The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 03-10-2020, 06:14 AM
Charter Member

Default Roswell Audio Mini K47 Condenser Mic??

I'm looking to buy the best vocal/acoustic guitar mic my $$s can muster. So far the reviews on the Roswell Audio Mini K47 seems exceptional for the bucks.

One aspect reported in reviews is the lack of sibilance in vocal records while is attractive to me, one singer I work with produces a lot o sibilance.

I'm curious if anyone owns one of these and how it's working for you??
Old 03-10-2020, 07:39 AM

I like my Mini K47 very much. I bought it as a alternative to using my Rode NT1 and found that I do prefer the K47 exactly because of the decrease upper end emphasis that the NT1 (as well as my other import LDC) possesses.

All in all the mini K47 is a very pleasing LDC with a pleasant "smoothness" that's adaptable to many situations. It's a really well built mic that I'm surprised doesn't get more attention. I think perhaps that the "smoothness" is exactly why more folks don't give it high marks. Since it's positioned at what I'd consider the upper end of "entry level" possibly most of the potential users are impressed by the typical import LDC "sparkle" exibited by most of it's competitors. It's a mic best appreciated by users that aren't looking for the high end polish that mics in this category usually display.

Another plus (as far as I'm concerned) is its resistance to external bumps and plosives. I find I can often use it on a stand without a shock mount so I'm more likely to use it. That must have something to do with the weight of the smallish body and the capsule mount, but whatever they did to keep external noise down works for me.

It benefits from a pop screen of course, but its quite usable without a pop filter if you sing just a bit off axis so the capsule isn't in the direct "line of fire".

I'm a fan.
Old 03-10-2020, 08:52 AM
Charter Member

Excellent Rudy4! thanks. your comments mirror the reviews I've seen. The sonic attributes sound prefect for my needs. I just ordered one!
Old 03-10-2020, 01:58 PM
Charter Member

Be interested to hear how you like it for your vocal work (which is the hard one to pin down until you try it, no matter specs and reviews ). It did get an overall decent review in Sound on Sound. With there being only a gradual slight rise in the 1k to 5k range it (5k being a 3 db peak )

The real trick in a vocal mic IMO is (besides if sounds good on any given specific voice) if it has presence, air, and depth, without being sibilant or strident in the high end

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 03-10-2020 at 02:21 PM.
Old 03-10-2020, 07:09 PM
Charter Member

I'm supposed to get it Thursday and I have my acoustic trio guys coming, if I get it in time I'll doing some recording and post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Be interested to hear how you like it for your vocal work (which is the hard one to pin down until you try it, no matter specs and reviews ). It did get an overall decent review in Sound on Sound. With there being only a gradual slight rise in the 1k to 5k range it (5k being a 3 db peak )

The real trick in a vocal mic IMO is (besides if sounds good on any given specific voice) if it has presence, air, and depth, without being sibilant or strident in the high end

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD