The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-03-2020, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulzoom View Post
You can't go wrong with a H&D.
I've never met an H&D guitar that wasn't stellar. I have only played Ft. Bragg models.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlington View Post
...Would it be correct to describe the DS Crossroads as a mix between a Martin D18 and a Gibson J45? Best of both worlds?
Not to me. It's not a Gibson and doesn't sound like a Gibson. It's not a Martin and definitely doesn't sound like a Martin. Because there is no part-Martin/part-Gibson sound or formula, there isn't a halfy-halfy sound. If you want Martin sound, get a Martin. If you want the J-45 sound, get a J-45. Listen to and/or play some H&D and decide if THAT sound is what you want.
Old 04-03-2020, 10:08 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManyMartinMan View Post
Not to me. It's not a Gibson and doesn't sound like a Gibson. It's not a Martin and definitely doesn't sound like a Martin. Because there is no part-Martin/part-Gibson sound or formula, there isn't a halfy-halfy sound. If you want Martin sound, get a Martin. If you want the J-45 sound, get a J-45. Listen to and/or play some H&D and decide if THAT sound is what you want.
I don't disagree with that at all but since we are all left to our homes and test playing guitars is not an option, probably for several months, we do our best to understand models/tones/brands we haven't' tried yet via online discussions. It is less than perfect but all we have at the moment. Cheers!
Old 04-03-2020, 10:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
I had a custom ordered H&D built for me in 2008.

It was the 12 fret version -so DS12.

You know what they say about if you can't say anything good, don't say anything ?

Well .................................................. .........................

All I will say is check it out VERY carefully before you buy.

More detail? - PM me.
SM, I know you had a terrible experience with H&D, and I am the same way - if you burn my bridge it stays down, so I can respect that sentiment, but it seems like so many others can vouch for H&D quality, craftsmanship and service, so, unfortunately, you seem to have been an outlier. Which really sucks for you, but it is great that you share your experience.
Old 04-03-2020, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlington View Post
I don't disagree with that at all but since we are all left to our homes and test playing guitars is not an option, probably for several months, we do our best to understand models/tones/brands we haven't' tried yet via online discussions. It is less than perfect but all we have at the moment. Cheers!
So why be in a hurry/rush to buy something you don't know and can't evaluate properly? Buying in a "less than perfect" situation seems like a bad financial decision. To me buying a guitar should come down to deciding what you want and buying it, not "what do you guys/gals think about this guitar". I feel that if you can't properly evaluate something so you feel confident to purchase it, maybe a delay until you can might be in order. It's just different strokes. I don't buy guitars I don't know or know in advance I love.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion