The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 08-29-2019, 12:21 AM
Charter Member

Default Mediums or lights on X7 and x20?

Was wondering if anyone is using mediums on either their x7 or x20. Have been using elixir lights but thinking about trying mediums next
Old 08-29-2019, 03:00 AM
Charter Member

I’ve had both and have a new model X7 as my only acoustic now. I played lights on the X20, never tried mediums. On the X7, I’ve used both with varying degrees of success. My favorite strings on the X7 are DR Sunbeams and Martin Retros (Monels).

With the Sunbeams, I love lights and absolutely hated mediums. I don’t know if the mediums overwhelmed the relatively small body guitar or what, but they sounded awful to me - just didn’t have any of the the lushness or clarity of lights. They played fine, but didn’t sound fine. To me.

With the Martins, I’ve tried the Tony Rice strings, which are basically mediums with slightly lighter gauges on a couple of strings. They sound good, a bit fuller and louder than lights without getting muddy or undefined. I never felt they sounded notably better than lights, but about as good in a slightly different way. I’ve basically stayed with lights, but I may play the mediums again at some point.

In my experience, you can’t go wrong with lights on the X7, you may prefer mediums depending on the string, but you can go too big with that guitar and some mediums don’t sound as good as lights of the same string... It’s worth experimenting though...

-Ray
Old 08-29-2019, 10:32 AM

I tried a lot of different string gauges and had to bump down to custom lights on the X20. My favorite string gauge is bluegrass gauge and they just bring out too much bass on my X20. Even lights did for that matter. I can't speak for the X7 or anyone else's X20.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber