ipad with my lyrics on it.
I will admit that the brain-dead thing has happened to me many times - both gigging and at home. I hate making up or repeating lyrics, but it happens sometimes.

I blanked out on the opening words to Proud Mary at a gig lat month - a song I have played A LOT. I told the crowd I had forgotten the words. They laughed - some because they understood and others because they though I was joking (I definitely was not). It came back to me a couple of songs later and I played it.

For me, forgetting stuff is part of playing live, but obviously with this readily available technology it really isn't. I think I'm just stubborn.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write