The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 11-01-2021, 08:17 AM

Understood re artwork but it is at wife’s request. Current plan calls for GIK corner bass traps to the ceiling, two 2” 2x4 panels on either side at mirror trick first reflection points (2” at wife’s strong request), then two 4” 2x4 panels opposite the tracking area - which is 13’ wide by 6’ long. Additionally there will be two 4” 2x4 gobo panels that will stand at the back of the tracking area to cover a 4x6 window 6’ further back. Altogether the room is 18’ long 13’ wide and 8.2 feet tall. So two 4’ wide panels in the tracking area to cover the 6’ wide tracking space. So I was worrying about the spacing of the 4” panels in the tracking area. I could either stagger two 2x4 panels on each side or place them parallel. Parallel makes the most sense to me so if I am to place the tracking area panels 6” apart, perhaps I need a 4” 1x4 panel in between two 2x4 4” panels to fully span the 6’ x 13’ tracking area. Or I can stagger two 2x4 panels (not parallel) to cover the tracking area.
2016 Taylor 814ce DLX
68 Blond Fender Telecaster
Old 11-01-2021, 08:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigmadevotee View Post
Understood re artwork but it is at wife’s request. Current plan calls for GIK corner bass traps to the ceiling, two 2” 2x4 panels on either side at mirror trick first reflection points (2” at wife’s strong request), then two 4” 2x4 panels opposite the tracking area - which is 13’ wide by 6’ long. Additionally there will be two 4” 2x4 gobo panels that will stand at the back of the tracking area to cover a 4x6 window 6’ further back. Altogether the room is 18’ long 13’ wide and 8.2 feet tall. So two 4’ wide panels in the tracking area to cover the 6’ wide tracking space. So I was worrying about the spacing of the 4” panels in the tracking area. I could either stagger two 2x4 panels on each side or place them parallel. Parallel makes the most sense to me so if I am to place the tracking area panels 6” apart, perhaps I need a 4” 1x4 panel in between two 2x4 4” panels to fully span the 6’ x 13’ tracking area. Or I can stagger two 2x4 panels (not parallel) to cover the tracking area.
I'm starting to feel like a picture is necessary to understand what you're doing.

But, the short answer is - When working in a non-optimal space, plan to move things around until it works the best for the thing you're recording and the space you're in. You might need different arrangements for acoustic guitar vs. vocal vs. pan flute, etc.

I saw someone doing a test in their recording space and the placement of a pair of gobos was most effective when place in a V shape - can't recall if in front or behind was best, and it probably depends a great deal on what the rest of the space is like, but the idea is that you want to either capture/suppress what's immediately coming from the source (V in front) so there's less energy entering the rest of the space to work it's way back, or work the area behind the source to damp reflections that would otherwise get to the mic.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Tags
oc703, panel, treatment