The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 03-15-2014, 10:27 PM

I'll see what I can do. I don't have any really great recording mics but I'll play around with some things and see if I can get them sounding decent.
Old 03-16-2014, 08:14 AM
Guest 33123

Day 3: well I have the first 8 bars down. I can play them straight through without mistakes. It does take a few tries to get there though. There's a transition in the last bar and then the first 8 bars are repeated with a different transition into the chorus. Now I just need to work on the first transition into the repeat. Almost there.
Old 03-16-2014, 12:07 PM

Gosh I'm really looking forward to hearing some of these songs! You may have to wait for a long time for mine though.. I think my guitar teacher thoroughly enjoyed himself last week giving me this piece to learn - it looks simple but the fingerings remind me of that twister game …how many odd shapes can the left hand make before collapsing in a heap? Has a name that I think translates to "Weeping waltz." Hope it doesn't end up with me weeping in frustration. To cap it all he also gave me one of those string crossing exercises where the right hand is constantly at odds with the left… my brain is going to explode... (yes I know it's good for me BUT…)
Old 03-16-2014, 08:34 PM
Charter Member

Another setback in the resurrection of a long forgotten song...after chord changes in the middle, which was new yesterday, the song goes back to the original chord progression in DOUBLE TIME which I had forgotten about, so now even more rhythmic issues when I picked this song to learn because of the lead.

CK
Tab link to project - http://www.petehuttlinger.com/pdf/Late_Winter_Score.pdf

Old 03-17-2014, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypress Knee View Post
Another setback in the resurrection of a long forgotten song...after chord changes in the middle, which was new yesterday, the song goes back to the original chord progression in DOUBLE TIME which I had forgotten about, so now even more rhythmic issues when I picked this song to learn because of the lead.
that's a pretty tune. the lead part looks to be a lot trickier than the rhythm part. it's nicely tabbed out.
Old 03-17-2014, 08:29 AM
Guest 33123

Day 4: spent an hour and a half last night on the new song. 5 hours total playing guitar last night. Whew! I got the transition between the first and second verses and can now play the first 14 bars all together after some serious effort. I need to focus on solidifying what I know now before moving on to the transition between the second verse and the chorus and beyond.

I'll probably take the night off tonight and spent some extra time with my son.
Old 03-17-2014, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Doug View Post
Day 2: I'm probably slower than most but I've worked out the first eight bars so far. I can play thorough the first 4 bars non-stop but after that it gets kind of herkey jerky. It's a bit of slog but fun because I really like the tune. My wife is excited too. Such a nice song you can sing along to.
i'm terribly slow. by "the glory of love", i assume you mean the old benny goodman tune. i searched and see big bill broonzy did a cover. is that the version you are going for, or someone else's version?

Old 03-17-2014, 10:08 AM
Guest 33123

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc1 View Post
i'm terribly slow. by "the glory of love", i assume you mean the old benny goodman tune. i searched and see big bill broonzy did a cover. is that the version you are going for, or someone else's version?

Yes the old pop tune. The version I'm learning is based on BBB's version from a Stefan Grossman video.
Old 03-17-2014, 10:23 AM

I have been working every day on Hey Jude. The good thing, I guess is that it is demanding me to learn pull-offs, something I suppose I never got around to. It just has a couple of quick ones in a row, so that's the main sticking point. Also, it's not that it's SO hard to sing, but it's hard to sing something so familiar to the whole world who has exact expectations of what the song has to sound like.

So, it's good so far....
Old 03-17-2014, 10:49 AM

Still working on the Amie intro. As this is the first picking song I've tried to learn, I don't expect I will learn it very quickly but I can already see improvement. It's fun to see the differences in speed based on where I place my hands. I'm going from a tab so I have to figure out where to place my hand so I can hit the maximum number of notes with the minimum amount of movement.

Fun stuff.
Old 03-17-2014, 12:27 PM

I think it would take me till this time next year to learn that Late Winter song - and even then it's doubtful it would be recognizable looking forward to hearing it!
Old 03-17-2014, 05:57 PM

after working on the final 9 bars of the tune, i backed up and play the last 20. this tune, while simple, is a tough one for me to remember from memory, so i'm keeping the tab in front of me. there are no repeats or identical material.

i also went looking on youtube for versions of it. i found a couple i really like (one guitar, one lute), one that was nicely played but too fast, and a couple that weren't so good. once i can get the tune somewhat under my fingers, i'll use transcribe slow down software to play along at a slower speed and emulate some of the versions i like. i can then also speed up the piece to the tempo i am looking for. transcribe also lets me adjust pitch without retuning the guitar or even play with a capo on.

with these old lute/bandora tunes from manuscripts, there are typically slight variations between the different manuscripts. i believe this tune exists in 4 different manuscripts. i was able to find the original of one of them, which is slightly different from the version i am using.

i also have started playing through the whole piece, which is only 46 bars long. there are only a couple of tricky parts that require special practice and attention. i think i will keep a tally sheet of how many times i play through the whole piece. i did this once before and was surprised just how many times it took me to get comfortable with it. i also will work on any problematic sections in isolation.
Old 03-19-2014, 08:47 AM
Guest 33123

Day 5: this is tougher going than I had hoped. It's a pretty simple tune so I don't know why I'm struggling. After much effort I learned the 2 bar transition to the chorus and played through the first 16 bars without mistakes. On to the chorus next.
Old 03-19-2014, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Doug View Post
Day 5: this is tougher going than I had hoped. It's a pretty simple tune so I don't know why I'm struggling. After much effort I learned the 2 bar transition to the chorus and played through the first 16 bars without mistakes. On to the chorus next.
Stefan has a couple versions of this tune -- one fairly simple, the other not so simple.
Old 03-19-2014, 06:15 PM

I'm still struggling with my flat picking, hitting the right strings, fretting the right notes. I did post a recording of "Anything but Mine" over on the Show and Tell sub forum. Though that is technically a new song that I've learned, its not the one that that I'm working on for this challenge.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write