The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 02-23-2020, 03:01 PM

Default Q for Emerald X7 Owners

Anyone play is the classical position (guitar on left knee)? How would you rate its comfort level?

If you play it right the first time, it's not hard enough.

Breedlove Exotic CM Classic E: Red Cedar/Black Walnut
Bedell Angelica Bellissima Parlor: Sunken Cedar/EIR
Breedlove Crossover OO Mandolin: Sitka/Maple
Old 02-23-2020, 03:35 PM
Charter Member

You certainly can and I did on occasion (back when I had an X7) but the smaller body size and extreme comfort level of the Emerald body contours makes it unnecessary to play in that position for comfort. The only guitars I ever find uncomfortable to play in that position are very long scale guitars as it makes the reach of left hand far and fatigues the left shoulder rather quickly.
Old 02-23-2020, 05:14 PM
Charter Member

I play mine like that. Works great.
Old 02-23-2020, 06:25 PM

I feel that one of the best benefits to smallish guitars is that you can play them on either knee. With larger guitars I have found I'm more comfortable playing standing, but even then still prefer to slant my guitar at at least a 30 degree angle.
Old 02-24-2020, 09:57 AM
Charter Member

That is the only way I play guitar and the X7 plays wonderfully that way for me.
Taylor Custom Grand Concert Master Grade koa, Taylor K22ce 12-fret AA koa, Emerald X7 "Kauai" (custom painted artwork), Grimes Hapa nylon, Benedetto Andy, Kanile'a GL6 Guitalele, Moore Bettah and KoAloha custom ukuleles, Rob Allen Mouse koa bass
Old 02-24-2020, 11:21 AM

Thanks for the responses. I love the look of their woodies and I think a short scale may be in my future. Too bad it's so difficult to find one to audition.

Old 02-24-2020, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _zedagive View Post
Thanks for the responses. I love the look of their woodies and I think a short scale may be in my future. Too bad it's so difficult to find one to audition.
I've felt the same way but these get snagged up here very quickly on the AGF on the used market. That assuming you even see an X7 up for sale in the first place- may be saying something.

I'm gassing for the same guitar
Old 02-24-2020, 06:14 PM

Bought my dream guitar (the CM Exotic) shortly after purchasing the Exotic Fingerstylist, thinking I could never afford the CM (but surprisingly got an unbelievable price from Righteous Guitars). Now I need to sell the Fingerstylist to recover some funds. I'm also going to sell my Focus SE since I rarely play it as the CM is just perfect in every way given my playing style.

I think a short scale will be next and the Emeralds are really appealing aesthetically and from what I've heard on youtube and from owners on this forum. It looks like you gotta be very quick to get one of their monthly releases as the woodies get snapped up before you know it.

Old 02-25-2020, 10:35 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
You are in San Diego? I will be down there this June. I know that is a bit far away from now but I have X7 guitars in both steel and nylon string. I would be happy to bring one or both with me for you to try out if you have not ordered or played one by then.

Alternatively, I live in the Long Beach area and would be willing to meet you halfway in Orange County before that.
Taylor Custom Grand Concert Master Grade koa, Taylor K22ce 12-fret AA koa, Emerald X7 "Kauai" (custom painted artwork), Grimes Hapa nylon, Benedetto Andy, Kanile'a GL6 Guitalele, Moore Bettah and KoAloha custom ukuleles, Rob Allen Mouse koa bass
Old 02-25-2020, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedwahine View Post
You are in San Diego? I will be down there this June. I know that is a bit far away from now but I have X7 guitars in both steel and nylon string. I would be happy to bring one or both with me for you to try out if you have not ordered or played one by then.

Alternatively, I live in the Long Beach area and would be willing to meet you halfway in Orange County before that.
Thanks!. Let me know your plans when it's closer to June and hopefully we can meet up.

Old 02-25-2020, 11:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thanks!. Let me know your plans when it's closer to June and hopefully we can meet up.
Sounds good. Will do...

Edit: looks like I may be going the end of March too. If so, I will PM you my cell and we can set up a meeting if you can meet during the day on 3/30 or 3/31.

Last edited by wickedwahine; 02-25-2020 at 11:56 AM.
Old 02-25-2020, 08:25 PM
Charter Member

I play my X7 on my left thigh exclusively with out problem.
Old 02-25-2020, 09:05 PM
Charter Member

I have played my X7 every way you can imagine... OK, I haven't done the "behind my head" thing with it. Yet. Seriously, the Gen 2 X7 I have is still the most comfortable acoustic I've played. After hip replacement last year, I played it while reclined...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber