The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 01-01-2013, 12:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiloKiley View Post
...Post suggestions if you have them, preferably with pictures so I can visualize what I should be looking for. I don't need anything fancy, just has to be functional.
Hi Rilo...

My SoundSeat. Has been my only seat for playing since 2006.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

Last edited by ljguitar; 01-01-2013 at 12:14 PM.
Old 01-01-2013, 05:53 PM

Any chair without armrests, with a back support, that isn't too small, and preferably has cushioning.
http://stevehung.bandcamp.com
Old 01-03-2013, 06:34 PM

Craigs list, $15, works great.
Search "office chairs"...take the arms off.

Old 01-03-2013, 08:01 PM

I feel like I'm missing something, why the need for a special chair? Isn't part of the charm of a guitar that you can play it sitting on your bed, reclining on the couch or even just sat on the floor?
Old 01-04-2013, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnd View Post
I feel like I'm missing something, why the need for a special chair? Isn't part of the charm of a guitar that you can play it sitting on your bed, reclining on the couch or even just sat on the floor?
Sure, but you can't necessarily play it well. Comes a time in your development where issues like which chair and which knee and where your left thumb is precisely have to be tweaked so that you can get to a new level of playing. Learning to play standing does have the benefit of letting you move from venue to venue and have the same body dynamics. The more I play in public on whatever chair is available, the more I too think, hmm, it'd be nice to have a portable stool-with-a-back to practice and perform with.
Old 01-04-2013, 06:25 AM

I just purchased a Sound Sound seat in December, after reading all the great reviews, and couldn't be more pleased. I should have made the investment years ago but was unwilling to spend the money on a dedicated chair. It's funny how we will spend thousands on guitars and balk on a comfortable seat to play them on.
RainSong P-12
Alvarez/Yairi CY 140
Old 01-04-2013, 08:25 AM

Quote:
I can remember as a teenager sitting cross-legged on the floor and playing guitar. If I did that now, at age 59, I would not be able to move the next day. Maybe not even be able to get off the floor.
Old 01-05-2013, 02:04 PM

Quote:
You are missing something....everybody knows sitting on a $200+ chair makes you a better player.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write