The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 09-08-2019, 12:12 PM

Default body size question

When it comes to non amplified carbon fiber guitars in general, what body size would be most suited to moderate strumming and bluegrass and Carter-style flatpicking, as well as be most easily transitioned to for someone accustomed to all wood guitars? I'm guessing dreadnaught, but wanted to ask those more knowledgeable than myself. Anything in particular you'd recommend?
Old 09-08-2019, 12:25 PM

I have two suggestions: Rainsong WS-1000 or other WS body, and the Emerald X20. I play both semi-regularly at open jams and at bluegrass jams. Neither lacks anything in terms of tone or volume.

The Rainsong WS is quite loud, works well for finger picking, and produces plenty of volume for a bluegrass jam when flat picked. The tighter waist adds a bit of tonal focus and tames excessive bass. A jam buddy has the DR-1000 and it works great too, but with a typical dreadnought voice (a bit of tubbiness) to it. The DR is actually a bit louder than a WS. I've had mine since 2001 and love it. The Emerald X20 is a do-everything guitar for me, with plenty of volume, really nice tone and lots of comfort due to the bevels. It is a GA sized instrument but feels one size smaller. That is true for most of the Emerald guitars too - the bevels make it feel one size smaller than the body dimensions indicate.

CA makes a nice dreadnought, and others here speak highly of the Gx (grand auditorium size) or the Ox (orchestra model or OM size). I have never owned either, so will withhold any comments except to say that they are very nice too, and CA has a reputation for sounding the most "woody" of the carbon fiber guitars.
Old 09-08-2019, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyg View Post
what body size would be most suited to moderate strumming and bluegrass and Carter-style flatpicking, as well as be most easily transitioned to for someone accustomed to all wood guitars?
What size wooden guitar do you play now?

If you like Dreads, look at a Rainsong or Composite Acoustics Dread.

Otherwise, the WS mentioned above is a great choice.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 09-08-2019, 03:59 PM

Bluegrass you say...and carbon fiber together...it would be hard to beat an Emerald X30 in that regard. Lots of volume to compete with the banjos and plenty of comfort from a big body guitar. It'll feel about the size of a dreadnought but more comfortable due to the ergonomics.
Old 09-12-2019, 02:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarLuva View Post
Bluegrass you say...and carbon fiber together...it would be hard to beat an Emerald X30 in that regard. Lots of volume to compete with the banjos and plenty of comfort from a big body guitar. It'll feel about the size of a dreadnought but more comfortable due to the ergonomics.
I've understood that X30 has strong lows, while X20 would be more of an allrounder. Matter of taste, of course.
and a guitar-shaped-object
Old 09-12-2019, 04:21 AM
Charter Member

Another vote for Rainsong's dreadnought......
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 11-20-2021 at 07:07 AM.
Old 09-12-2019, 04:27 AM

I do think bigger is better for strumming. One more vote for Emerald X30 although OM size is my favourite

Grace Felix
L.R.Baggs Mixpro
Zoom A3

Trace Elliot TA40CR
Henriksen the Bud ten
Old 09-12-2019, 05:26 AM
Charter Member

I have owned a lot of different carbon guitars from a lot of the mentioned makers. I play in a trio that does cover some quasi bluegrass tunes. One of the best I ever had was an older Composite Acoustics Bluegrass model with the Fishman Aura system barn door preamp. I'm assuming you might want to plug in some.? But, acoustically it was really close to a Martin Dread type tone.

At the time I had this some 12 years ago there was not near the amount of choices offered by Emerald & Rainsong. I did own a 12 fret Rainsong dread that sounded huge but it suffered from the bridge not being placed in the right spot as the intonation suffered as you went up the neck. If you stayed in the first or cowboy chord position you were good but venture up past the 5th fret and things started to go a stray.

I own an X20 & X30 and they are both awesome guitars and are a more refined sound. The X30 definitely has more bass provided and maybe slightly more volume. They are great all around guitars but if I had a specific type sound like a great bluegrass Martin type guitar I would not think the Emeralds at least in my opinion are the best choice for this. But, They are great guitars with awesome tone that you might enjoy even more?

If you like a Wooden Dread sound you might want to look at the new Rainsongs or don't count out looking for a CA dread either. They don't get as much love around here anymore but they are great guitars as well. If you don't mind buying used you can find some great deals on them various places.

Best of luck to you!
Iris Smeck Slope Shoulder Dread
Iris AB Model
Many Takamine Pro series
Godin A8 Mandolin
Old 09-12-2019, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benderman57 View Post
I did own a 12 fret Rainsong dread that sounded huge but it suffered from the bridge not being placed in the right spot as the intonation suffered as you went up the neck. If you stayed in the first or cowboy chord position you were good but venture up past the 5th fret and things started to go a stray.
I've got two 12 fret RainSongs and previously had a CH-WS. All three have/had intonation that was spot on (the outro to Hotel California uses the very last fret!).

Did you contact RainSong about repair or replacement?
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 09-12-2019, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perttime View Post
I've understood that X30 has strong lows, while X20 would be more of an allrounder. Matter of taste, of course.
Correct on all accounts. However, I think people are getting the wrong impression on the X30. For a bigger body guitar it has a good tonal balance and I used it for all styles of music. Would I use the X20 for bluegrass if that's all I had, absolutely. I would choose the X30 over it though but as you said it's more of a personal thing. I think the X30 would server a grasser well among others. There's several good choices mentioned in this thread and at the end of the day you can't go wrong with any of them.
Old 09-12-2019, 07:01 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
I've got two 12 fret RainSongs and previously had a CH-WS. All three have/had intonation that was spot on (the outro to Hotel California uses the very last fret!).

Did you contact RainSong about repair or replacement?
Yes I did contact them at the time. This has been around 4 years ago. I had bought it used so there was no mention from them about making it right even though I told them I thought that was not really right in my mind. They were nice enough about it overall but just said since I was not the original owner I was kinda out of luck unless I wanted to pay to have it fixed. I sold it to someone who would it would never probably be an issue to as they were very much a beginner but I did tell and show them the issue it had. Most people who only strum chords in the first position would have never know even me. It was only when I did some things up the neck especially chords that I noticed the problem.

Over the phone I really don't think they believed me to tell you the truth but there was clearly something wrong with it as I tried different stings first off thinking there might be something wrong with them.

I had it to two different guitar builders and they both came up with the same results. Bridge was placed wrong. I did put in a way more compensated saddle that I had made and this did help somewhat.

In the end the very accurate tuners they used just don't lie. You could do the same intonation test with other guitars and they were spot on or at least very, very close.

Unfortunately this is more common than you would would think. A well respected builder/repairman in my area has run across this on a lot of Gibson acoustics from some time periods.

I'm sure this was an isolated problem as I've owned several other types of Rainsongs (though they were 14 fret models) with no issue like this. Plus I'm sure if this was common we would surely have read about it here on the forum.
Iris Smeck Slope Shoulder Dread
Iris AB Model
Many Takamine Pro series
Godin A8 Mandolin
Old 09-12-2019, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarLuva View Post
For a bigger body guitar it has a good tonal balance and I used it for all styles of music. Would I use the X20 for bluegrass if that's all I had, absolutely. I would choose the X30 over it though but as you said it's more of a personal thing. I think the X30 would server a grasser well among others. There's several good choices mentioned in this thread and at the end of the day you can't go wrong with any of them.
To which I will add that a good friend of mine who plays bluegrass and Americana styles has always been a big Martin fan and even built his own D-28 clone at a lutherie school three years ago. He now has an X30 and just loves it! He's even said that X30 could be his only guitar, if absolutely necessary.

I have both an X20 and an X30. X20 fits me perfectly and the X30, while awesome, is just a bit big for me - it puts my arms in a slightly different position that affects finger style accuracy for ragtime & Piedmont blues. I now play seated and use a strap all the time. If standing, the size of an X30 would be no issue at all. And if I were only strumming / flat picking then X30 would be a clear choice.
Old 09-12-2019, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
To which I will add that a good friend of mine who plays bluegrass and Americana styles has always been a big Martin fan and even built his own D-28 clone at a lutherie school three years ago. He now has an X30 and just loves it! He's even said that X30 could be his only guitar, if absolutely necessary.

I have both an X20 and an X30. X20 fits me perfectly and the X30, while awesome, is just a bit big for me - it puts my arms in a slightly different position that affects finger style accuracy for ragtime & Piedmont blues. I now play seated and use a strap all the time. If standing, the size of an X30 would be no issue at all. And if I were only strumming / flat picking then X30 would be a clear choice.
Yep I certainly agree if an X30 was the only guitar that I had I would be quite content using it for anything, including fingerstyle. I can understand the size being an issue for some, I grew up playing dreads. I do find the X20 comfortable, but it is on the borderline of being too small for me. I will also add that I'm still missing my X30 dearly. I've been through many guitars in my lifetime and have never missed one anywhere close to as bad as I'm missing the X30.
Old 09-12-2019, 10:37 AM

I love my CA Legacy dread.
Sounds great unplugged, very wood like tone i think. A bit heavy and a bit on the dark side. I use Elixir 80/20 hd strings to brighten up a bit. I find it very comfortable to hold.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber