The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-03-2020, 11:36 AM

Welcome to the AGF and Happy Birthday!
All the best.
LK
Old 04-03-2020, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lkristians View Post
Welcome to the AGF and Happy Birthday!
All the best.
LK
Thank you. Guess I gave myself a guitar for my birthday... and found a place to belong!
Old 04-03-2020, 12:00 PM

Welcome to the forum. Lots of great folks here.

Your Breedlove looks great. I have played a few, can't complain. They did get some consideration before I bought my last couple of guitars.
2019 Takamine GD93
2022 Takamine GJ72CE 6-String
2022 Cort GA-QF CBB
1963 Gibson SG
2016 Kala uke
Dean A style mandolin. (Year unknown)
Lotus L80 (1984ish)
Plus a few lower end I have had for years
Old 04-03-2020, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstaight View Post
Welcome to the forum. Lots of great folks here.

Your Breedlove looks great.
Thank you! I can't wait to look at it! I know it will be fine.
Old 04-03-2020, 12:18 PM

Welcome to the forum.

I have a concert-size Breedlove with a red-cedar top. I bought it for a stage guitar and have found it to be completely adequate that use. I use it mostly for outdoor gigs. I've added a pickguard to mine, and am glad I did.

The guitar doesn't sound small, especially plugged in, but if I do an A/B comparison with my Martin dreadnought it doesn't have the depth. Then again, almost nothing does.

Go ahead and give it a test run with the stock pickup before you start making plans to replace it. I'm impressed enough with the EOM sound for anything this side of recording.

The Breedlove playability is wonderful, and is probably one of the reasons Breedlove has a devout, almost cultic following on AGF. Here's hoping you enjoy that birthday present!
Old 04-03-2020, 12:25 PM
Charter Member

Welcome and happy birthday! As for the Breedlove, I'm sure you'll enjoy it. You've been playing for awhile, so you'll know once it's in your hands. Don't forget to experiment with different string types/brands!
Old 04-03-2020, 12:26 PM

Welcome aboard!

And congrats on your new guitar purchase!
Old 04-03-2020, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManyMartinMan View Post
You stated Breedlove Exotic Pursuit. Did you get Concert, Concertina, Companion......? Also the woods will have a bit to contribute to that sound.
Congratulations on your purchase.
Thank you ManyMartinMan,

The only regrets I had about my Talor 810 were the piezo, and the fact that it wasnt a d18.... Acoustically it was a SUPER GUITAR, for flatpicking mostly, but it would give you EVERYTHING... the piezo just sunk it when playing live....

I quote you because the thing that fascinates me most about breedlove is the exclusivity of woods.

On some models they only make two or 3 units... not 10,000!

That kinda makes me feel like the guitar I'm getting is special.... and I need a special guitar.

Even my $130,00 Yamaha is special.... but its hard on my old fingers.

If I spent 4 grand, then they are ALL exquisite.... but I cAN ONLY SPEND $750 MAX right now.... So, the fact that no two Breedloves are alike, kinda justifies it for me a little bit. They are all made from different wood configurations... and Most dont have BIG sound, but they have a SPECIAL sound, and it's a beautiful one.

Granted, a cheap guitar isnt going to sound like a big one... $750 is still cheAP... (Sadly).

But its going to be a special sound, because, they dont make long runs....and very guitar is different.

So that influenced the decision...

Maybe this guitar needs me as much as I need it.

I sure think its beautiful, and this aged color just screamed to me.

I put a link to it in the OP, BTW. I was placed low, near signature, so I dont blame you for not seeing it.
Old 04-03-2020, 01:03 PM

About a year ago I picked up a 2 year old 814ce DLX (2017 X braced), but as I was trying it out in the shop I also tried a custom Breedlove they had. It was quite a bit less money than the Taylor. It played really well, and sounded nice too - just a little less low end than the Taylor, but I wouldn't say it was lacking. Unplugged they were pretty close, but when I plugged them in the Taylor dominated it. I'm sure it was due to the choice of under-saddle pickup they had chosen for that guitar, but since I would be playing plugged in a lot it was major issue for me. Had that particular Breedlove had a better pickup/preamp system installed I may have saved a good chunk of $ and been a Breedlove owner. Point being, Breedlove makes really nice guitars, but in my case the choice of electronics in that particular instrument just didn't work for me. I did play some other Breedloves while I was there and was really impressed, even with their lower priced models.
Old 04-03-2020, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srbell View Post
About a year ago I picked up a 2 year old 814ce DLX (2017 X braced), but as I was trying it out in the shop I also tried a custom Breedlove they had. It was quite a bit less money than the Taylor. It played really well, and sounded nice too - just a little less low end than the Taylor, but I wouldn't say it was lacking. Unplugged they were pretty close, but when I plugged them in the Taylor dominated it. I'm sure it was due to the choice of under-saddle pickup they had chosen for that guitar, but since I would be playing plugged in a lot it was major issue for me. Had that particular Breedlove had a better pickup/preamp system installed I may have saved a good chunk of $ and been a Breedlove owner. Point being, Breedlove makes really nice guitars, but in my case the choice of electronics in that particular instrument just didn't work for me. I did play some other Breedloves while I was there and was really impressed, even with their lower priced models.
I agree..., but in my case.... the places I play, I've come to understand that Im the only one who really notices, or is bothered by it (; a non breathing pickup against the bridge...I really hate that; such a shame of an idea).

I guess it's our job to just remember that 1: The audience doesnt know or care, and 2: It's our job to make each guitar sing as well as it can, and help it reach it's own potential. Thank you for this great response. Very much appreciated and empathized with.

It's a "re" start.... I have a responsibility to let this guitar live it's life...and sing... in it's own way, ultimately. Someday I will get another 814 with a condenser (so airy...)... that one helped "ME" sing. I hope this one is ready to go out and play, and become itself, and that I can help "it" sing. . I hope to bring it's beauty out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bufflehead View Post
Go ahead and give it a test run with the stock pickup before you start making plans to replace it. I'm impressed enough with the EOM sound for anything this side of recording.
Thanks!

Last edited by Shadow2013; 04-03-2020 at 01:32 PM.
Old 04-03-2020, 01:52 PM
Charter Member

Welcome to the AGF! I have a Breedlove Concertina - which is smaller than your Concert. Even at that small (00) size, mine is surprising "big" in terms of sound. And I've always appreciated the quality of Breedlove guitars. Yours looks great - I'm sure you'll love it.
Old 04-03-2020, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayfair View Post
Welcome and happy birthday! As for the Breedlove, I'm sure you'll enjoy it. You've been playing for awhile, so you'll know once it's in your hands. Don't forget to experiment with different string types/brands!

I figure 12's are always best... but I dont know... at this age I question alot of things I use to be sure about.... I just learned that Johnny Highland, and many players do 9's! That use to be taboo to me, but, after 40 years, maybe I am becoming more objective... IDK. You are right, I will find the gauge and brand that marries this guitar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
Welcome to the AGF! I have a Breedlove Concertina - which is smaller than your Concert. Even at that small (00) size, mine is surprising "big" in terms of sound. And I've always appreciated the quality of Breedlove guitars. Yours looks great - I'm sure you'll love it.
Thanks, Kevin H!
Old 04-03-2020, 03:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow2013 View Post
Hey guys! I just joined. Cant believe I never joined before. Great forum!

The reason I joined today is because I have been playing guitar for forty years....

I started out long ago on a guitar I bought for ten bucks at a yard sale.... then through the years I ended up getting spoiled and playing only guitars that were over 3 grand... I have had the Taylor 810, and also 814...and an array of really nice ones over the years...

After a divorce a few years back.... I ended up with a 100 dollar yamaha...

I have used it to play professionally alot, believe it or not...with a cheap sound-hole pickup... it sounds great and all but... you know...I miss having an ebony fretboard...

So today is my birthday... I got up this morning and ordered a guitar from zzounds... I tried to resist the urge, but it's time for me to have at least a halfway decent guitar...

So against my better judgement , I chose one online and ordered it... It is a mid priced breedlove exotic pursuit.

Not sure iof I made the right decision. I've never played small bodied guitars...so, I hope it works out.

I guess my two main concerns are:

1: Will it sound too small?
2: I like a little wider string spacing, so it may be hard to get used to... string spacing looks a little tight.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? I have played breedlove's before, but never payed attention to the models... They have all sounded good, but I think they were maybe bigger bodies...This one I felt I could afford and for $700 , it seems strikingly beautiful to me... not an 814, but... here is a pic. It arrives tuesday. Anxious, and crossing my fingers for a great experience. I know its not wise to pay before you play...but it's my birthday man, I had to do SOMETHING...

Thanks.

Here is the guitar I bought (Below).

https://www.zzounds.com/item--BREPSC...SAAEgJwA_D_BwE
Welcome and Happy Birthday!!

That Breedlove looks really sweet. Been thinking of picking up one of their 12-string myself! I recently played one of their Organic concerts and, as others have said, it's bigger than you might think. The neck was even more comfy than some of their Discover models and had a nut that I swear was a touch wider than the published 1 11/16"!

Enjoy your new guitar and remember - it didn't happen unless there are photos!!!
2010 Squier Vintage Modified Jazzmaster
1974 Rickenbacker 4001 Bass
Old 04-03-2020, 07:00 PM

Welcome to the forum. Thinking of picking up a Breedlove myself. Always liked the ones I have played in the past.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion