The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-03-2020, 05:13 AM

Here's the $2.00 box I use, this time with picks in it. Very small and compact. It can hold 15, 1.0'' picks in any slot. Any of the dividers can be removed if you need a slot double or quadruple sized.

Old 04-03-2020, 05:15 AM

I have 2 wooden boxes for home. I divide that into electric and acoustic. That being said, my acoustic picks "tend" to stay on my console next to my chair and electric picks on the music stand. When I play out, I use a John Pearse zipper pouch.
Old 04-03-2020, 06:00 AM
Charter Member

I don't use enough different stuff to need a big organizer. I've been through some picks, figuring out what I like. But today, when I sit down to play, this is always on the table in front of me, next to my iPad, in front of my amp.

unnamed-2 by Ray, on Flickr

The red one (a Red Bear) is my primary acoustic pick - I use it probably 80-90% of the time. On days when my ears hear my acoustics as too plinky, or zingy, and I need a mellower sound, I'll use the Blue Chip in the middle. This is not about the guitars - I only have two acoustics, but some days I hear 'em differently so the Blue Chip is there for "bad ears days". I guess similar to bad hair days, but different. The orange on on the right is my electric pick - it's a Charmed Life. And then my thumb and finger picks in the back and my trusty Shubb at the ready when a capo is called on.

All of the picks are 1.5mm - the ones I almost always use are both casein, the zingy acoustic ear days pick is Vespel. The two acoustic picks have very rounded corners - the electric pick has very sharp pointy corners. I have an extra of everything you see here, plus a bunch of assorted things I use roughly never anymore (but haven't gotten around to selling yet), in this:

0 by Ray, on Flickr

0-1 by Ray, on Flickr

-Ray
Old 04-03-2020, 06:08 AM
Charter Member

That box with the fretboard top is really cool!
Old 04-03-2020, 06:28 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickstep192 View Post
That was a birthday gift from my wife sometime in the last couple of years. No idea where she got it, but, yeah, it was about the perfect gift...

-Ray
Old 04-03-2020, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
That was a birthday gift from my wife sometime in the last couple of years. No idea where she got it, but, yeah, it was about the perfect gift...

-Ray
Another plus for your accessories box! I made a similar desktop box for tuner, capo, and a few spare picks:

Old 04-03-2020, 07:22 AM

Having read this thread I am now realizing that I should have more than the 3 picks I own. I feel GAS coming on...

...and no, I'm not gonna buy more picks. You guys must have been in self-isolation for too long
Old 04-03-2020, 08:29 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 Strings MI View Post
Some great ideas here. Thanks to all!

I should have mentioned that I use standard picks exclusively. And regarding OCD, I've never been formally diagnosed with it, but I have a theory that everyone who was in the military and did not ship out on a failure-to-adapt discharge will have it to some degree. Were it not for lack of bags, I wouldn't have colors and patterns mixed.

After 24 years in the military I have pick, capo, tuner (plus strap and guitar!) stored where they should be - ready for immediate action
Old 04-03-2020, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin, Wales View Post
After 24 years in the military I have pick, capo, tuner (plus strap and guitar!) stored where they should be - ready for immediate action
Having a guitar ready for immediate action isn't practical for me, what with rambunctious cats. I was contemplating the purchase of a clip-on tuner, but that's a subject better discussed in another thread.
Old 04-03-2020, 09:24 AM

I find the boxes from a G7th capo works well. Not fancy but functional.Image.jpg

Various stringed instruments
Old 04-03-2020, 09:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 Strings MI View Post
Having a guitar ready for immediate action isn't practical for me, what with rambunctious cats. I was contemplating the purchase of a clip-on tuner, but that's a subject better discussed in another thread.
I've heard you can turn rambunctious cats into good sets of strings
Old 04-03-2020, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickstep192 View Post
I've seen those on Etsy.com
Old 04-03-2020, 10:00 AM
Charter Member

I'm glad I don't use a pick. All of this pick talk is giving my anxiety
Old 04-03-2020, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
These tins are great - no-one touches them for some reason.

Old 04-04-2020, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzereh View Post
Having read this thread I am now realizing that I should have more than the 3 picks I own. I feel GAS coming on...

...and no, I'm not gonna buy more picks. You guys must have been in self-isolation for too long
lol, this thread was supposed to give pick storage solutions but it's actually going to be a 'I need more picks' thread.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion