The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 08-08-2015, 11:16 AM

Default Introduction of Miss Maple

Hello to everyone and kind regards from Germany. At first I have to apologize for my poor English, but I'm really out of training..
This is my first post in this forum and I hope, I'm not doing "kind of silly things" like choosing the wrong channel or posting things not liked...
I've been a bassplayer for many years, but for different reasons I started guitar-playing about 4-5 years ago and after looking at and enjoying so many great and beautiful guitars in this forum and especially in the "custom shop" I wanted to introduce a new guitar, which is built by an young, not yet really well-known, but really very talented german luthier called Alexander Voss, who built in the last months "Miss Maple", an guitar with some really classical features like the choosen tonewoods (alpine spruce, maple, cedro, ebony), the size of the body, which reminds on a classic guitar and some in my eyes really interesting detail solutions like fanned frets, carbon reinforced neck, with an negative neckangle, elevated fingerbord, an hybrid bracing and arm- and palmrest...
Some pictures might give an better impression of the guitar and so they come here

starting with the rosette

and now I am deeply impressed by the finished guitar. For me she looks deeply awesome and she sounds really incredible.. a mixture of warmth and clarity, which makes speechless in some way. She reacts very, very fast and plays really easy. The worksmanship is really flawless...
Perhaps my posting might sound a "little bit" too enthusiastic, but I'm really deeply impressed by this guitar and can't stop playing and relishing...
Old 08-08-2015, 11:31 AM
Charter Member

Congratulations on your new guitar...
Old 08-08-2015, 12:01 PM

First welcome to the forum...great first post with pictures even!!!! The guitar looks very nice, very modern look and unique arm rest. I am sure it sounds wonderfully.

Congrats.
Old 08-08-2015, 12:59 PM
Charter Member

Location: Carson City, Nv (Want a jackrabbit? We've got extras!)
Default Mmmm...maple

Gotta love a maple guitar! I like the avant-garde styling. Congrats on a beautiful guitar.

How are those Schaller tuners? They're touted to be very, very smooth. Do you agree? They're hard to come by here in the USA.

In the night you hide from the madman
You're longing to be
But it all comes out on the inside
Eventually
Old 08-08-2015, 01:18 PM

Heck of a first post and guitar.
Old 08-08-2015, 02:57 PM

Welcome and thank you for sharing! She is a real looker!

The Acoustics

Tom Doerr - Trinity. Flamed Maple under Swiss
Tom Doerr - M/D. Braz under Red
Old 08-08-2015, 04:32 PM
Charter Member

Ooh, that looks super cool. Any sound samples?
Old 08-08-2015, 07:48 PM

Nice! Love the headstock. Thank you for posting.
Old 08-08-2015, 08:46 PM
AGF Sponsor

Very nice bevel! In maple no less--gutsy move. And pretty!

Steve

Crafted in the Piney Woods
Old 08-08-2015, 08:54 PM

Welcome to the forum, a truly handsome guitar!!
Old 08-09-2015, 01:28 AM

Thanks a lot to all for the warm welcome and the kind words
@rogthefrog: I don't have sound samples yet, but I'll try to make by and by. I just came back from a leave and so I have to arrange some things before..

@oddmanout: I love these Schaller Grand Tunes. It was my suggestion to use these tuners, because the work really fine and in my eyes they look beautiful. The original idea was to use Gotoh Tuners from a classic guitar, but I use these Grand Tunes on another Guitar ( a Lakewood) for some time and I'm really satisfied.

In my first post I forgot to mention, that this building is inspired from the "negative neckangle" from Michael Greenfield.
Old 08-09-2015, 06:23 AM

Hello LaFaro and to everyone else here.

I´m from Germany too, and my english is not the best, so please forgive me for (hopefully not to many) mistakes.
I´m a consistent reader of this forum (mostly custom shop section) since some years, but never wrote anything down. I think this thread is a good opportunity to change that.
I´m a hobby (acoustic) guitar builder by the way, and will post a build in the future, when my little shop is ready.

I am very happy to see a guitar by a german luthier here, especially by Alex Voss, because i met him in 2013 at the "Vintage Guitar Show Oldenburg" in germany and had a very nice talk about building, woods and guitars.
He is a very warm and friendly person.
I could see his guitars in person and touched them, they are very well made and sound even better. He brings a big part of construction methods from the spanish/classic guitar to his builds, wich you can see on his page.
Old 08-09-2015, 06:38 AM

Thanks for sharing. Really nice workmanship.

2023 Taylor AD22e
2001 Guild F47RCE

Certified Fretting Technician - Galloup School of Luthiery 2005
Guitar Builder/Tech
Old 08-10-2015, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxman View Post
I am very happy to see a guitar by a german luthier here, especially by Alex Voss, because i met him in 2013 at the "Vintage Guitar Show Oldenburg" in germany and had a very nice talk about building, woods and guitars.
He is a very warm and friendly person.
I could see his guitars in person and touched them, they are very well made and sound even better. He brings a big part of construction methods from the spanish/classic guitar to his builds, wich you can see on his page.
that's quite right and no wonder, because he's been trained in building classical guitars by Stephan Schlemper, a well-known german luthier. And for me the mixture of old and well-proven construction methods with some newer and sometimes even more experimental approaches is really fascinating. For example to adapt the concept of a spanish neckjoint to create an negative neckangle and an elevated fingerboard combined with an "spanish neckjoint"...
as you can see here

before closing the box

before glueing the neck to the neckjoint
Old 08-10-2015, 08:18 AM
Charter Member

Location: Carson City, Nv (Want a jackrabbit? We've got extras!)

Ahhh...a Spanish heel...a true design hybrid it is.

In the night you hide from the madman
You're longing to be
But it all comes out on the inside
Eventually

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop