The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 04-09-2021, 04:16 PM

Wisconsin used to have a statute that required a 1year waiting period, following divorce, before an individual could legally remarry in state.

Individuals who didn’t want to wait could bypass the law, crossing state lines.

Not saying that’s the case in this situation. I am not a lawyer, so you may want to research this for deeper understanding.
Old 04-09-2021, 04:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonWer View Post
Wisconsin used to have a statute that required a 1year waiting period, following divorce, before an individual could legally remarry in state.

Individuals who didn’t want to wait could bypass the law, crossing state lines.

Not saying that’s the case in this situation. I am not a lawyer, so you may want to research this for deeper understanding.
According to the marriage license this was a first marriage for both bride and groom....
Martin 000-15sm
Old 04-09-2021, 07:59 PM

Could it be that the bride's family lived in Iowa, and were not from Wisconsin? Therefore out of respect for the bride's family, the ceremony was held in Wisconsin.
Old 04-09-2021, 08:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfoo6952 View Post
Could it be that the bride's family lived in Iowa, and were not from Wisconsin? Therefore out of respect for the bride's family, the ceremony was held in Wisconsin.
Good guess but no. She was estranged from her family who were from Madison, WI. For that reason I keep going back to the idea that it was either a quick decision to get married which was easier accomplished in Iowa and/or she didn't want her marriage publicized in the Madison newspaper...
Martin 000-15sm
Old 04-10-2021, 01:13 PM

If the intention was merely to get out of Wisconsin then Rockford IL is closer than Dubuque. So I wonder if Iowa had some statute or dispensation that made marriage quicker or easier.

Or maybe it was just a nice place to get married and spend the honeymoon.

Do you have records showing exactly where they got married, by whom, and who the witnesses were?
Old 04-10-2021, 02:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmac View Post
I...Do you have records showing exactly where they got married, by whom, and who the witnesses were?
Yes. Ancestry.com sent me a copy of their marriage license which started this whole question since my ladyfriend was under the impression that they'd gotten married in Madison...
Martin 000-15sm
Old 04-10-2021, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
Yes. Ancestry.com sent me a copy of their marriage license which started this whole question since my ladyfriend was under the impression that they'd gotten married in Madison...
Was it in a church, which suggests some planning, or in an office, which might suggest urgency?
Old 04-10-2021, 02:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmac View Post
Was it in a church, which suggests some planning, or in an office, which might suggest urgency?
I can't say for sure except that the bride and groom were married by an Evangelical Lutheran minister which would obviously suggest a church...
Martin 000-15sm
Old 04-10-2021, 02:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
I can't say for sure except that the bride and groom were married by an Evangelical Lutheran minister which would obviously suggest a church...
I’m betting there was a personal connection by the bride or the bride’s family to that specific place or that specific minister. Planning an out-of-state wedding by a minister implies that this wasn’t simply a matter of convenience.

Lots of my family members didn’t even have phones in 1941.

What did your friend’s dad do in the war? Where did he enlist?

Optima dies, prima fugit
For Sale: Larrivee P 01Khttps://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...49#post7433849
Old 04-10-2021, 03:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Owen View Post
...What did your friend’s dad do in the war? Where did he enlist?
He was 4F....
Martin 000-15sm
Old 04-10-2021, 03:29 PM

I did some more digging and found the extract from the Dubuque Telegraph of June 8th, 1941.

In 1935, however, before the days of midwestern restrictive marriage legislation, the average monthly marriage volume in the same 85 counties, for all 12 months of the year was 1,422. May, however, usually is an above-average time of the year for nuptials. Boom Began In 1937 Iowa became a marriage mill state after Wisconsin and Illinois in 1937 passed laws requiring couples to undergo blood tests against the presence of syphilis before obtaining marriage' licenses. In 1935 approximately 20,000 marriage licenses were issued in Iowa. Last year the total topped 47,000. The 49th Iowa General Assembly placed a “marriage health” statute in the books early this spring. May was the first full month in which the law had operated. “In some states passage of such a law has resulted almost Immediately In an abrupt decline of marriages to points far below normal expectancy,” said Dr. E. P. Pfeiffer, state vital statistics director. “Iowa is at least even with, if not over, normal figures at the close of the first full month of the law.”
So there was a phrase at the time, a "marriage mill", to describe a state or or place that performed many marriages for whatever reason, in this case the need for blood tests.

Newspaper clippings, found through Google searches, found a number of Madison couples marrying in Dubuque so it seems that this was not at all unusual.
Old 04-10-2021, 03:39 PM
Charter Member

Great job, cmac.....
Martin 000-15sm
Old 04-10-2021, 04:40 PM
Charter Member

Yep. Cmac had the answer.

Randy, when I got married in NC, we were living in Charlottesville. It was a hassle getting an NC license. I had to have the blood test. Worse still, my doctor had to sign a form stating that I was of sound mind. She was reluctant to sign the form.

Here, in Ga, folks regularly slip into Alabama to get hitched. There’s not much of an age restriction. And no one asks nosey questions.

Optima dies, prima fugit
For Sale: Larrivee P 01Khttps://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...49#post7433849

Last edited by Jim Owen; 04-10-2021 at 04:46 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic