The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 08-27-2019, 12:45 PM

Default X20s and Anthems

I started to write this as a PM to GuitarLuva, but thought others may benefit from the discussion too.

I know GL hates this system for lots of reasons, but I've got a question about the heavy EQ he's mentioned a few times.

What kind of adjustments were necessary for you? My installation is giving me a LOT of bass. If I run the mic at maximum (max level via the tiny screw, and max blend) it approaches balanced but does not get there. I can get it balanced if I run it through a PADI and pull the bass back to 8 or 9 o'clock, which seems excessive.

I've ordered a new saddle in the hopes that I can sand this one flatter. It's too low anyway. I'm honestly not sure if the huge bass is a string balance issue.

I did attach the UST cable to the top as per the installation instructions. I think this helped.

All thoughts welcome!
Old 08-28-2019, 11:01 AM

Okay, I wouldn't say I hate the Anthem but I'm definitely not a huge fan. I'm yet to have the element UST portion not have a negative impact on the unplugged tone of a guitar I had it in. I do find the tru-mic to be very harsh (trebly) and I found I had to use some serious EQ to get a plugged in tone I was happy with. I never experienced the "guitar only louder" with this system which others claim.

So to answer your question, here's what I did in the end after much experimentation. I mounted the tru-mic on the bottom of the guitar, basically directly under the location that it would go on the soundboard. I found this helped remove some of the harshness. I always ran the preamp with the blend knob set at the 100% mic. To set the mic level control I would dial the adjustment all the way clockwise and slowly back it off until the sound started to get muddy and than gently go clockwise just a small touch again. I still had to EQ out the highs a bit to get a sound I was happy with.

From your description it sounds like your saddle is not completely flat and pressing harder on the low strings. I hope you don't have an uneven saddle slot like my X20 did so keep that in the back of your head. Sounds like you're getting a new saddle anyways so it would be nice to know if your current saddle is causing your issue. If I were you here's what I would do next. Make sure your current saddle is completely flat and gently sand it if it's not. Make sure the element UST is seated properly. When you put your saddle back on, give it a generous push downward. I also recommend just putting on your D & G strings (up to pitch) leaving the others off for about an hour or so. Baby steps! Try that and see where you're at.
Old 08-29-2019, 08:59 AM

Thanks for the tips! I'll be experimenting a bit more in a few days.

Another variable I thought of is headphones - the set I was using is moderately bass-heavy; I have a couple other decent sets to try.
Old 08-29-2019, 09:17 AM

I had an anthem in my X20. My experience is that it had very low output. I couldn’t seem to get any answers from LR Baggs other than “that’s just the way it is”. I have since removed the Anthem and installed a Schatten HFN active pickup and am very happy with it.
Fender Ukelele

https://youtube.com/channel/UC7aq_u2nyCgtIPffgyWob1A
Old 08-29-2019, 09:18 AM

No problem with output here...just the bass. Thanks though! If I can't get it sorted then the HFN is one I may try.
Old 08-29-2019, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danz567 View Post
I had an anthem in my X20. My experience is that it had very low output. I couldn’t seem to get any answers from LR Baggs other than “that’s just the way it is”. I have since removed the Anthem and installed a Schatten HFN active pickup and am very happy with it.
The output of the Anthem is very "weird". Very guitar dependent it seems. I tested the same Anthem system in a bunch of different guitars and was amazed at how different the outputs were.

The Schatten HFN quickly became my favorite pickup. Very minimalist install, sounds like a mic, is passive (though you can get active), and has amazing feedback rejection for a SBT. An all around winner. Not to mention I only paid $104 cad for my last one (brand new).

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber