The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 03-10-2020, 05:44 AM

Default Noise problem with iSolo

Hi Guys,

I'm hoping you can help me. I bought an iSolo to record with and I'm getting noise though it that is ruining my recordings.

I find the receiver to be a bit hissy, but I can live with that. The main issue is that when I turn on the mic itself I get a lot of digital noise - like when a mobile phone interferes with an analogue device. It's definitely being transmitted by the mic because when I turn the preamp up on the mic using the little slider switch it increases.

I've tried turning off my phone, using it on a laptop away from PC (my PC is pretty high-spec and puts out a fair dose of RF noise) but I can't seem to get rid of it.

Any ideas? I'm starting to wish I'd just got a normal condenser mic, but this seemed like a good idea at the time...
Old 05-27-2020, 02:28 PM

Hi Ralph
I am considering buying one of these as they seem quite good from the reviews. Did you ever overcome the problems you were having?
Old 05-27-2020, 02:33 PM

I got in contact with them and they sent me a new transmitter, which didn't help.

What it turned out to be was the analogue parts of the receiver actually picking up digital noise from the transmitter's signal. Moving away from it helped. Ie putting the amp/receiver on the other side of the room, not just a few feet from it.

Their tech support was very helpful.

I'd say the sound quality is ok, but not great. In the end i sold it on eBay and bought a £100 pencil condenser mic, which blows it out of the water for sound quality.

Unless you have a use-case for really needing it, eg you really want to move around, not use your guitar near a mic, then I'm not sure I see the point in it really. I thought it would be good for recording, but honestly, a simple mic on a stand is cheaper, simpler and better.
Old 05-27-2020, 11:43 PM

Thank you for being so helpful and detailed in your reply. You may have saved me £400!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD