The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-03-2020, 12:17 AM

Default What guitar to upgrade to for a beginner-intermediate?

I want to upgrade my very trusty but rather basic Bristol BD16 to something more sophisticated. I’m looking for an OM or OOO guitar mainly for confort purposes, as my dreadnought is bulky and not in the easy end of playability. I practice several hours a day and is starting to get annoying, sometimes i would practice more, but i just feel tired, im not small, but this thing is BIG. So im looking for something not only that sounds good, but that feels good to play. Im on the second hand market, and found some interesting stuff.

I consider myself a beginner, but i see entering the intermediate level rather soon. I can actually do some intermediate stuff, but my technique is still a bit sketchy, and i feel like my Bristol doesn’t help either. Im pretty serious about guitar playing tho, so the guitar ill purchase will service me many years from now. I don’t know if save some money, just keep improving and upgrade bigger later, or invest a bit more now and stick to that guitar more time. I like to play Country, Folk, Bluegrass, some Blues, and some silly campfire stuff. I do fingerstyle, flatpicking, and struming.

These are the Guitars:
Sigma GMC-STE ---- 220€ (360€ New)
Sigma 000-18M ---- 250€ (400€ New)
Takamine Gn93ce-nat ---- 280€ (550€ New)
Eastman E1OM ---- 400€ (575€ New)
Eastman AC312 ---- 480€ (650€ New)
GUILD GAD F20 ITB ---- 550€ (600€ New)
Eastman AC412 ---- 550€ (780€ New)

The “new” prices are an aproximation as many of these guitars are discontinued. They are all good value for the money, specially as they all seem in very good condition. I think the Eastman AC412 is a pretty good guitar, sounds great on youtube and people says has good playability, thats what im looking for. Its the one that caught my eye, and she’s so pretty . I like how versatile rosewood sounds, rich, vibrant, loud. Looks like you can play anything on rosewood, struming, flatpicking or fingerstyle. And the AC412 its the only one with solid rosewood back an sides.
But maybe i could be fine with a more basic guitar with less high end tonewoods, but still good for playability like the Takamine or the Sigmas. Takamine looks pretty solid too, specially for that price. Its the only with electronics, but i don’t think i will ever use that. What you think?
Old 03-03-2020, 01:01 AM

Good luck on your quest for a guitar upgrade.

I have a Bristol BD-16, and am quite interested in the recommendations you get.

My Bristol plays really nicely, and is set up perfectly. I have a bone nut, saddle and bridge pin upgrades as well as Gotoh tuners and a Fishman pickup installed.

If I would have saved up and spent more money on my first guitar (instead of continuing to invest in upgrades), I could have had a nicer starter guitar. Only thing is at the time I had no clue what would be better or that I’d want or need something nicer.

While my BD-16 fits me great, you’re smart to look for an upgrade that fits you better. Have fun and let us know how your search goes.
Old 03-03-2020, 01:19 AM

Try as many as you can and see which is comfortable and sounds good to you and best suits your needs.As you are not a total beginner you have already learned what you dont want,so you are halfway there.
I have Martin,Taylor and Alvarez , but the one I pick up most was the cheapest, a Sigma OMM-ST so its not always about the name.
Old 03-03-2020, 01:20 AM

Yamaha CSF3.

Faith Mercury.

Faith Nomad Neptune.

Used Larrivee P-02.

Those are all parlour size. You could also try the Faith Venus if you can find one in your area.

Blueridge make nice guitars and you might be able to pick up a used one of those that suits you for price and size.

Mark Twain
Old 03-03-2020, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishwatcher View Post
Good luck on your quest for a guitar upgrade.

I have a Bristol BD-16, and am quite interested in the recommendations you get.

My Bristol plays really nicely, and is set up perfectly. I have a bone nut, saddle and bridge pin upgrades as well as Gotoh tuners and a Fishman pickup installed.

If I would have saved up and spent more money on my first guitar (instead of continuing to invest in upgrades), I could have had a nicer starter guitar. Only thing is at the time I had no clue what would be better or that I’d want or need something nicer.

While my BD-16 fits me great, you’re smart to look for an upgrade that fits you better. Have fun and let us know how your search goes.
I thought on upgrading my Bristol, as it is indeed a very good guitar for his price range, the laminated body doesn't sound bad at all. But besides the poor setup i have on it, one of my concerns is the bulkyness.
I think its one of the biggest "standard" dreadnoughts there is with more than 5 inches deep at the bottom of the body. Its really something that annoys me, as my right arm doesn't stay relaxed and i have to push the guitar to my body constantly.
I know this is something that i am maybe the only one experience it. But i would like to have a concert body type guitar anyway to practice everyday. I think its more convenient, specially for fingerstyle.

Did you noticed a huge improvment in playability by upgrading your setup? And how much a similar setup could cost? i maybe upgrade it later, as i really like this guitar, and is my first acoustic, so theres always something special about that.
Old 03-03-2020, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotveryGood View Post
Try as many as you can and see which is comfortable and sounds good to you and best suits your needs.As you are not a total beginner you have already learned what you dont want,so you are halfway there.
I have Martin,Taylor and Alvarez , but the one I pick up most was the cheapest, a Sigma OMM-ST so its not always about the name.
Thats interesting to hear, i guess quality tonewoods and nice finish doesnt always means more confort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewood_Lad View Post
Yamaha CSF3.

Faith Mercury.

Faith Nomad Neptune.

Used Larrivee P-02.

Those are all parlour size. You could also try the Faith Venus if you can find one in your area.

Blueridge make nice guitars and you might be able to pick up a used one of those that suits you for price and size.
Yeah ive been looking for blueridge too, they seem nice for the price. Thank you, i would check those models.
Old 03-03-2020, 06:49 AM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by samplerico View Post
I want to upgrade my very trusty but rather basic Bristol BD16 to something more sophisticated. I’m looking for an OM or OOO guitar mainly for confort purposes, as my dreadnought is bulky and not in the easy end of playability. I practice several hours a day and is starting to get annoying, sometimes i would practice more, but i just feel tired, im not small, but this thing is BIG. So im looking for something not only that sounds good, but that feels good to play. Im on the second hand market, and found some interesting stuff.

I consider myself a beginner, but i see entering the intermediate level rather soon. I can actually do some intermediate stuff, but my technique is still a bit sketchy, and i feel like my Bristol doesn’t help either. Im pretty serious about guitar playing tho, so the guitar ill purchase will service me many years from now. I don’t know if save some money, just keep improving and upgrade bigger later, or invest a bit more now and stick to that guitar more time. I like to play Country, Folk, Bluegrass, some Blues, and some silly campfire stuff. I do fingerstyle, flatpicking, and struming.

These are the Guitars:

The “new” prices are an aproximation as many of these guitars are discontinued. They are all good value for the money, specially as they all seem in very good condition. I think the Eastman AC412 is a pretty good guitar, sounds great on youtube and people says has good playability, thats what im looking for. Its the one that caught my eye, and she’s so pretty . I like how versatile rosewood sounds, rich, vibrant, loud. Looks like you can play anything on rosewood, struming, flatpicking or fingerstyle. And the AC412 its the only one with solid rosewood back an sides.
But maybe i could be fine with a more basic guitar with less high end tonewoods, but still good for playability like the Takamine or the Sigmas. Takamine looks pretty solid too, specially for that price. Its the only with electronics, but i don’t think i will ever use that. What you think?
When you talk about "playability" what are you talking about? What "People" find playable, you may not." Some people like low profile necks, some need a chunky neck to avoid cramps, some people like 1 11/16" necks, some need 1.75" or 1 13/16". Some people like jumbo guitars, some people like OM or 000 and some people like all of them

In other words, forget what people say and go out and play a bunch for a while and see how they feel and sound.

Don't forget, getting the guitar setup is important.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 03-03-2020, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samplerico View Post

These are the Guitars:

I play old country and bluegrass. Started playing just over 50 years ago. Then stepped away from regular play for a few decades. Back to it on a daily basis.

I have a Takamine GD93. No cut out so no electronics. I couldn't be happier. I looked at the CE but I I don't plug in so why spend the money.

I also have GJ72CE 12 string. Fabulous guitar. The Takamine could very well be your forever guitar. I know I don't have a need for another acoustic. The Takamine's have my bases covered.
2019 Takamine GD93
2022 Takamine GJ72CE 6-String
2022 Cort GA-QF CBB
1963 Gibson SG
2016 Kala uke
Dean A style mandolin. (Year unknown)
Lotus L80 (1984ish)
Plus a few lower end I have had for years
Old 03-03-2020, 08:09 AM

Personally, I am looking at the Taylor Academy 10e for my upgrade. You probably would prefer the 12e model. Comfortable to me and just booms with sound.
Old 03-03-2020, 08:31 AM

I went from an all plywood Takamine dread to an all solid wood Larrivee OM-03R. I never knew how much a cheap guitar had been holding me back but I found that the OM body was the "sweet spot" between the bulky feeling dreadnought and boxy sounding parlors and that guitar continues to inspire me to play 16 years later. Larrivees are also very durable. Highly recommended.
Old 03-03-2020, 11:29 AM
Charter Member

You are going to get a million different answers with this question. I would make sure your Bristol had a proper set-up.

Whereabouts are you? If you are here in the States, check out Elderly Instruments. They distribute Farida guitars exclusively here in the US and have some unique models. As well, they do have a limited edition all-sapale Martin dreadnought junior that was commissioned for there anniversary. Either of those options are what I would go to if it was me wanting something that was not too bulky like a dread.
Old 03-03-2020, 02:57 PM

You stated you want something less bulky than a dread, but if you like the dread tone, I recommend the Taylor Big Baby. It's a 15/16 dread (about the overall size of an OM) and has a full 25.5 scale. It is a terrific guitar for the low price. I only gave mine up for a Taylor 324 (one in-one out policy).
Old 03-03-2020, 03:41 PM

Sun Valley Guitars has some Eastman blems with very attractive pricing, and Brian is excellent and responsive, and a forum sponsor, obviously.

Best luck. Enjoy the hunt.
Old 03-03-2020, 05:30 PM

I tried out some eastmans yesterday. The E2D was the guitar I liked best. Including models twice the price. Not ideal spacing and nut for fingerplaying but god enough.
But you seem to have a nice collection of guitars. Do you really need another?
Old 03-03-2020, 06:50 PM

play as many guitars of every description that you can. Buy the best guitar that speaks to you that you can afford. If you really stay with it the higher cost will even out over time and you will not jump from one guitar to another that might be an incremental upgrade.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion