The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 03-03-2020, 06:18 AM

The demo's I heard sounded good to me......
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Ibanez Acoustic Bass 12 M1
Martin 12 string X Series
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

Formerly known as Martin Maniac.....

M
Old 03-04-2020, 07:02 AM

I built a stand for the Fostex 80 which is scheduled for delivery on Friday.....it's going to be awesome....

[IMG][/IMG]
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

M
Old 03-04-2020, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Maniac View Post
In case you are wondering why I'm using two mixers in my rig, it because the Tascam doesn't have phantom power for my mics, It works fine for my instruments. At first it was a little tricky getting the levels right, but it's all set up nice now. As it turned out I'm using all the channels in both mixers anyhow.
No matter how you gain stage things, going from one eco-mixer to another isn't going to do anything good for the sound. An outboard 48 volt supply is all you need to eliminate the extra mixer.
Old 03-04-2020, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRuskin View Post
No matter how you gain stage things, going from one eco-mixer to another isn't going to do anything good for the sound. An outboard 48 volt supply is all you need to eliminate the extra mixer.
I would need one for every mic, and I wouldn't have the extra channels to work with.
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

M
Old 03-04-2020, 11:51 AM

Quote:
I would need one for every mic, and I wouldn't have the extra channels to work with.
They make units that will run 2, 4, 6, even 10 mics. How many mics needing power do you use at one time?
Old 03-04-2020, 11:54 AM

Quote:
The demo's I heard sounded good to me......
I think you'll have a lot of fun and learn a lot!

Couch Standards
Old 03-04-2020, 12:08 PM

Ya I'll have a blast with it.
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

M
Old 03-04-2020, 06:27 PM
Charter Member

Default Two Camps

Howzit,

There seem to be two camps here for posters commenting about MartinManiac's latest "sonic" reel experiment:

"WTF?" &

"You'll learn a lot."

And as usual, also a lot of well-considered suggestions from experienced pro's & help have been provided that go over the head & in fact, seem to annoy.

I think the truth is found in MartinManiac's 'out of context statement', "Both units are black and will look nice together."

Have fun bouncing tracks on your new/ 40 year-old, Fostex-80-8, MartinManiac. If you've got the cash & time to burn, why not? When I first heard 8-track to cassette recordings made on that 1/4" (?!?) multi-track, reel machine, that's what I wished I had to throw at it - an M80. That product went through the consumer markets like scheisse through a goose & Fostex killed it after two years. Leaving tape behind -for digital- actually saved my dog's behind.

It will be interesting to try & listen to your recordings. Which brand of tape will you use? Ready to clean your new toy's heads daily? Or replace those thin heads annually (if you can find them)? And keep 'er greased in your dusty space?

What's next? Some classic Portastudio masters from which many of us old timers tried to create gig cassettes for sale? Oh, the nostalgia! Oh the compression & hiss!

Good luck, MartinManiac. Enjoy your "reel" ride.

alohachris

Last edited by alohachris; 03-04-2020 at 07:12 PM.
Old 03-04-2020, 07:12 PM

Well, I have a collection of recording devices and this just adds to the collection...at one point I had a 6 track machine that recorded onto cassette, and that worked fabulously. It never became popular though but it worked great. This machine intrigues me more so than the Teac 4 track offerings. I get 8 tracks to work with, it'll record directly off my Tascam mixer and like I said will look very interesting in my studio. Plus it's in my budget. A two inch machine is too bulky, and would cost a fortune for tape, and would cost way more than I can afford. This machine makes much more sense to me, and gets me back into the analog world.
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

M
Old 03-04-2020, 07:37 PM

I buy lots of off beat items for various reasons, like tonight I bought a vintage Milkshake maker, the old fashioned kind that aireates the milk and ice cream. Reason being I scored McDonald's original milkshake recipe and can now make milkshakes for under 50 cents each vrs $3-4.00 at the restaurant.
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

M
Old 03-05-2020, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alohachris View Post
Howzit,

There seem to be two camps here for posters commenting about MartinManiac's latest "sonic" reel experiment:

"WTF?" &

"You'll learn a lot."

And as usual, also a lot of well-considered suggestions from experienced pro's & help have been provided that go over the head & in fact, seem to annoy.

I think the truth is found in MartinManiac's 'out of context statement', "Both units are black and will look nice together."

Have fun bouncing tracks on your new/ 40 year-old, Fostex-80-8, MartinManiac. If you've got the cash & time to burn, why not? When I first heard 8-track to cassette recordings made on that 1/4" (?!?) multi-track, reel machine, that's what I wished I had to throw at it - an M80. That product went through the consumer markets like scheisse through a goose & Fostex killed it after two years. Leaving tape behind -for digital- actually saved my dog's behind.

It will be interesting to try & listen to your recordings. Which brand of tape will you use? Ready to clean your new toy's heads daily? Or replace those thin heads annually (if you can find them)? And keep 'er greased in your dusty space?

What's next? Some classic Portastudio masters from which many of us old timers tried to create gig cassettes for sale? Oh, the nostalgia! Oh the compression & hiss!

Good luck, MartinManiac. Enjoy your "reel" ride.

alohachris
A lot there could have been left unsaid I think. Actually there are three camps - the third being 'have fun with it. It's your thing, enjoy it!'
Old 03-05-2020, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alohachris View Post
Howzit,

"WTF?" &

"You'll learn a lot."

On the first page, the OP said:
Quote:
Thanks for the advice guys, I don't need or can afford a $300 toy to play with. I had one about 30 years ago and am starting to remember what it sounded like. What I already have now, works great and sounds good enough for my ears.
which led many to believe that he was NOT looking for something to play with, explore, and have fun - but was looking for something to raise his recording game. And then he reverses his position and buys anyway.

My suggestion to the OP - be clearer in your initial post about your intention AND pre-existing bias.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 03-05-2020, 01:41 PM

Yes it's true I was wavering back and forth trying to make up my mind what to do. After much thought I decided on the Fostex 80. I haven't changed my mind since. This is a process I go thru all the time with large purchases. I asked for advice and got it. It was good sound advice, but I decided I wanted to add a new dimension to my studio. Like I said this machine brings me back to the analog world....for better or worse.

Delivery is tomorrow and I'm excited about it.
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

M
Old 03-06-2020, 10:34 AM

I hit the jackpot with recording tape, I found a box of old tape on 5" and 7" reels. I've got 30 reels of 7" tape and 3 reels of 5". The tapes are in various condition ranging from brand new never used to grungy looking.....I'd going to clean them up and see what I have. Any advice on proper care or restoration of these tapes is welcome. TIA.

I've got one reel of Quantegy tape that was never used, it's a couple years old but in like new condition. Other brands I have are Maxell, Scotch, Memorex, etc....
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

M
Old 03-06-2020, 11:00 AM

Quote:
I hit the jackpot with recording tape, I found a box of old tape on 5" and 7" reels. I've got 30 reels of 7" tape and 3 reels of 5". The tapes are in various condition ranging from brand new never used to grungy looking.....I'd going to clean them up and see what I have. Any advice on proper care or restoration of these tapes is welcome. TIA.

I've got one reel of Quantegy tape that was never used, it's a couple years old but in like new condition. Other brands I have are Maxell, Scotch, Memorex, etc....
Unless the gungy tapes have material you want to retrieve, toss them. You don't want to contaminate your machine. Same with Quantegy 406/407 and 456/457 because they will have by now succumbed to sticky-shed syndrome which will not only gunk up a machine but could ruin the heads and guides. Scotch/3M 226 & 250 are also sticky-shed magnets. The other brands you have should be ok assuming they aren't full of crud.

Why not just buy a few reels of new currently produced tape? You'll save yourself a lot of grief in the long run.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD